Anyone else think N'Sync cheapens Star Wars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Sorry but I got sick when I heard N'Sync were gonna be in the next installment of Star Wars. Are they really that desperate to attract kiddies they would resort to boy bands? I think this weakens and cheapens the Star Wars legacy almost to the level of Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space. This is especially upsetting because it was rumored that Bono was supposed to be in it as a poet on Alderaan, but he's not in it and they are.

The original trilogy stood on its own and achieved greatness with relative unknowns in the cast. Is this the mentality that must be catered to now to be a success? If it's any consolation their careers will likely be over before the movie is released and they will be stuck and having N'Sync will look like the joke it is!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 01-09-2002).]

I agree U2Kitten.

I think for some reason Lucas seems to be pandering to a younger generation who might not otherwise see Star Wars, but now for *NSYNC they well. *groan*

Star Wars was cheapened the during Return of the Jedi when the wookies were replaced with those furry cute ewoks instead.

Episode I made it even worse. Jar Jar Binks practically destroyed the film's credibility single-handedly, and the kid who played Anakin Skywalker was terrible. Certainly there were worse movies to come out at that time, but after waiting for so long and after all the hype, I'd say Episode I was the let down of the millenium movie-wise. And I'm a big Star Wars fan so...

That being said, I might rent Episode II just so I can get a good laugh, but I don't want to shell out the $8 to see the film.

There are more things besides N'Sync that'll make this film a stinker. Jar Jar is one of them. The love story (even though it's part of the premise that Jedi Knights are stoic as to not let love get in the way) Letsee, what else... Can't think of anything else right now.

So lemme get this straight:

NSTINK is gonna appear in a cameo, or they're gonna sing or a member or the GROUP? is gonna be in it?

Cuz once I read in a mag that J.C. Chasez was dying to participate on the movie.
Anyone knows something about this?

I didnt plan on seeing that worthless piece of trash movie even before i heard about this. Phantom menace sucked big time, and i wont be wasting my money on this either. Its all over - I'm gonna go and watch one of the original Star Wars movies - back when they actually knew how to make 'em. I think they brought idiots into the crew or else maybe Lucas has lost his mind or something. This next movie will be a totally pointless waste of time.
mad.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

From eonline.com...

BYE, BYE, BYE: 'N Sync's Joey Fatone telling a Florida radio station that the boy band's brief cameo in Star Wars: Episode II--Attack of the Clones is being cut "because people made a big deal about it." No confirmation yet from Lucasfilm on whether the boys are gone for good.

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
I didnt plan on seeing that worthless piece of trash movie even before i heard about this. Phantom menace sucked big time, and i wont be wasting my money on this either. Its all over - I'm gonna go and watch one of the original Star Wars movies - back when they actually knew how to make 'em. I think they brought idiots into the crew or else maybe Lucas has lost his mind or something. This next movie will be a totally pointless waste of time.
mad.gif

Hmmm... Looks like someone didn't get The Phantom Menace.

There are tons of other things that cheapen star wars themselves

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
From eonline.com...

BYE, BYE, BYE: 'N Sync's Joey Fatone telling a Florida radio station that the boy band's brief cameo in Star Wars: Episode II--Attack of the Clones is being cut "because people made a big deal about it." No confirmation yet from Lucasfilm on whether the boys are gone for good.

Or it could be a cover-up so George Lucas will get the die hard fans who hate N'Sync to see the film anyway. Jar Jar is going to be in Episode II, but it's not being hyped and won't be in trailers (as far as I know) only because Jar Jar irritated the long standing fans.

As far as N'Sync goes, I read in a couple of places about a week or two ago that they were going to be in a battle scene. We can only hope that they get blown up. I also read that George Lucas' daughter really likes N'Sync, so that's why Lucas obliged to put them in the movie. Who knows for sure? Either way, the rumor that N'Sync and George Lucas are linked with Episode II is, well... I have a few choice words for that but I digress.

Actually, Lucas had nothing to do with it. They asked Rick McCallum (The producer/Lucas's bitch) and he said sure.

At any rate, I don't see why people put Star Wars on such an untouchable pedestal. Most people know Star Wars as a great science fiction movie that spawned two sequels and, so far, one prequel, as well as a successful toy line, a few novels, and a few comics.

Culturally, Star Wars has been a great influence on people around my age. We collected the toys and made the lightsaber sounds. We watched the movies over and over when they came out on video. The Star Wars trilogy held a special place in our hearts.

When 1997 rolled around, Star Wars was something that rested in the back of our cultural psyche, and we were all pleased to learn that the movies were going to be rereleased with special added footage. Not only that, but there was also another movie in the works. A Star Wars movie. Wow. So, everyone goes to see the movies in the theaters again, and everyone has a jolly old time, getting nostalgic, digging out their old toys, and feeling like kids again. Over the next two years, fans wait eagerly for the new movie. Web sites pop up, and rumors are everywhere. Nobody can wait to see a grand epic adventure unfold before their eyes. Nobody can wait to see amazing fight scenes, over the top space battles, and heroic lightsaber duels. Imagine, a movie about the glory days of the Jedi. People flying and fighting, lightsabers clashing. We all had such high expectations of such an amazing movie. This was to be more than a movie. This was going to be an event!

At midnight on May 19, 1999, thousands upon thousands of fans piled into the theaters and cheered when they saw the words:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Then something happened. The movie wasn't a grand epic. It was a much smaller story about an alien invasion, a little boy, and a young queen. Where were the amazing battles? The grand duel? The Jedi fighting bad Jedi? Why don't I feel like a kid again?

The problem is not the movies. The problem is the audience. We grew up. We watched the original trilogy and felt like children because we were children when we first saw it. When we first saw the new one, we had grown. We became older, more cynical, and more adult.

Star Wars didn't change. It always had its corny aspects. Most people chose to ignore them. How many of you have sat through the Star Wars Holiday Special, or listened to Christmas in the Stars? How many of you are familiar with the Disco version of the Star Wars theme? How many of you recall begging your parents to let you stay up and watch the Ewok movies? How many of you watched the Droids/Ewoks cartoons on a regular basis? How many of you complained every time Kevin J. Anderson employed a new superweapon in one of his books? How many of you know what a Hoojib is? I'm gussing not many. All these tidbits have come and gone. All of them have been ignored by the masses. Why? Becausee they're tacky, corny, cheesy, stupid, and pointless. If anything cheapened Star Wars, it was those.

Looking back at history, it's not hard to realize that Star Wars never really changed at all. We did.

In closing, I'm relieved that 'N Sync that 'N Sync will most likely not appear in it, but I wouldn't mind if they did, because, ultimately, it all boils down to the simple fact that it's just a Star Wars movie.

------------------
It's the Bono Action Figure!

Originally posted by Not George Lucas:
Star Wars didn't change. It always had its corny aspects. Most people chose to ignore them. How many of you have sat through the Star Wars Holiday Special, or listened to Christmas in the Stars? How many of you are familiar with the Disco version of the Star Wars theme? How many of you recall begging your parents to let you stay up and watch the Ewok movies? How many of you watched the Droids/Ewoks cartoons on a regular basis? How many of you complained every time Kevin J. Anderson employed a new superweapon in one of his books? How many of you know what a Hoojib is? I'm gussing not many. All these tidbits have come and gone. All of them have been ignored by the masses. Why? Becausee they're tacky, corny, cheesy, stupid, and pointless. If anything cheapened Star Wars, it was those.

WORD.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

VERY good news on this. I just read in this morning's paper that N'SYNC is OUT of the movie due to an incredible backlash of complaints to George Lucas's company by FANS ON THE INTERNET!! They let him know just how bad they thought this was and he is cutting the scene! No stupid N'SYNC to spoil Star Wars!! They are of course upset about it and their feelings are hurt that they were not wanted by so many people. Joey said "we are out of it and I don't want to talk about it." Too bad!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Even if they are gone, the mere fact they've been planned inot it will ruin it for me. I'll be sitting there in every battle scene thinking "grrr this is where Nsync were gonna be"
Now I hear on channel v today that freakin Celine Dion is doing a bloody themesong!!!!!!!!!!!!

People think "ah big deal" but I wasnt pleased when Lawrence Fishburne was even included in the cast. Hes a good actor but screams Hollywood to me, and Hollywood is the last thing u want Star Wars to remind u of.

Not Happy, Jan
mad.gif

not George...

u are very correct on the cheesines factor. SW is badly acted, its isn't the greatest script ever written however I think there is one element you are forgetting. It is original. Apart from GUinness, the actors were unknowns, nothing else like it had been made before and to bring in spoilt pop singers just because they are fans of the films, bites major jedi arse.

oh and adam's mistress, the wookees weren't replaced. The ewoks were just new characters.
Ewoks rule
Yub yub

ZA<--- fan of The Caravan of Courage

Imagine if Star Wars had included the Bay City Rollers! It had unknowns and it became great. That is the true test of greatness- kind of like U2
wink.gif

I'm just so happy N'Sync are GONE! I will always wonder where they might have been too, and I'm sure the cut scenes will become collector's items and appear on outtakes shows for years. You fans (assuming there are some here) may get to see them after all. Thank goodness the rest of us will be spared.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

n sync sucks. that's all there is to it.

------------------
"Everyone argues, then we do what I say" -Bono

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
Star Wars was cheapened the during Return of the Jedi when the wookies were replaced with those furry cute ewoks instead.

I agree. And no i don't really think that the inclusion of N*SYNC cheapens it, because although I like STar Wars as much as the next person (maybe more) I can admit that they are cheap ass B grade movies. I mean the acting was AWFUL from the begining, it just another steriotype of the hero's journey and it's been sold out before and recomped the same night. So yeah I think it's lame as hell that N*SYNC is in it, but I think Lucas is lame as hell on his own. So....

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Um, the Celine Dion thing was debunked months ago.

As for SW being a cheesy B movie, it is. It's trying to be. It was heavily influenced by the Flash Gordon serials Lucas watched as a kid. The only difference is that Lucas incorporated mythology into it and redefined special effects for it.

Nstink cheapens music and life in general. Blah on them.

------------------
me in chat: Holy fecking mesh Batman!

"It's all about drums."

Proud owner of the mofoin Discoboos (boom cha!) and Larry's stick...hehe.

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom