Anyone into Astronomy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Baby

Acrobat
Tonight I saw Saturn, the moon, Jupiter, and the "seven sisters" (I'm not sure how to spell the right name). My mom's boyfriend is into astronomy and brought over his telescope for us to look at the stars. It was pretty cool to see all of that up close. (I feel like such a dork, hehe
tongue.gif
)

So is anyone here into it like big time? Which planets have you been able to see? Etc, etc. I doubt I'll get really into it but it's cool to look up and know what exactly it is you're looking at.
smile.gif

------------------
Let her pale light in
To fill up your room

[This message has been edited by Lemon Baby (edited 03-16-2002).]

Ohhh that sounds cool !!
I dont think I've ever really seen other planets. What do they look like?
tongue.gif

My mother and I have always been mildly interested. With the Malaysian Nature Society, she got to see into a telescope so powerful that it enabled her to see the rings of Saturn!

Over here in New Zealand, they've got the biggest telescope in the entire Southern Hemisphere, yet when I looked into it expecting to see Saturn's rings, all I saw were large twinkly things. How disappointing.

I've bought charts on the constellations and have mainly been interested in the Greek myths surrounding them. So, I am a geek, too.

foreek

I LLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE astronomy!

I'm an ameteur astronomer and belong to the Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas. The club owns land in Oklahoma that members can go use and go camping for observing, and thy have an observatory.

I've also taken 2 courses in Astronomy, just for fun, at a community college here because I love astronomy so much. The courses were Physics 1411 & 1412.

I volunteer at the college planetarium during public star shows running the star projector.

Any astronomy questions, ask me!
biggrin.gif

BTW, Seven Sisters is Pleiades, a beautiful constellation! Try looking at it through binoculars! You DON'T need a telescope to enjoy astronomy...Binoculars work great!

m45.gif

ummm, I am just finishing a distance education course in Astronomy to satisfy the lab science gen ed requirement for my school.
smile.gif

Originally posted by foray:
My mother and I have always been mildly interested. With the Malaysian Nature Society, she got to see into a telescope so powerful that it enabled her to see the rings of Saturn!

Yep! My mom's boyfriend has a telescope that powerful, seeing the rings was very cool. The night before we were at a planetarium, and seeing how large some planets are compared to Earth just floored me. Really cool stuff.
smile.gif

ABEL, dumb question, but...were the astronomy classes difficult? I'm going back to school in the fall and I'm wondering now with my sudden interest if I ought to go ahead and take a class.

Originally posted by Lemon Baby:
ABEL, dumb question, but...were the astronomy classes difficult? I'm going back to school in the fall and I'm wondering now with my sudden interest if I ought to go ahead and take a class.

Not a dumb question, Lemon Baby. Yes the courses were somewhat difficult. I had no idea when I wanted to sign up for "Introduction to Astronomy" that the college had them listed as 'PHYSICS' courses!!!! But I already had some knowledge of astronomy from being in the astronomy club and volunteering at the planetarium.

The part that was really hard for me was the math. I'm not good in math at all. But I made it through because I loved the subject so much and finally started understanding it, even angle/distance equations, and logarithms.

I'd say go for it! If you have an interest in astronomy, the classes will help and be interesting. You may also want to check if there are any astronomy clubs in your area as well.

Back
Top Bottom