Apple Computer Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
One, I'm a techie kind of guy. I like to 'play' with my computers. By 'play', I mean having total flexibility in customizing my computers, and that means software AND hardware. Software-wise, Macs are very flexible, no arguement. But hardware-wise, Macs use propietary hardware and it is a bitch to replace them or upgrade them. Doing that is much easier with PCs. Oh, and I HATE the one-button mice - although I'm sure there are two-button mice you can buy for Macs. But the hardware flexibility issue is one of the BIG reasons why I don't use Macs.
The only "proprietary" hardware left in modern Macs: the processor, motherboard, and chipset (and to be practical, the only bit of that you'd ever mess with is the CPU). Tinker all you want with anything else. When they transition over to Intel next year, I don't know what people are gonna complain about. Besides the mouse.

And really, the PowerPC is no more "proprietary" than the Intel stuff. There's more than one company making them (Apple itself buys them from more than one company, Freescale/Motorola for the G4s and IBM for the G5s). There's more than one company using them in their hardware. You can buy non-Apple PowerPC hardware, it's just costly due to economies of scale (yes, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a Mac).

namkcuR said:
PC > Mac. Always.

That's like saying Toyota > Mercedes. You might love your Toyota, but c'mon. And the one button mouse thing is just good design. I can understand why you prefer a two-button mouse if that's what you're used to, but it's completely unnecessary.

namkcuR said:
Oh, and I HATE the one-button mice - although I'm sure there are two-button mice you can buy for Macs.
:lmao: please don't use this pathetic thing as an actual reason why pcs are better, especially if you don't even have it down right. you can use any mouse with a mac, as long as it fits in one of the plugs (usb or firewire). :|

you are right about proprietary software, but it wasn't always that way. and it won't be that way anymore for very long, like typhoon said.

KhanadaRhodes said:

you are right about proprietary software, but it wasn't always that way. and it won't be that way anymore for very long, like typhoon said.

it will still be proprietary in the sense that if you want to use os x, you're going to have to buy a computer directly from apple.

In a Fortune.com article, David Kirkpatrick talks about a recent interview with Michael Dell, CEO of Dell Computers.
So I emailed Michael Dell, now the company's chairman, and asked if he'd be interested in the Mac OS, assuming that Apple CEO Steve Jobs ever decides to license it to PC companies. (For now, Jobs says he won't.)

"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email. It's the first time any PC industry executive has openly shown enthusiasm for selling machines with Apple's software. Though that's all Dell would say for the record, I suspect his interest is not unknown to Jobs. So, as I said in this column last week, the ball is in Jobs' court.

Steve Jobs has made it clear that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company, and doesn't want to market the Mac OS as a standalone product for fears it would lose the "total package" integration provided by a closed-loop system.

ooh i can think of a complaint for my Mac [besides sometimes its difficult to receive/send files to PC users....& the msn messenger suck]... i have the powerbook g4 and the all the buttons arent very raised so it's all pretty smooth which causes me to make A LOT of typos for some reason. It doesnt occur with the computer in the other oom, just the laptop.. thats annoying especially when i reread a post and its only half legible

KhanadaRhodes said:

you can use any mouse with a mac, as long as it fits in one of the plugs (usb or firewire).

actually, as long as you have bluetooth installed (i think it is standard in every mac now except perhaps the low end mini? i'm not sure off hand.) you can use a mouse with no plugs at all. :sexywink:

i hate apple computers actually i got an old one

twas about 4000 bucks and lasted for 2 years

HATEHATEHATE

just as a reminder, this is an apple APPRECIATION thread, so please don't come in here to post how much you hate apples. (this isn't directed at anyone in particular, as it's happened in this thread in the past as well.)

BUMP

I've been attempting to wait out Apple's official announcement of the the Mac Mini updated specs rather than order a Built To Order Mac Mini and hope for the best. Any advice?

Xavier

For those who don't know what I'm talking about when I say "waiting out the OFFICIAL updated specs for the Mac Mini."

from ThinkSecret

(http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509macmini2.html)

"Updated Mac minis arriving, details revealed [updated]

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor

September 27, 2005
- One week after Think Secret first brought word of pending Mac mini revision, the new models have started arriving.
advertisement

One source reported receiving a 1.5GHz Mac mini Tuesday, although the box still featured the old 1.42GHz label.

The new Mac mini is designated PowerMac10,2 following the previous model's PowerMac10,1 designation. It also features an updated Boot ROM version, 4.9.4f0 from 4.8.9f4.

The SuperDrive equipped Mac mini features a new 8x dual-layer SuperDrive from Matshita (Panasonic). The drive is specified as model UJ-845, although Matsushita only offers a UJ-845-B drive. According to the company's product page, the UJ-845-B supports 5x DVD-RAM burning along with 8x DVD+/-R support, 4x DVD+/-RW support, and 24x CD-R Support. DVD-RAM support is not enabled on the Apple drive, however.

The Mac mini's graphics card remains an ATI Radeon 9200 but now features double the VRAM at 64MB. The video card remains incapable of supporting Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger's Core Image technology. The hard drives have also been upgraded to 5,400-rpm models, as previously noted.

Lastly, the new Mac mini features Bluetooth 2.0+EDR support, as noted in our original report. The Bluetooth software is version 1.6.3f2 (the previous Mac mini used 1.6.0f2) with firmware version 3.1965 (previously 2.1586).

At press time Apple had yet to mention the Mac mini update on its Web site, although it is expected to do so later this week.

UPDATE: Sources have informed Think Secret that Mac mini box labels will continue to list the older specifications with no indication of whether the newer or older systems are contained within. The motivation behind this is to help clear current inventory without lowering prices. Essentially, customers are promised that the Mac mini they purchase will have specifications "at least" equal to the label, but that their system may exceed those. Customers who purchase a new Mac mini to find they ended up with the older configuration will not be able to return the system in the hopes of getting the newer configuration without paying a restocking fee."

Xavier
EdgeVox@aol.com

Last edited:
I have a question for all you apple ibook owners. Im planning on
getting a ibook soon and i would also like to get a few pc games
too and i was wondering will i need to update the ibook because
i noticed some of the specs. listed didnt seem to fit some of the minimum required for the games. Or maybe im wrong. any tips?

ipod = greated thing ever

the first computers i used in school were wicked old macs, and i liked them, but anything from when i was 12 and we bought a...whatever it was. i think it was a shitty, shitty compaq...i haven't gotten along with macs.

ipod, though :drool:

edgeboy said:
I have a question for all you apple ibook owners. Im planning on getting a ibook soon and i would also like to get a few pc games too and i was wondering will i need to update the ibook because i noticed some of the specs. listed didnt seem to fit some of the minimum required for the games. Or maybe im wrong. any tips?
are you looking at games for windows compatible computers? if so, you won't be able to play them on an ibook...i'm thinking this might be the case because unless you're wanting to play some really graphics intense games and you're looking at a bottom of the line ibook, you should be fine.

I love my U2 iPod, with its blue glowey screen and all :drool: It's going to last me at least another year until I upgrade to a 60gig 5th gen.

As far as Apple computers, love 'em. Used to have a Macintosh LC 575 back in the day (1995) before the brand became trendy. I'd love to get a 20-inch iMac G5, especially now they have a built-in iSight.

Well, when I have the 1700 bucks sitting around :) And then I have to listen to Adam Curry's podcast and he's bought like 3 :|

My 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini was $835 and I couldn't be happier....plus there's rumors that Intel Mac Minis will be unveiled in January...

Xavier

I have been using macs since the tender age of about 7, which lest I tell you is a long time! From the few years at work I've had to switch to <shudder> PCs, all I have to say is Mac=Orgasmic. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom