Anyone Into Prog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isProgressive

The Fly
Well to me U2 is prog..whether alot of people don't see it..or not many people consider the music they like "prog"..or even b/c they are in the mainstream..(the fact they have such big crowds is maybe 1 concern i have for ever seeing them live).

Big shows= bad

Small, Intimate shows= good :up:

But I am wondering after getting to know Lilly somewhat..she didn't seem to be as into other prog bands as I wondered about. I am curious if anyone on here are more fanatic proggers like myself (but not OBSESSIVE i.e. Prog is all they listen to..b/c that gets to be redundant overall with little room to grow curiousity wise).

I'm talking people who are big fans of Dream Theater, Rush, Marillion, King's X, Queensryche, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Kansas, Queen, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, etc, etc..way too many to mention of course and those above are the WELL KNOWN bands, lol.

I find people who dig 1 prog band..dig other prog bands..not necessarily every1...but at the other boards and meeting people at concerts its alot of times the case.

Kyle

Heck yah!lol

Prog bands are some of my favorites..I *do* like other types of music..like dance,jazz,blues,and alternative styles.My favorite progressive bands are the more well-known ones..like DMB,U2,Pink Floyd,Dream Theater,Rush,and The Doors(I'm not too sure if they're really prog..probably more physcedellic rock).But,I'm not obsessive about it..I mean,I *do* think Eminem is cool lol...and so is Daft Punk!:D:);)

everything all of the time

playing grab ass with u2?! thats funny!

noone ever gives a sure definition of prog, its just another useless term really...

however

the bands you mentioned i can somewhat handle. i love pink floyd more than every other band in the world with 2 exceptions.

rush is the worst band ever, even worse than creed. yes, worse than creed.

i like post-rock, does that count?

also trance could be considered prog too.

i really like pink floyd and queen but i haven't really heard much of the other ones, so i couldn't say......i am a classic rock person, so those two are coo' with me.....

muahaha

:yes: Creed SOOOOO sucks ass!! lol!Punk rock is *okay* too..Like The Strokes,The Vines,and The Hives..oh oh,and one of my favorite old time new wave bands,The Boomtown Rats ;)

what a sick world

*~~Bono's_Babe~~* said:
:yes: Creed SOOOOO sucks ass!! lol!Punk rock is *okay* too..Like The Strokes,The Vines,and The Hives..oh oh,and one of my favorite old time new wave bands,The Boomtown Rats ;)

:ohmy: this isn't really who you think is punk rock, do you?!

• the clash
  • talking heads
  • blondie
  • ramones
  • elvis costello

now THAT is punk rock

Re: what a sick world

Lilly said:

• the clash
  • talking heads
  • blondie
  • ramones
  • elvis costello

now THAT is punk rock
DOOOOD!They are the *GODS* of Punk Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

Stories for Boys said:
i really like pink floyd and queen but i haven't really heard much of the other ones, so i couldn't say......i am a classic rock person, so those two are coo' with me.....

well just by example. Dream Theater has an EP called A Change Of Seasons which is 1 song of 23 minutes. But included on the rest of the cd are 4 live covers they played to pay ahmage (sp?) to some the bands who strongly INFLUENCED them growing up.

The bands included:

Elton John - Funeral For A Friend..Love Lies Bleeding

Deep Puple- Perfect Strangers

Led Zeppelin - The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains The Same

Medley:
Pink Floyd - In the Flesh
Kansas- Carry on Wayward Son
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Journey - Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin
Genesis - Turn It on Again
The Dixie Dregs - Cruise Control

actually at the same concert they played in England in 1995, Dream Theater performed U2's Bad and Red Hill Mining Town.

Re: everything all of the time

Zoomerang96 said:
playing grab ass with u2?! thats funny!

noone ever gives a sure definition of prog, its just another useless term really...

however

the bands you mentioned i can somewhat handle. i love pink floyd more than every other band in the world with 2 exceptions.

rush is the worst band ever, even worse than creed. yes, worse than creed.

i like post-rock, does that count?

also trance could be considered prog too.

well Prog is useless in many ways..its a label, all it is. But at the same time the music that is put under the label "Prog" can be personally stated as music that someone likes. 1 may say "the music I like is called 'prog', so since I like this...its 'prog'"

that's funny about Rush..Geddy Lee I am aware is a big fan of U2.

post-rock?...I'm unsure of the term...but if it suggests a form of music not directly influenced by rock I suppose it could be regarded as Prog for orginality sake.

Yes..I am unfamiliar with most of it, but Trance music, atleast some of it could be considered Prog.

Re: what a sick world

Lilly said:

• the clash
  • talking heads
  • blondie
  • ramones
  • elvis costello

now THAT is punk rock

What about the Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks, etc?

BTW, Elvis Costello is the man. The man.

Back
Top Bottom