Anyone living/travelled to Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucky charms

War Child
Sorry for the clutter, but thought I would post here to see if anyone has any recommendations for hotels in Europe. Specifically Paris and Amsterdam. If anyone knows of any quaint little Inns - nothing like a Best Western or Holiday Inn - I am not travelling all that way to stay in a Holiday Inn if you know what I mean.

If anyone has any suggestions please post.

Thanks

I may plan on a side trip from Amsterdam to Ireland but by the looks of it, my trip is already ladened with side trips and train rides. Too bad though - I would have like to have surprised a few of my fellow IOers - but right now doesnt look good...although there are a few in the Netherlands as well. :lol: my gawd they're everywhere :ohmy:

Rono said:
What would you be able to spend for a hotel night ?

right now we are looking at about 190-240 Euro a night which with 50 cents on the Canuck dollar is a pretty penny. For example our hotel in Rome is costing us $320 Cdn/night. Yow.

Anywhere between 180-220 Euro would be nice to find.

Man I wish I could remember the name of the hotel in Paris...it's by the Sacre Coeur and it was a small little hotel...very homely and our view was WONDERFUL...we could actually see like Eiffel Tower and Arc De Triomphe from our window...it wasn't too expensive either. *racks brain*

190-240 Euro a night should be no problem, most of the big hotels are online anyway.

Last time i was in a hotel called "Aquarelle" in 38 Boulevard du temple 75000 Paris. But that one was a choosen because of:
-shower
-clean
-as cheap as possible

So i'm sure you get better things for the money you have ;)

I thought the rule of thumb was that if things are to expensive, move to the East. You may wind up in a hovel in Ulan Bator but hey - you will have the money to enjoy yourself.

This is not meant to be offensive to Mongolians, there are some great things in the Gobi desert like Velociraptor Mongoliensis and Protoceratops Andrewsi.

My goodness Europe is expensive

well pretty much all booked

We are staying in Paris at the Hotel Splendid. From photos we have a view of the Eiffel Tower - our hotel room will undoubtedly be on the other side of the building facing an alley Im sure :lol:

In Amsterdam staying at Die Port Van Cleve - looks very nice from the pictures this one I am looking forward to.

and in Brussels staying at Floris Grand Place simply because of sentimental reasons. Not the greatest place but where it is located is simply marvelous.

Rome havent figured that one out yet.

The thing that I dont understand is that why is it considered Hi season when Im going end of October. This is confusing to me and if I had known probably would have switched travel plans to low-season but what can ya do. Money money makes the world go round it seems.

Blarghing at my hotel costs :lol:

lucky charms said:

actually I think it is called stupidity

:lol:

But it must be nice to be able to have that choice, though. I can barely afford a Days Inn in a neighboring state once in awhile. :sigh: There has to be money there somewhere;)

If you are going to go, and you can pay, might as well make it the trip of a lifetime :love:

Re: My goodness Europe is expensive

lucky charms said:
Rome havent figured that one out yet.

The thing that I dont understand is that why is it considered Hi season when Im going end of October. This is confusing to me and if I had known probably would have switched travel plans to low-season but what can ya do. Money money makes the world go round it seems.

I don't know if its only Rome where it's high-season or also for other cities (I do know that is the case for Madrid/south of Spain). In any case, it may be because of the temperature. In summer it is just too darn hot in the south of Europe to visit a city properly. I know, because I just got back from Madrid. It was 30-35 degrees there (Celcius ;)).

C ya!

Marty (who did stay in a hostel)

Re: Re: My goodness Europe is expensive

Popmartijn said:

In summer it is just too darn hot in the south of Europe to visit a city properly. I know, because I just got back from Madrid. It was 30-35 degrees there (Celcius ;)).

Actually I don't think Southern Europe is that bad in the summer. I was born there and it's a dry type of heat, unlike say, the Caribbean where it's well into the 40s with the humidity. Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc are all worse in the summer than the south of Europe, it's so humid and hazy you feel like you can't breathe.

I never spend a lot on a hotel in Europe - my ass isn't there unless it's asleep anyway, lol. Elsewhere in the world, I'd pay more to make sure the water is filtered, etc.

when i went to paris, i stayed in a hotel with rent as 50 euro/day. it wasnt a great hotel..but i had no problems.

any place in france, italy or austria, you can easily get hotels from 50 euro onwards... i guess london would be a bit costly but i think you can get something with 50 pounds ..

but with 250+ euro a night, you need not worry in advance..you can easily book it as and when u reach any place..

this is for single bed..if its double bed..multiply all rates by 1.3 times.

just to give you an idea !!

Back
Top Bottom