Anyone had to fundraise before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucky charms

War Child
I need some help/advice and thought Id post this here for ideas. Im participating in a weekend walk for Breast Cancer in September..That is the easy part. Each participant in order to walk, must raise at least $2000 for the cause. So I have to come up with ways to raise the money.

That again...not so bad I guess..but there are 3 of us at the same workplace who are participating as a team..so we all need to rasie that..and you know you can only ask people in the office so much to donate..you can only have so many barbecues, draw etc..Im trying to come up with something that may be a little different for people to stir up interest..but alas Ive never fundraised before and dont know the first thing about it.

I was thinking of maybe buying a nice painting or something and then selling tickets and raffling it off..but that would cost alot of money to buy the painting and then if I dont sell enough tickets..well then Im out more money.

Help please...ok pretty please...:)

I've discussed this with my financial advisor (BAW) and we're good for $50 (US or CDN)...with one stipulation.....

We'd better see a photo with you and a numbered jersey and you'd better be sweatin!!!!

OK????????????? :lol:

Seriously, there is no laughter about this cause; my mother died of another type of cancer but my aunt (mom's sister) is a breast cancer survivor! Char has walked in several Race for the Cure events. good luck!

:)

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
I've discussed this with my financial advisor (BAW) and we're good for $50 (US or CDN)...with one stipulation.....

We'd better see a photo with you and a numbered jersey and you'd better be sweatin!!!!

OK????????????? :lol:

Seriously, there is no laughter about this cause; my mother died of another type of cancer but my aunt (mom's sister) is a breast cancer survivor! Char has walked in several Race for the Cure events. good luck!

:)

I have that in writing now...:tongue: seriously...if you and Char would sponsor me that would be great really....and silly man, dont give me a choice - $50 Cdn and $50 US are not equal...although they are getting closer but not quite...:wink:

pictures you want pictures..let me tell you...its a 2 day walk....setting up camp at destination after 1st night then heading back 2nd day...if Im not sweating...that would mean I have no glands...I mean I can walk..but I dont know if I can walk that far...and it is up hill to boot...

but it is a good cause..my mother died of cancer..and I know many people who have died of various forms of cancer...1 who survived breast cancer..at least so far...knock on wood...

I hope I can raise the money..I mean if I dont raise the $2000, then at least I donate some money to the cause..I just dont get to participate..but I hope I will be able to both, raise the money and participate.

:up: :hug:

lucky charms said:
but it is a good cause..my mother died of cancer..

That's three of us now.

Ms. Charms....count me in for a donation. Now, I am not as rich as Mr. BAW P.I. - nor do I have a financial advisor as loverly as BAW, but I would be happy to send some money.

E-mail me to my Yahoo account! :D

:hug:

I just found a stash of Canadian money left over from my last trip...how does $25.90 plus 5 TTC subway tokens sound?

:laugh:

I'll send you a check for $50 US...after the exchange, that should make up for any fees your bank might charge :)

Chocolates are always good. Theres a woman in our building who was raising money to send her two kids on a music trip to Italy, or something like that. She was selling chockies for ages and stopped as she had raised enough funds and the trip is still 8 months away. We were like, 'what about the other kids in their school? Surely theres some kids who havent raised enough funds yet, please dont cut off our supply". But she did! She, who we dubbed "The Chocolate Lady" as her official function was very much superceded by our NEED for chockies, used to make a point of visiting when it was raining knowing full well the Defectory is too far from our building to visit in the rain. Depends on the size of your workplace of course.

I would be wary of artworks. I used to work for Oxfam and artworks are really hit or miss - unless you can get them donated of course. Have you asked for freebies? Potters used to be warm to the idea of donating as did little businesses on the hippie end of the spectrum eg tarot card readers etc. Just give them as much publicity as you can muster. (Useless fact, one of the astrology thingies I wangled for free, Senator Jo Valentine purchased for a laugh, that was cool). And remember to send them a nice thank you letter stating how much their item raised for the cause so they can get a warm fuzzie out of the exercise.

Anyway, try some local businesses, a restaurant voucher, etc and see what happens. You will get a lot of nos, and quite a few arseholes, but stick with it and you should find some people with kind hearts. Then you can sell/auction off the goodies for a full profit. (Just my $0.02 worth)

Good luck. I wish you well. Its a damn fine endeavour you are embarking on. :hug:

Last edited:
zoney! said:

That's three of us now.

Ms. Charms....count me in for a donation. Now, I am not as rich as Mr. BAW P.I. - nor do I have a financial advisor as loverly as BAW, but I would be happy to send some money.

E-mail me to my Yahoo account! :D

:hug:

Hmm....lovely is one thing....so is loverly...which is it Zoney??? :mad:

There is always some sort of fundraising event going on at my office. The ones that seem to work and raise lots of cash are 50/50 draws and raffles for alcohol. Yes, it seems I work with drunks who need money. The 50/50 draws are the easiest and can be done on a daily or weekly basis.

I have done fundraising before but never needed anything that would equal the value of $2000

We got money by writing articles for the local paper and for each article that was printed we got money, it was a whole family effort so My Mum and Dad held funraising things at work, my brothers year had a wear a wacky tie to school day (the winner got a prize) and my sisters school had a jumble sale. I wrote the newspaper articles. Maybe you could contact your paper see if they could run a piece on what your doing ad drum up some interest that way?

Ovarian cancer runs in the females in our family and one of my friends has cancer so I hope everything goes well for you! I would love to give you money but I have a strict weekly budget and whatever is left over I donate a certain amount each month to the Cheast Heart and Stroke Foundation.

Aralitia.

thanks for all the tips

all the helpful ideas and tips...I shall take each one thanks you kindly..regarding the art option...I had thought it would be something different - that people might want to obtain and there buy tickets type thing...but its alot of upfront cost and then if you dont get the interest you end up losing an expensive painting at under value...and then have to absorb expenses..so I guess realistically that isnt a good idea..see this is why I asked for help...I am not what you would call a fundraiser..to those who have offered donations, that is greatly appreciated and Ill be in touch definitely....

Heartfelt thanks for everyones help

:) :heart: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom