Anyone going to see Harry Potter Tonight? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Don't worry, withg the next two books there is NO WAY Snape will be downsized. Jo has said that Book 6 and 7 are actually a single two-part book. Considering that Snape *IS* the Half-Blood Prince, and the major role he will play in Book 7, I think Yates deliberately downplayed him so that in the next film his impact will be greater. I read an interview and he said that Snape's role is "pivotal" and he "couldn't wait" to begin filming him..he loved Snape's ambiguity. I got the sense that Yates was saving the best for later. I just *LOVE LOVE LOVE* how Alan Rickamn is so INTO his part even in the first 3 films where his role is minimal and of course at that timenobody knew how big a character Snape would become. Rickman loves being Snape and it shows. When UNbridge questions himaobut losing the DADA job and he says "Obviously"..or whatever that one word was, HUGE laughs...

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Is Emma Watson hot or is Emma Watson hot?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
Holy fucking shit.

Kick. Ass. Movie.

They left stuff out, but they needed to. There are things that I wish were fleshed out some----the Dumbledore/Harry interaction at the end, and giving Ginny more than one measly line (this is the book where she's become a strong character and it wasn't there in the film). However, they did a pretty darn good job of turning a tedious book into a fantastic film.
I disagree actually. I think there were really important elements that were left out:
1) explaining the OOTP
2) that really really powerful scene at the end of the book when Harry is yelling into the mirror. THAT scene made me cry reading it. I think it was essential...I feel like the theme overall surrounding that particular character was lost. Rowling left her room crying after she wrote about it. There wasn't a wet eye in the theater. I think that says a lot.

There were other reasons...but for now this is all I can think of.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
well saw the movie last night. I managed to reread about 650 pages of book 5 to refresh my memory on all the little stuff. the movie itself was good, but I think because I've read the books I noticed A LOT of stuff that was left out and some stuff was changed from the book. I think it was a bit disappointing and I know how hard it must be to downsize a 870 page book into a movie, but a lot was lost I felt.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I loved it, I thought it was infinitely better than the 4th movie. They did leave out a lot, but overall I thought they did a great job of fitting such a long book into a cohesive movie that wasn't overly long. Plenty of funny moments, and plenty of significant moments that summed up much longer scenes from the book. And the casting for the new characters was awesome. Luna, Umbridge, and Bellatrix were perfect.

I did feel like the whole scene at the Department of Mysteries could've been better, though I'm not sure exactly what it was missing. But overall the movie was much better than I expected.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Don't worry, withg the next two books there is NO WAY Snape will be downsized. Jo has said that Book 6 and 7 are actually a single two-part book. Considering that Snape *IS* the Half-Blood Prince, and the major role he will play in Book 7, I think Yates deliberately downplayed him so that in the next film his impact will be greater. I read an interview and he said that Snape's role is "pivotal" and he "couldn't wait" to begin filming him..he loved Snape's ambiguity. I got the sense that Yates was saving the best for later.
I agree------I think they might be doing the same thing with Ginny. I would have loved to see more Ginny in this movie. Book 5 is where she becomes the awesome character that she is, pretty much Harry's female equal (or better!). And while they did give her some magical strength in the film, they didn't have her as a person appear as strong as I'd hoped. However, I think that with the Harry/Ginny relationship of HBP, she'll be featured a lot more in the next movie. At least I hope so!

Oh, Teta, feel free to copy your review here--no reason not to! I also loved the "Nice one, James!" part--and how there was only the briefest odd look on Harry's face......they put it out there, but didn't make it huge. It's kind of a big moment for everyone who read the books & knows the characters, but they didn't overdo it.

As for cutting stuff, I still think they did a decent job. Unico---I'm pretty sure Hermione or someone gives a two-liner to Harry about who the Order are when Harry arrives at Grimmauld Place. It's also kind of re-explained in a way when Sirius gives him the picture. So, I thought that was okay (much better than not explaining who Padfoot, Prongs, etc. are in the Azkaban film). As for the mirror scene, I think they must've filmed it, as it's probably the scene in one of Harry's memory montages where he's looking into the mirror & Voldemort's face appears---they must've just cut it. Just like I imagine that the Umbridge teacher evaluation scenes were probably filmed much longer than what they used.

OOTP is just the hardest book to put into film. They talked about Goblet needing to be two films, but OOTP is worse---and yet two films of it would've been boring. JKR got a bit indulgent with it. I mean, she practically tells you what happens at 11:30am, then 1:15, then 2:45, then 6:00....every single day. There's far too much detail in it---making it impossible to put all the great scenes & information into one film.

As for the next one, I wonder if they'll have Quidditch. They didn't have the Ron/Quidditch bit in this one, but they can pull it off by having him join with everyone else who joins the team in HBP. Without Quidditch, they'll need an entirely different setting for Harry & Ginny's first kiss.......
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I agree------I think they might be doing the same thing with Ginny. I would have loved to see more Ginny in this movie. Book 5 is where she becomes the awesome character that she is, pretty much Harry's female equal (or better!). And while they did give her some magical strength in the film, they didn't have her as a person appear as strong as I'd hoped. However, I think that with the Harry/Ginny relationship of HBP, she'll be featured a lot more in the next movie. At least I hope so!

Oh, Teta, feel free to copy your review here--no reason not to! I also loved the "Nice one, James!" part--and how there was only the briefest odd look on Harry's face......they put it out there, but didn't make it huge. It's kind of a big moment for everyone who read the books & knows the characters, but they didn't overdo it.

As for cutting stuff, I still think they did a decent job. Unico---I'm pretty sure Hermione or someone gives a two-liner to Harry about who the Order are when Harry arrives at Grimmauld Place. It's also kind of re-explained in a way when Sirius gives him the picture. So, I thought that was okay (much better than not explaining who Padfoot, Prongs, etc. are in the Azkaban film). As for the mirror scene, I think they must've filmed it, as it's probably the scene in one of Harry's memory montages where he's looking into the mirror & Voldemort's face appears---they must've just cut it. Just like I imagine that the Umbridge teacher evaluation scenes were probably filmed much longer than what they used.

OOTP is just the hardest book to put into film. They talked about Goblet needing to be two films, but OOTP is worse---and yet two films of it would've been boring. JKR got a bit indulgent with it. I mean, she practically tells you what happens at 11:30am, then 1:15, then 2:45, then 6:00....every single day. There's far too much detail in it---making it impossible to put all the great scenes & information into one film.

As for the next one, I wonder if they'll have Quidditch. They didn't have the Ron/Quidditch bit in this one, but they can pull it off by having him join with everyone else who joins the team in HBP. Without Quidditch, they'll need an entirely different setting for Harry & Ginny's first kiss.......
You know, I think movies 3 - 7 need like 4 hour extended dvd versions, a la LOTR, just to satisfy the book loyalist in me.

Yeah I totally forgot about how they omitted the Mauraders explanation. Especially with Harry telling Snape that Padfoot was in trouble. I could imagine someone saying "WTF?"
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

You know, I think movies 3 - 7 need like 4 hour extended dvd versions, a la LOTR, just to satisfy the book loyalist in me.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Don't worry, withg the next two books there is NO WAY Snape will be downsized. Jo has said that Book 6 and 7 are actually a single two-part book. Considering that Snape *IS* the Half-Blood Prince, and the major role he will play in Book 7, I think Yates deliberately downplayed him so that in the next film his impact will be greater. I read an interview and he said that Snape's role is "pivotal" and he "couldn't wait" to begin filming him..he loved Snape's ambiguity. I got the sense that Yates was saving the best for later. I just *LOVE LOVE LOVE* how Alan Rickamn is so INTO his part even in the first 3 films where his role is minimal and of course at that timenobody knew how big a character Snape would become. Rickman loves being Snape and it shows. When UNbridge questions himaobut losing the DADA job and he says "Obviously"..or whatever that one word was, HUGE laughs...
I hope so, Snape is the most interesting character, and in the last books is so important, I can't wait to see "The Half-Blood Prince"

I laughted a lot with the "obviously" scene too, love Alan Rickman, and I love him playing Snape

another thing, I was so excited about Tonks and she has 2 lines! well, one of those line is "don't call me Nymphadora" and that was... well, so Tonks

Bellatrix, Umbridge and Luna were great, one of the best things in the movie, Umbridge is a little "prettier" than I imagined, but you hate that bitch! just like in the book
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
War Child

"Order of the Phoenix" is my favorite of the books so far and I really wanted to like this movie.

Unfortunately, it's a disjointed mess and easily the weakest of the 5 films. It could have used an extra 20-30 minutes to flesh out certain scenes and characters.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
"Order of the Phoenix" is my favorite of the books so far and I really wanted to like this movie.

Unfortunately, it's a disjointed mess and easily the weakest of the 5 films. It could have used an extra 20-30 minutes to flesh out certain scenes and characters.
agreed. i'm hoping for some awesome dvd extras.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
One man's blood is another man's poison. I think OOTP is only good for the final battle scene and the heart wrenching conversation between Harry & Dumbledore at the end.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by vivalapopedge

omg, i'm overwhelmed at the all the good discussion going on in here, i wish i could like take a day and talk about every single post

i'm just gonna say a few quick things about the movie, which i saw last night:

-Pla, i agree w/ what you said about there not being a friendship w/ hermione and ron anymore. it feels like the filmakers are thinking that we take the friendship for granted and don't question it, to the point where there was really only one scene (after harry and cho kiss and hermione and ron and harry are in the common room talking/laughing about it) where you really see that they actually still talk to each other. one of the themes of the book/movie is that harry feels alone, but it seems like the only people who make him not feel alone is the DA, and not his best friends.

-i hate michael gambon as dumbledore. i agree w/ everything that's been said against him. i feel like he's too slapstick almost, and seems almost too young. the thing i loved about harris was how he moved around like he was carrying a lot of secrets and knowledge, and had great respect for the smallest thing, and played the part w/ great subtle humor and was gentle and caring like i always imagined dumbledore. gambon is too slapstick, and actually to me moves around like he is too busy for whatever's going on, and always looks angry. i also didn't like the costume change. i like harris's large, intricate robes, and very white hair, it made him seem older and wiser. gambon just seems immature. that scene in goblet that's been discussed always makes me laugh, which is actually not good.

-i loved the actress who played luna. i don't what about her made me like her portrayl so much, but i think it was the fact that she played luna not trying to make her seem funny or weird, just different, in a fantastic way.

-hermione is one of my favorite characters in the book, but i didn't like emma watson in the last two movies b/c as my little bro says "she overeacts too much." she made hermione seem very petty, and she never seemed satisfied w/ anything, but i enjoyed her in the next one, although she needs to get a new "concerned" face, her eyebrows annoy me.

-i loved the ron/hermione tension. in the last couple, it was very immature flirting, mostly just getting mad at each other, or the scene in chamber where hermione hugs harry but ron's all shy, and just shakes her hand, very middle school. this one, i feel like they both know something is going to happen, but it's just a matter of when, and i loved the looks they kept exchanging, and i loved the fact that they didn't fight.

-the foreshadowing of ginny/harry hookup!! anyone catch it?? after the christmas DA meeting, before he kissed cho, they shot to ginny's face, looking at harry wistfully

-the thing i hate about the books into movies is the great subplots cut out, like ron as keeper on the house team (although quidditch always bored me) and st. mungo's, but also some are thrown in there b/c it feels like the filmakers knew it was significant, like hagrid and grawp

-when voldemort posesses harry at the ministry and they show the flashbacks, incredibly well done, don't remember it in the book??? but very well done, i was tearing up, i admit

-finally, anyone think it was waaaaaaaaay too dark??i couldn't see anyting in the scenes in the forest??? i know it's supposed to be "symbolic" but come on......

okay, that's it for now, i'm sure i'll think of more

i'll go see it again soon, because the first time is the analytical/critiquing time, next time is the enjoyment time

saw it last night w/ a massive group of friends, took up two rows
totally sold out

i work as a counselor at a summer camp 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so i'm sick of those kids after awhile
so who should i see at the showing but three of the kids
one of them actually left camp early to go see it, she was rubbing it in my face that i couldn't go til i got off work
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

One man's blood is another man's poison. I think OOTP is only good for the final battle scene and the heart wrenching conversation between Harry & Dumbledore at the end.

just saw this post
i agree w/ it 99 %

i have a massive eight year crush on ron, so it was awesome for me since he got a haircut
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #45
Refugee

Grrr....Utoo, I have *NO IDEA* how to move a paragraph from one thread to another! Mods: please tell me this is possible? And if it is, can you do it for me? It's in the open page belowthe Zoo menu, titled "For Harry Potter Fans"....the part where it starts at " massive movie spoilers."

If you can't, everyone please go there and read it at least. Yates as a director I feel comfortable with, but I'm sorry, you have to get rid of Hooper. He's a good TV composer and it shows. But his music has none of the "epic" feel HP needs and has been done so beautifully for all the films so far. No motifs. I was expecting a 'Ministry/Fudge" motif for example, etc. Umbridge was the only one who got a motif and suited her but.....