Anyone heard of Trapt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
They sound a bit like Ra, the band no one here had heard of :mad: lol, but I'm hoping someone may have heard of this lot. I've just heard the song 'Headstrong' and its pretty good. Not enough of this type of music around currently :mad:

So yeah, please learn me if anyone has heard of them!
Thanks
:wink:

Sorry, never heard of them. Which is kind of funny. Are they Australian? And are they death metal, as the name seems to suggest?

Speaking of your newfound love of hiphop (we weren't but are now), do you like the Herd? Their new album is pretty damn good I think.

I'm not sure where they hail from, I assume its Yankyland. I could be wrong! As for death metal....Whats the definition of death metal again? lol. At least they use real instruments and play like they're actually alive unlike some comatose bands these days.

And yeah, smoothly moving onto hiphop lol...I haven't heard this band Herd. Are they aussie? Got any song suggestions?

The Herd? Extremely Aussie. They did the potato scallops song, on a novelty note.

More seriously they did a bunch of new songs on their album An Elefant Never Forgets, such as Burn Down the Parliament, 77 per cent a few others you may or may not have heard. They are fairly political and I guess like Midnight Oil that is part of the package and you either love it or hate it.

But some great lyrics anyhow.

Schoolhood chums Chris Brown and Peter Charell absorbed the heavy rock sound of KORN, Soundgarden and Metallica during the mid-nineties. Both were music geeks and naturally flirted around the idea of getting a group together. Casual gigs in school motivated them even more, leaving Brown and Charell design what would become Trapt. In 1997, fellow guitarist Simon Ormandy joined the band. The trio recorded their own demo and landed gigs in and around suburbs of Southern California. Within a year Trapt was opening up for the likes of Papa Roach, Dredg and Spike 1000, but high school graduation loomed ahead. The future of Trapt was unknown.

Trapt's second album, Amalgamation was self-released in 1998, but the band's dynamic was shifty. Ormandy and Brown were attending classes at UC Santa Barbara by fall 1999 while Charell was several hours away at UC Santa Cruz. The distance between them was a test, but a test Trapt didn't dare to fail. The band would meet up on weekends for rehearsals and shows. They also managed to issue another record Glimpse in early 2000 with hopes that somehow a record label would take notice. As luck would have it, Trapt impressed the folks at Immortal after a stellar gig at the Troubadour one evening in late 2000. Talks of a deal were in the works, but hope faded fast. Immortal dropped the band after eight weeks. Still, Trapt were as strong as ever.

Each member eventually dropped out of school and moved to Los Angeles to solely focus on Trapt. Seattle native Aaron Montgomery joined Trapt to play drums; their massive, hard rock sound was in full effect. After a benefit show for September 11th, Warner Bros. offered the band a deal in late 2001. Hard work and dedication had paid off. A year later, Trapt prepared themselves for their self-titled proper debut. ? MacKenzie Wilson

the ever wonderful All Music Guide

Interesting yertle, thanks muchly for posting that. I think they're definately worth keeping an ear out for, if you like this type of music anyway. I can see where they may have had Metallica, KORN and Soundgarden influences, but its not really that much of an amalgamation of those bands. But I've only heard one song so far. Still, good band, worth listening I think.

K, I'm currently getting 'From The Underworld' 'I dont want our loving to die' and 'Paradise lost'. I'm quite curious now, this should be good. Funny hpw you tend to think you'll like something before you even hear it...weird...anyways...thanks guys.

You must have the wrong band then, angie. The Herd is intelligent Aussie hip-hop. Nothing Seargent-Pepperish about it.

The Trapt song I've heard (Headstrong) sounds very similar to a lot of metal on mainstream airplay. They don't seem too exciting for my tastes... but then again, Rolling Stone hailed them as the next best thing in Rock/Metal. RRRRRRRRight, I've heard that before... to me Trapt sounds a lot like Thirty Seconds To Mars and bands that are in the Pop Metal vein...

Nice to talk about different stuff though :up:

I think I can safely say the band I downloaded was the wrong band, with the same name....:lol:
Winmx is shit house for getting decent Aussie music though.

Pop metal (back to Trapt lol) sounds um....yeah, ok I guess thats true! I'm thinking I should just move into a cave. Everytime we hear something new over here, its already fatigued itself over in the states and so we end up with little variety as the style loses public interest and hence we dont get much of it. Its either live in a cave or listen to JJJ....Hrmph.
Anyways, if this is 'pop metal' I'd still rather this than the shit that lives on commercial radio and in the charts.
What we need is a few really good new bands from a couple of the tried and true genres to come out and make music exciting again. Hows this for sidetreacking eh? sigh...

K I owe you another big thanks. I went straight to the source this time, and 77% is excellent. I also got half of Burn Down the Parliament and that sounds pretty good too. Have you seen the clip to 77%?

....This is why commercial radio sucks bizkits.
:|

Yay, I'm glad you liked it! Now you should try to dl another song of there's called 'Hell' if you can find it. It's about a guy who sells his soul to the devil for a Chicko Roll.

have heard of trapt...not heard them. they showed up in the sketchy music publication that media play insists on sending when you sign up for their media play club specuial points card (or whatever the hell it's actually called....i told my mom not to do it...why she didn't listen is beyond me)

so naturally i'm going to be inclined to want to avoid them...

*reads thread again*

did I just miss an aussie hip-hop discussion?

Melbourne.....To Sydney......To Brisbane...Darwin.... To
Perth.....Adelaide.... Tassy
And all Across the OZ..Z..I..E...

Angie, glad you liked the Herd songs. Your best bet is to bypass radio and go and buy the cd of 'An Elefant Never Forgets'. It's got some cool spacey stuff on it, even one or two vaguely jazzy songs, in amongst the more political tracks. My favourite right now is "States of Transit".

wow you actually swore. you must be serious. for some reason i dont feel like making fun of you now.

but its ok, we can still share the love without trapt.

really!

Back
Top Bottom