Anyone else stuck at work today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
The streets are empty and almost everyone I know is either asleep, playing with their new Xmas goodies, or shopping. They are most certainly NOT at work, like me.

Anyone else forced to be at work today?

Yep! LOL! You clean up, and you go to Boxing Day Sales. It's also one of the busiest days of the year to go to movies.

I spent most of yesterday doing dishes and ironing laundry, but then made up for it by watching my new U2 DVD! :)

HelloAngel said:

Nope! Is that when you clean up after all the mess made on Christmas? :laugh: I'm so stupid. :crack:

Mrs. Edge said:
Yep! LOL! You clean up, and you go to Boxing Day Sales. It's also one of the busiest days of the year to go to movies.

Ok.. seriously... Boxing Day is that day you box up stuff to throw out? Like Christmas stuff only, or just many things because of the New Year coming and the want to start new?

:confused:

:hug: mrs edge :hug: LMFAO.

HelloAngel said:

Ok.. seriously... Boxing Day is that day you box up stuff to throw out? Like Christmas stuff only, or just many things because of the New Year coming and the want to start new?

:confused:

:hug: mrs edge :hug: LMFAO.

Hmmm. Well, I thought I'd look up the origin of Boxing Day, and I always knew it had to do with the servants taking the day off, but I also thought it had to do with putting away the Christmas boxes. Maybe not! Here's a bit of history....

What is Boxing Day?
Traditional English holiday extends Christmas giving

by David Johnson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite its name, Boxing Day, which is celebrated on December 26 in Great Britain, has nothing to do with pugilistic competition. Nor is it a day for people to return unwanted Christmas presents. While the exact origins of the holiday are obscure, it is likely that Boxing Day began in England during the Middle Ages.

Some historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes.

Church Alms Boxes

Another theory is that the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited coins for the poor were opened and the contents distributed on December 26, which is also the Feast of St. Stephen.

As time went by, Boxing Day gift giving expanded to include those who had rendered a service during the previous year. This tradition survives today as people give presents to tradesmen, mail carriers, doormen, porters, and others who have helped them.

First Weekday after Christmas

Boxing Day is celebrated in Great Britain and in most areas settled by the English (the U.S. is the major exception), including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. However, Boxing Day is generally considered to be the first weekday following Christmas. If Christmas falls on a Friday or a weekend then Boxing Day is the following Monday.

yes, i am stuck at work today. i was here yesterday as well. there are only 4 people here in my office.

and this is what i have been doing so far this morning in my office:

my friend and i have been trying to understand why some guys have a hard time communicating, responding to e-mail's, falling in love, etc. you know things that we women will never ever understand. haha..:lol: :scream: :banghead: :der:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
my friend and i have been trying to understand why some guys have a hard time communicating, responding to e-mail's, falling in love, etc. you know things that we women will never ever understand. haha..:lol: :scream: :banghead: :der:

Yes, this has always been a mystery to me too! Especially the responding to emails part!!!! :mad:

Anyway, I figured I could at least escape the food overload here at work, but one of the 3 people in the office brought in a huge box of Timbits. I cannot resist Timbits. :drool: :banghead:

well i managed to move on from the never ending mystery of men to the following :

*my upcoming trip to Arizona

*stories of college and terrible professors.

oh and i just made plans with my brother to go to lunch at 12:30 , so at least i have the much planned for the afternoon. haha

jess, what are timbits?

Hewson said:
Working.
In fact worked every day this week except Wednesday. Did get out early on Tuesday though.

yes, you and i both have the same work schedule. i will be here on New Years Eve!!!!! :| thankfully i have New Years Day off and will be taking Jan 2 off as a personal day.

oh and besides yesterday being Boxing Day, it was also the first day of Kwanzaa.

so happy belated Boxing Day and Kwanzaa from me.

I'm at work. Two of my three employees are here too.

All of our clients are gone. The phone is quiet. Keeping busy here on Interference.

I think I'll let my group out early. :yes:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
jess, what are timbits?

Timbits are the delectable mini donut ball savouries produced by Tim Hortons. They are pretty standard at meetings all across Canada! hehehe. I think Tim Hortons is now in Detroit and Buffalo, but that's about it for the US.

nbcrusader, you sound like a nice boss.

I am at work. I came in even later than yesterday. I am not really concerned. Most everyone is on leave. There is only like maybe 10 people in the bldg. I got drunk last night and messed up my foot. That is the reason why I was even later. I am really surprised I did not have a hang over. The funny thing is that knowing me I will not even go out this weekend. I always end up doing things on the week day. I am such a boofus sometimes.

we closed the office for today
I had an outside appointment I had to go to first thing in the morning though
woohay

Ok. I just downloaded MSN messenger here at work. A very big no no. :reject:
I will uninstall it as soon as I leave for the day... but I need someone to talk to! None of my contacts are online. :(

if my company didn't firewall AIM or MSN IM or any other IM service, i would talk to you!!!!!!

so here i sit still stuck here, bored to death....which only means i am going insane now and attempting to call my friend overseas..which by the way sucks big time!!! :scream:

how was that pizza and beer?

Back
Top Bottom