Anyone here a fan of Neil Finn/Crowded house or Brian Ferry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I'm asking because i only know 1 song from each of these artists and i'm interested into hearing more.

("everywhere you go, always take the weather" - that's Crowded house right?)

And from Ferry i heard his song from the Phenomenon soundtrack and really liked the melody.

The Crowded House debut record (entitled simply Crowded House) was really great. "Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over..." was a road trip theme song for me and my pals during the summer of '87 (because it was on the radio every 5 minutes and we all sang along to the top of our lungs. When I went car-shopping last winter that song came on during my test drive and I knew I had to buy the car--:lol:). Haven't followed Neil Finn's solo career much although every now and then I hear a song and realize it's him and think to myself that I should pick something up.

Haven't really followed Bryan Ferry's career either after Roxy Music although I did see him in concert a number of years ago and although I haven't really gotten into him as a solo artist, I always enjoy him when I hear him.

I love both Neil's and Crowded House's music, though I think perhaps Neil's solo songs are a bit stronger live than they are recorded (just my perception).

Dunno really where you should start! Buy all the cds just, try getting Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House, it has all their best stuff, but there's still a lot more great music on the studio recordings.
Definitely listen to Distant Sun, its one of my favourite songs.

i :love: roxy music!! :D :D

i'm not into bryan ferry as much *only* because you don't hear his solo stuff as much around here, whereas lots of peeps know who roxy music is. but vh1 classic plays his solo stuff sometimes and it's groovy, too. i should buy his greatest hits. that's how i usually start off with a band/artist i like, buy their greatest hits and see what i think of it. :D

that's how i got into duran duran! :silent:

I love both these artists- I have Crowded House's first two albums on vinyl their third on CD- I would reccomend getting their first album- 'Crowded House' to start with as in my opinion this is their best and if you love this one you are sure to love the rest of their music in fact you really cant go wrong with anything that is linked to Neil Finn from the early days of his first band 'Split Enz' through to Crowded House and now his solo career- just buy anything U2Girl- I am sure that you will not be disapointed.....and Bryan Ferry I really like too, a lot of his early music with Roxy music is quite rocking and kinda glam sounding, however the late stuff is very ambient sounding and if you like mellow and ambient, then the definitive album to get is called 'Avalon' this album is amazing and another good album from Ferry is one that he did a few years back now called 'Taxi'- you will find that a lot of his solo music is quite smooth and relaxed, but very, very nice:)

OzAurora said:
and Bryan Ferry I really like too, a lot of his early music with Roxy music is quite rocking and kinda glam sounding, however the late stuff is very ambient sounding and if you like mellow and ambient, then the definitive album to get is called 'Avalon' this album is amazing
:yes: :love:

esp...if you like avalon, you'd probably love ferry's solo album boys and girls, it sounds a lot like avalon. :D :up:

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about Brian Ferry (though Avalon is one beautiful song) so can't help you there. But as you can see, there are a number of Neil Finn/CH fans around here and I'm one of them. To be honest, Neil FInn is probably my favourite singer right now. I saw him in July--totally wonderful. My favourite CH album is Together ALone, their last studio release--amazing songs like Private Universe, Distant Sun, Fingers of Love, Catherine Wheels and Nails In My Feet. I also love, love, love his solo albums, Try Whistling This and One Nil/One All (One Nil in "the rest of the world," One All in North America, with two different songs on each and some of the songs remixed for One All--I have both versions!!). He is so incredibly talented, writes some of the most interesting lyrics out there, if not the most interesting. He seems very romantic and also has a way of making ordinary everyday things beautiful and interesting--for instance, every CH album contains a reference to the kitchen! As some others mentioned, Recurring Dream, the greatest hits, would be a fine place to start--that's where I started, but gradually I was sucked into buying all the albums. Don't have the Finn Brothers album yet, though, or most Split Enz albums. Oh, and another great recent release was Seven Worlds Collide, where Neil played concerts with his brother Tim, Eddie Vedder, and members of Radiohead, among others. Well worth checking out.

Last edited:
scatteroflight said:
I don't know a lot about Brian Ferry (though Avalon is one beautiful song) so can't help you there. But as you can see, there are a number of Neil Finn/CH fans around here and I'm one of them. To be honest, Neil FInn is probably my favourite singer right now. I saw him in July--totally wonderful. My favourite CH album is Together ALone, their last studio release--amazing songs like Private Universe, Distant Sun, Fingers of Love, Catherine Wheels and Nails In My Feet. I also love, love, love his solo albums, Try Whistling This and One Nil/One All (One Nil in "the rest of the world," One All in North America, with two different songs on each and some of the songs remixed for One All--I have both versions!!). He is so incredibly talented, writes some of the most interesting lyrics out there, if not the most interesting. He seems very romantic and also has a way of making ordinary everyday things beautiful and interesting--for instance, every CH album contains a reference to the kitchen! As some others mentioned, Recurring Dream, the greatest hits, would be a fine place to start--that's where I started, but gradually I was sucked into buying all the albums. Don't have the Finn Brothers album yet, though, or most Split Enz albums. Oh, and another great recent release was Seven Worlds Collide, where Neil played concerts with his brother Tim, Eddie Vedder, and members of Radiohead, among others. Well worth checking out.

I saw Neil in July in Toronto. Were you at that show?? Neil is an absolutely wonderful performer. he played an in store acoustic performance before the main gig and it was unbelievable. He is jsut a brilliant singer and an engaging performer.

My 2 immediate recommendations would be Crowded House's "Together Alone" and Neil Finn's "One All/One Nil" depending on where you are from. Thjose are 2 great starting points.

Enjoy.

P.S. Put the song Lullaby Requiem on repeat and soak it in! It is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time.

Neil Finn is brilliant. I'm going to buy One Nil as soon as I can and I STRONGLY encourage everyone to do likewise!!

pop_mofo said:

I saw Neil in July in Toronto. Were you at that show?? Neil is an absolutely wonderful performer. he played an in store acoustic performance before the main gig and it was unbelievable. He is jsut a brilliant singer and an engaging performer.

No, I saw him in Vancouver, July 10. He also did an in-store and it was almost better than the actual show. He opened with Driving Me Mad, which I love, and then he played Private Universe and I was totally overwhelmed. It might be my favourite CH song and I couldn't believe he was there doing it a few feet from me. He concluded with Into the SUnset and I was totally overwhelmed again--that and Private Universe were THE two songs I most wanted to hear. Then I got to talk to him for a minute afterward and he signed my CD. He seems like such a nice guy too. I thanked him for playing those two particular songs, "those were the two I would have requested" (he played a couple of requests) and he looked all happy and said "Oh, well, that worked out well then, didn't it!"

scatteroflight said:

No, I saw him in Vancouver, July 10. He also did an in-store and it was almost better than the actual show. He opened with Driving Me Mad, which I love, and then he played Private Universe and I was totally overwhelmed. It might be my favourite CH song and I couldn't believe he was there doing it a few feet from me. He concluded with Into the SUnset and I was totally overwhelmed again--that and Private Universe were THE two songs I most wanted to hear. Then I got to talk to him for a minute afterward and he signed my CD. He seems like such a nice guy too. I thanked him for playing those two particular songs, "those were the two I would have requested" (he played a couple of requests) and he looked all happy and said "Oh, well, that worked out well then, didn't it!"

Your experience sounds almost identical to mine. His in-store perfomrance was phenomenal. There were only about 50 people there, it was surreal. He played Private universe and I just about fell over. That and Distant Sun are my 2 Crowded House faves. Hearing Private Universe in that setting was really special. Then he signed my CD and thanked us for coming. All in all it was a riveting day. The show that night was phenomenal too, but that's another story :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

Peace.

I saw Neil in DC in July. It was a great show. I really knew nothing of his stuff when I went. I went and picked up Neil Finn and Friends - 7 Worlds Collide - Live at the St. James. It is great. Some guest appearances by Eddie Vedder, Phil Selway and Johnny Marr. Well worth the $$$

pop_mofo said:

Your experience sounds almost identical to mine. His in-store perfomrance was phenomenal. There were only about 50 people there, it was surreal. He played Private universe and I just about fell over. That and Distant Sun are my 2 Crowded House faves. Hearing Private Universe in that setting was really special. Then he signed my CD and thanked us for coming. All in all it was a riveting day. The show that night was phenomenal too, but that's another story :)

Wow, only about 50? In a way you were really lucky with that few people there, because I think there were a couple hundred, or at least 120-150, in Vancouver. I wish I'd got there even a bit earlier to be even closer, but there were only about four people in front of me, and I'm tall :) But it was kind of nice that so many people came out.

Just bought the Finn Brothers album--sounds really good, quite different, and it's all good with Neil's beautiful voice!

Neil Finn/Crowded House/Finn Bros might be my fav. artist apart from U2. I saw Neil in Chicago in July and it was the greatest theater-size show I've ever seen.

I'm glad to see Crowded House's oft-overlooked final studio album, 1994's Together Alone, getting some serious props here...it is an unqualified masterpiece and precursor of Urban Hymns, The Bends, and other great records of the 1990's. Private Universe, Catherine Wheels, Fingers of Love, Distant Sun, Nails at my Feet...some strong songs there. In fact I think CH got BETTER with each release (which is ironic given their self-titled debut provided hits Don't Dream and Something So Strong). For starters, pick up the best of (Recurring Dream)...but then get Together Alone.

Neil's solo stuff is worth investigation (7 Worlds DVD is incredible) and the Finn Bros CD is great for more low-key stuff.

Back
Top Bottom