Anyone going to see Harry Potter Tonight? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:39 AM
i thought the movie wasnt good at all but that was because i read all of the books
although gary oldman made it alot better

Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #47
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:39 AM
The last 25/30 minutes were exactly as I'd imagined it, except Sirius dying with little to no emotional impact and they cut Dumbledore's lecture to Harry at the end, which kind of ties the entire movie together. The subplots missing from the film series are really starting to hurt parts of these movies, I hope they do get the fully restored LOTR treatment after the 7th movie is made for maximum enjoyment / profit$.

But I guess there's only so much you can put in a 2 hour movie, and the stuff they put it was pretty good. I loved Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, perfect casting. And is it wrong to want to bang Tonks? I jus' sayin'.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:39 AM
The complaints I've heard so far about the movie are about stuff that didn't make it into the movie, which is fine with me - I can barely remember what happened in the LAST book, much less book 5. So it'll be new to me, and I won't remember anything that didn't make it into the film.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #49
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I love how the entire Order of the Phoenix is explained in one line of dialogue from Hermione though.

Kudos to Radcliffe for playing Harry EXACTLY the way I thought he'd be, pissed off and confused.

Also, it was great to see that little flashback to him in the 1st movie when he still looked like Rachel Dratch.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Oh, that's right - OOTP was the book where Harry was a whiny brat! NOW I remember.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yeah, but all the Harry-emo-scenes were cut, he wasn't emotional and pissed as he was on the book
Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
One thing about the visuals. I LOVED the colors. In case you didn't notice, the whole film is done in what I call a "Matrix" palette. If you recall, in "The Matrix", all the scenes in the Nebuchednezzar (the real world) were all in dingy grey, blue, cream, black, etc. While all the scenes in the Matrix were lush and colorful. But then you recall that the Matrix was a place of comfortable slavery, while in the Matrix you lived a life of harship and danger but you were free and fighting for freedom. That was what Yates was trying to do here and it succeeds brilliantly--the only place of real color was Umbridge's office, *THE CATS*--PRICELESS.

Other thoughts: Yates has praictically married Ron and Hermione. They even wear striped tops togehter in certain scenes.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
The last 25/30 minutes were exactly as I'd imagined it, except Sirius dying with little to no emotional impact and they cut Dumbledore's lecture to Harry at the end, which kind of ties the entire movie together. The subplots missing from the film series are really starting to hurt parts of these movies, I hope they do get the fully restored LOTR treatment after the 7th movie is made for maximum enjoyment / profit$.

But I guess there's only so much you can put in a 2 hour movie, and the stuff they put it was pretty good. I loved Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, perfect casting. And is it wrong to want to bang Tonks? I jus' sayin'.
Is it wrong to want to have a Snape/Sirius sandwich?

Um... saw this tonight, and liked it ok, but Azkaban remains my favorite of the series. Helena Bonham Carter = perfect as Bellatrix! But yeah, agreeing with those who say that too much was drawn out. The books are way too long and detailed so it's going to happen, but they're enjoyable movies, anyway.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #54
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I love how all of the superior actors are being underused (Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson, Michael Gambon, hell, even Robbie Coltrane) for the sake of length. I forgot to mention how great Luna was too, absolutely dead-on.

Christ, if Peter Jackson can make 3 hour movies that make millions of dollars based on a popular fantasy series, surely Harry Potter can do the same? Maybe because it's catered to children, which is ridiculous. I wouldn't take a 5 year old to see this movie.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:10 AM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
New Line gave Jackson an almost unprecidented amount of directorial control. None of the Rings films even had a test screening. The most that was ever done was having 7 minutes cut out of the origional theatrical print of ROTK, which ended up in the Extended Cut--the scene with Saruman "shishkebabed" in Isengard, which I agree did not belong in the theatrical,it felt too much like TTT.

I get the idea that Warner Brothers has more control. Sadly. Though if this film makes enough money and after seeing Book 7, maybe they'll let up a little.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The complaints I've heard so far about the movie are about stuff that didn't make it into the movie, which is fine with me - I can barely remember what happened in the LAST book, much less book 5. So it'll be new to me, and I won't remember anything that didn't make it into the film.
Pretty much the rule of thumb when it comes to seeing a movie about a book you like is to not read that book at all in at least the two months before the movie comes out.

As for the length...... Yeah, I hope they do let them get longer, esp. for the last two. They have to realize that they're not really catering to little kids anymore, and older kids & teens can easily sit through movies like Braveheart & LOTR.

I think one important thing is to try and think of how stuff that's cut out would work in the movie. I totally think that in Azkaban, having Lupin give Harry a two-liner on who Padfoot, Prongs, etc. were could've worked without changing the feel of anything. For OOTP, I think some of the stuff I would like to have seen would've changed the feel of things a bit too much. Obviously the Ron/Quidditch bit---would've added a ton of time and taken away the serious/dangerous feel of the movie. I would've loved to have seen the kids visit Mr. Weasley in St. Mungo's so that you could see the Longbottoms. The thing is, if it was done well, it would be awesome---you'd really get hit in the face with the brutality of Voldemort and how it really hits people forever. But if done poorly---if they'd made the Longbottoms bumbling idiots that get 1/2 the theater to laugh---it wouldn't be successful at all. So, the way they did it---have Neville tell Harry a one-liner that his parents were tortured with the Cruciatus curse---saves time, leaves it all serious, and doesn't risk changing the feel. Not as adventurous or impressive, but less risky I guess.

Ever since Azkaban the film, I've looked at these movies not as a full screen version of the books to be criticized for what they leave out, but instead as fun visual representations of the ideas to be enjoyed for the cool visuals they can give us. Even though the Order of the books would never ride next to a ferryboat in the middle of London, that scene alone makes me want to fly more than most of the Quidditch scenes in the first three movies.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
agreed

I enjoyed the movie. Great visually, of course, and there were a lot of funny scenes. Alan Rickman is genius as Snape... he is able to seem incredibly pissed off without overdoing it. He's subtle. "Obviously" was somehow one of the best moments in the film, and just his expression when Umbridge gave her speech at the beginning

I want to see this film again I do think they could have made a bit more out of Sirius's death... the emotional impact on Harry wasn't really shown. The mirror scene should have been included. Beyond that I'm not sweatin' any of the stuff left out... the Order wasn't explained fantastically but at least the general idea was given.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #58
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

One wasted opportunity was Lupin/Tonks, I wanted to see some of that, plus it's a sweet little moment at the end of HBP. Why Mad-Eye Moody got more screen-time than Lupin, I won't know.

Was Neville's part of the prophecy revealed in this book or HBP? I'm not sure.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Was Neville's part of the prophecy revealed in this book or HBP? I'm not sure.
It was this book. Rowling's said in interviews that there's nothing special about Neville, just that Voldemort could've chosen him but didn't. In HBP, Dumbledore seems to say the same, and I think his bit in the prophecy was only for a little bit of coolness factor but won't amount to anything more in book 7---which is possibly why they decided to skip out on it in the film.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Why Mad-Eye Moody got more screen-time than Lupin, I won't know.
QFTTTTTTTT!