Apple Computer Appreciation Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
One, I'm a techie kind of guy. I like to 'play' with my computers. By 'play', I mean having total flexibility in customizing my computers, and that means software AND hardware. Software-wise, Macs are very flexible, no arguement. But hardware-wise, Macs use propietary hardware and it is a bitch to replace them or upgrade them. Doing that is much easier with PCs. Oh, and I HATE the one-button mice - although I'm sure there are two-button mice you can buy for Macs. But the hardware flexibility issue is one of the BIG reasons why I don't use Macs.
The only "proprietary" hardware left in modern Macs: the processor, motherboard, and chipset (and to be practical, the only bit of that you'd ever mess with is the CPU). Tinker all you want with anything else. When they transition over to Intel next year, I don't know what people are gonna complain about. Besides the mouse.

And really, the PowerPC is no more "proprietary" than the Intel stuff. There's more than one company making them (Apple itself buys them from more than one company, Freescale/Motorola for the G4s and IBM for the G5s). There's more than one company using them in their hardware. You can buy non-Apple PowerPC hardware, it's just costly due to economies of scale (yes, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a Mac).

Old 07-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

When they transition over to Intel next year, I don't know what people are gonna complain about. Besides the mouse.
probably that they still can't install os x on their shite dell.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

probably that they still can't install os x on their shite dell.
yeah, people are already moaning about that
Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
PC > Mac. Always.
That's like saying Toyota > Mercedes. You might love your Toyota, but c'mon. And the one button mouse thing is just good design. I can understand why you prefer a two-button mouse if that's what you're used to, but it's completely unnecessary.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #35
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Oh, and I HATE the one-button mice - although I'm sure there are two-button mice you can buy for Macs.
please don't use this pathetic thing as an actual reason why pcs are better, especially if you don't even have it down right. you can use any mouse with a mac, as long as it fits in one of the plugs (usb or firewire).

you are right about proprietary software, but it wasn't always that way. and it won't be that way anymore for very long, like typhoon said.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

you are right about proprietary software, but it wasn't always that way. and it won't be that way anymore for very long, like typhoon said.
it will still be proprietary in the sense that if you want to use os x, you're going to have to buy a computer directly from apple.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I can't play my video games on a mac. Otherwise, I love them.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #38
War Child

In a Fortune.com article, David Kirkpatrick talks about a recent interview with Michael Dell, CEO of Dell Computers.
So I emailed Michael Dell, now the company's chairman, and asked if he'd be interested in the Mac OS, assuming that Apple CEO Steve Jobs ever decides to license it to PC companies. (For now, Jobs says he won't.)

"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email. It's the first time any PC industry executive has openly shown enthusiasm for selling machines with Apple's software. Though that's all Dell would say for the record, I suspect his interest is not unknown to Jobs. So, as I said in this column last week, the ball is in Jobs' court.

Steve Jobs has made it clear that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company, and doesn't want to market the Mac OS as a standalone product for fears it would lose the "total package" integration provided by a closed-loop system.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:12 PM
ooh i can think of a complaint for my Mac [besides sometimes its difficult to receive/send files to PC users....& the msn messenger suck]... i have the powerbook g4 and the all the buttons arent very raised so it's all pretty smooth which causes me to make A LOT of typos for some reason. It doesnt occur with the computer in the other oom, just the laptop.. thats annoying especially when i reread a post and its only half legible
Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
My father has offered to buy me a laptop. I am not sure if I should get a dell laptop *which I am used to working on* or try the iBook.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

ibooks just underwent their latest revision last week, iris, and now come with 512 mb of ram standard...the $999 ibook is a great deal for the money if you're looking to go apple.

ibook family.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

you can use any mouse with a mac, as long as it fits in one of the plugs (usb or firewire).
actually, as long as you have bluetooth installed (i think it is standard in every mac now except perhaps the low end mini? i'm not sure off hand.) you can use a mouse with no plugs at all.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
thanks sweetie.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
thanks sweetie.
you're welcome
Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:12 AM