Anyone know anything about Heidelburg, Germany?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
...so on my travels in Europe, I have to get from Frankfurt Airport down to Lausanne, Switzerland. Since I'm landing in Frankfurt around 3pm-ish, I thought I might take the train down to Heidelburg, spend the night there and see a bit in the town the next morning before continuing on down to Suisse.

Anyone know anything about it? Cheap places to stay? Hostels? Must-see castles and stuff?

I was there once...it's a beautiful city. I was just passing through and visited a friend who happened to be there but I didn't do much sightseeing as it was a spontaneous stop in my travels. There is a huge castle there that as I recall is the reason people visit, but I just had dinner with my friend and stayed overnight and took off the next morning. So I'm not much help.

hehe. That is useful info. :up: Now if I could only find out more about lodging. grr. One hostel so far but it sounds kinda trashy (but beggars can't be choosers, eh?)

Joyfulgirl is aboslutely right, Heidelberg is beautiful! I'm living about an hour away form there for the summer in Freiburg near the Swiss/French border, if there was a competition for the most picturesque city in Germany, Heidelberg would just about shade it ahead of Freiburg IMO. There is a large youth hostel there, it costs around 17 euros a night, pretty standard for Germany but less if u have a DJH card, try and book ahead though it does get pretty busy at this time of summer. The castle in Heidelberg is renown in Germany, possibly one of the finest in Europe, the Altstadt (old town) is also pretty interesting, the weather is amazing here as well!! Try and stop off at Freiburg too on your way to Switzerland, its just as nice as Heidelberg

All I know about Heidelberg is that there's an old castle-----------and I know that I visited it once-----------------
That wasn't a help I know. :D
U.2. R.O.K did a good job, though. :up:

U.2.R.O.K said:
Joyfulgirl is aboslutely right, Heidelberg is beautiful! I'm living about an hour away form there for the summer in Freiburg near the Swiss/French border....Try and stop off at Freiburg too on your way to Switzerland, its just as nice as Heidelberg

Y'know, last time I was staying in Switzerland (in the same place I am going to this time) I wanted to take a daytrip up to Freiburg, but never got the chance. Are you still gonna be there on August 26th? :D Cuz if so, I could swing through on my way down.

All I know about Heidelburg is that my relatives lived or that it was a city that my family established or something to that matter.

my last name is Heidel!:wink:

Yep! I'm working in a beer garden in Freiburg til the end of September before I go back to
Dublin, trying to improve my german a little bit and sampling some of the local produce :p
Freibutg is really cool, its a small enough city, nestled in the Black Forest, a magnificent cathedral and one of the oldest universities in Germanywith a large student population and plenty of Irish pubs!

cool stuff! I just checked the train schedules and my time-frame should allow for an hour or two stop in Freiburg. :yes: Check your PMs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom