Anyone here who simply cant understand beatle's music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can you imagine Bono writing such stuff as there....arghhhhhhhhhh ? plain overrated...painfully boring
..Even Miami lyrics are better than these :evil: Not to talk of One or Kite or Stay or Bad

Oh yeah I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
Then I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
Oh, please, say to me
You'll let me be your man
And please, say to me
You'll let me hold your hand
Now let me hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
And when I touch you feel happy, inside
It's such a feeling
That my love, I can't hide
I can't hide, I can't hide
Yeah, you got that something
I think you'll understant
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
And when I touch you feel happy, inside
It's such a feeling
That my love, I can't hide
I can't hide, I can't hide
Yeah, you got that something
I think you'll understant
When I feel that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

I want to hold your hand came out very early in the career of the Beatle's. The lyrics advanced very well along the years and they ended up writing amazing songs with great lyrics. Yesterday, Hey Jude, etc. come to mind. Find a copy of the lyrics to the White album and you will know what I am talking about!

Oh, and I love Bono just as much as the next person, but some of his lyrics are just as bad.... especially the early one's. "I know a girl, a girl called Party, Party girl" Come On.... :rolleyes:

I respect the Beatles, but I can't get into them. Nor do I think they're the gods-on-earth that some people hype them up to be. meh.

i think there is medication for that.

so you're telling us you don't like the beatles, but you do like creed and puddle of mudd? suddenly it's all so clear.

Not more than 30 minutes ago did I email my friend proclaiming the very same thing!!! :ohmy: weird!!

here's what she said, and I have to agree:

The Beatles broke so much new musical ground in their relatively short career together (ten years). If there were not a Beatles, there never would have been a U2. I honestly believe that.

The Beatles made so much possible for those that followed them. Think about music before The Beatles (and the Stones). Think about what they did, and then think about it after. :)

Really, they took chances, expanded on so much. Broke all the old rules, and showed people music didn't NEED rules. What they did for rock music
cannot be denied. Can you tell I have a lot of respect for what they accomplished??

we later agreed that U2 definety does have more Soul :heart: U2

creed and pom blow goats.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:up: You said it. Yeah, lyrics like, "I feel helpless, I feel angry" are so much better than anything the Beatles wrote. Please.

:rolleyes:

and i never remember john or paul doing any Jesus poses which is always a plus.

The thing is I never tried to listen to Creed or POM purposely but a few of their songs caught my attention. I am not a Creed fan or POM fan for that purpose.

..As for beatles, just the opposite.. I tried listening that "ticket to ride" , "hold your hand" & white album and all such stuff but couldnt get into it.

not my kind of music.. :drool:

:bono:

not another 'i dont get the beatles' thread....:(

oh well.

guess you had to be there (in the sixties). glad i was. :)

Lay off the crack pipe.

"Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe.
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me."

Those are undeniably amazing lyrics.

Re: Lay off the crack pipe.

meegannie said:

*agrees * :yes: but this is better

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounded me - going down on me
Spilling over the brim
In waves of regret and in waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy
You - you said you'd wait till the end of the world

Ah yes.. this debate I have heard many times.. The Beatles Songwriting (Lennon in particular) versus that of Bono.. Just due to my love of U2, I am touched deeper by Bono's lyrics, however, that is only a personal preference, I don't think I can say that U2 is greater than the Beatles or what not, but I like U2 Better.. Though.. I just made a mix disc and the last 25 minutes of the disc was teh second half of A. Road all linked to one track.. A Side of musical genius that I don't think anyone can touch..

I just took a class last semester where my professor.. (An English Prof)... looved John Lennon.. proclaimed him the world's greatest poet on the first day of class, and when I emailed him asking what he thought about Bono, as for every Lennon quote, I could think of a Bono quote or lyric.. He didn't deny that Bono was great, but he said that Lennon's lyrics are more universal.. ethereal.. and Bono's tend to be more specific, more issue related.. citing (SBS Please MLK Pride among others.. )

Just some thoughts,
L.Unplugged

Re: Lay off the crack pipe.

meegannie said:

That is my favorite song by them!!!!!

Just had to say that.

Anyhoo, the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" lyrics aren't exactly deep and meaningful. However, I think that the reason that song has staying power is because of it's simplicity. Also they were one of the first acts to go "mainstream" with "Rock and Roll," to deliver that sound to a wide mass of people.

I love Bono, but some of my favourite U2 lyrics ("In dreams begin responsibilities," etc.) are lifted directly from other songs, from literature, or from poetry. I don't think Bono does it intentionally at all, but you have to recognize that his influences are very obvious.

You know , with their more popular hits like: Help, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Love Me Do, or even Yesterday and Hey Jude, (which are considered some of their best songs) I used to think the same, that they were so overrated.

But listen to songs like I am the Walrus, Revolution, Eleanor Rigby, or Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight-The End (beautiful medley) you'll probably start seeing why they are so great. As much as I prefer U2's lyrics I don't think any other band will ever be above The Beatles

Mofo said:

But listen to songs like I am the Walrus, Revolution, Eleanor Rigby, or Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight-The End (beautiful medley) you'll probably start seeing why they are so great.

:yes:

I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles either - but to say they are overrated is probably not an accurate assessment.

Sometimes, you have to live through an era to fully understand it or feel it - just like those who grew up with the Beatles and witnessed them in their heyday. I didn't live through the Vietnam War, so my emotions aren't as highly charged about it as someone who did - not to say that I'd don't grimace when the topic comes up.

It's different looking back at the Beatles with all the knowledge of what came after them, rather than looking from the perspective of the timeframe and era of the Beatles' heyday to what they created in their wake.

{Today -> Beatles heyday} is a different picture than {Beatles -> Today}.

The Beatles, musically and sonically influenced most rock bands that have existed after them. It taught them that music doesn't have to have boundaries and exist in a bubble - that a band can change it's image and style and still be fresh and relevant. Many musicians around that time were not malleable, and they remained pigeon-holed for fear of loss of relevance and public dis-favor.

So, while not the shortest or most intelligent and enlightened description, I have immense respect for the creative influence the Beatles launched. Time will tell who the most creative or lyrically profound band will be.

Re: i think there is medication for that.

Screaming Flower said:
so you're telling us you don't like the beatles, but you do like creed and puddle of mudd? suddenly it's all so clear.

and p.s. they are gods among men. well, except paul.

I like the Beatles a lot and have enormous respect for what they accomplished. They changed popular music forever, and in a positive way. But even my favorite Beatles song of all time, "Let It Be," doesn't move me nearly as much as most U2 songs do. I don't think that means they are overrated. It just means their music doesn't speak to me on the deep, personal level U2 does, for whatever reason. I'm sure at least some of that has to do with the fact I wasn't even born yet when Beatlemania hit and was only two years old when they broke up. It's probably only natural that I don't feel this overwhelming connection to them that someone who was a teen in the 1960s might feel.

Back
Top Bottom