Anyone else seeing Grindhouse friday???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rose mcgowan's machine gun-leg will totally be worth the price of admission.

i am so there. :up:

For those that have seen it, how bloody is it? I get a bit sick to my stomach when movies are really bloody and violent. For example, Goodfellas makes me a bit queesy.

Um from what I can tell, if Goodfellas made you queesy, avoid this at all cost. Planet Terror is basically people killing a bunch of zombies. That's always extremely gory.

it'll be totally over the top, ja. seriously, there will probably be crazy blood and gore, and t&a.

grumpyhyper2.gif

Just got back from an advanced showing in town. What an amazing night.

Seriously, this film was easily the most utterly satisfying movie experience I've had in a good year. Planet Terror was WAY better than I expected. Probably Rodriguez' (Spell that right?) best film to date. It has an AMAZING title sequence too. (Rose McGowen fans will know what I'm talking about). And speaking of Rose, she is utterly GORGEOUS in this film, and she kicks uncountable ass in it.

Death Proof was a bit of a disappointment, given Tarantino's extremely high caliber back catalogue. This was definitely more Kill Bill than Pulp Fiction, and definitely unlike anything he's ever done before. There's a ton of dialogue, but only half of it is really captivating. Nowhere near as memorable or interesting as anything in Pulp Fiction. But Death Proof has two things Pulp Fiction didn't have: mindblowing car chases, and Kurt Russell. Honestly, Russell has crafted another legendary role here that you really have to see to believe. Stuntman Mike makes this film what it is. The enormous cast of gorgeous women doesn't hurt either.

I have to say though that my favorite part of Grindhouse is the foux movie trailers. Machete is being made into a full movie. Once you see the trailer, you'll know why. It looks insane. Of the other three trailers, Thanksgiving was easily the most shocking, and in itself was probably the most bloody and disgusting thing I've seen in a long time. If you get squeemish from Goodfella's, the Thanksgiving trailer alone will make you hurl all over the floor (although Planet Terror will asure that long before Thanksgiving comes on :D). The other two trailers are both hilarious, especially Werewolf Women of the SS. When a certain actor makes a surprise cameo in this trailer, I nearly laughed so hard I shit myself. It's amazing. I loved it.

Overall I have to give Grandhouse a 10/10. The movies themselves aren't amazing. Death Proof is probably the weakest Tarantino flick yet on its own. But you have to experience this as a whole cohesive project. It achieves what it sets out to do and FAR surpasses all expectations. It's easily the most entertaining 3+ hours I've spend in a theatre in a looooong time.

Saw it, loved it. (Especially the Thanksgiving trailer) I think I might go see it a second time. :up:

The Death Proof car chase had be on the edge of my seat for a good 5 minutes. I do wish that Rose McGowan's machine gun leg had a larger part. I hadn't seen many trailers for the movie, but they made it seem like she (and her leg) *was* the movie.

I can't believe "Are We Done Yet?" is apparently being seen by more people.

I haven't seen the movie but read that the Thanksgiving trailer directed by Eli Roth (Hostel) had to be toned down a bit before getting approval from the powers that be.

Thanksgiving trailer (explicit)

Just watch some of the clips from that site to get an idea of what to expect. This ain't your father's Goodfellas, :wink:

Last edited:
Apparently the cinema-going crowd is not ready for the second coming of the exploitation genre, as the film has utterly tanked at the box office. :shrug:

It's not just that.

The movies are a combined 3 hours and are rated R, which limits crowds severely.

i went in knowing how cool rose and her maching gun leg would be, and ended up leaving thinking that zoe bell is the shit. she (and kurt russell's performance) totally rocked 'death proof'. :up:

'i'm fine!'

I've been reading that Death Proof and Planet Terror might be re-released as separate movies.

What do you guys think about that?

Deathproff will probably do less well.

Planet Terror is more geared towards the same young males, that gave 300 a strong box office.

They would be smart to run all the coming attractions with both films.

thing is, would they gain an audience by doing this? anyone that wants to see either of these movies, will be willing to sit three+ hours in a movie seat, and probably already has.

i've seen most of the tarantino movies in the theatre and this is the first time that i haven't seen anyone walk out halfway through the movie. at this point, people know tarantino's (and arguably rodriguez's) style, and either you love it or hate it. i'm not sure how making the movies shorter will help convert people, if that's their intention.

wasn't it kind of a similar situation with kill bill? that the original was too long and the studio asked tarantino to split it up into two movies. but i remember after they had both been released in theatres, there was talk of releasing them as one movie, as quentin originally intended. anyway, they never did end up doing that, as a theatre re-release, so all us tarantino fans are just waiting with baited breath for them to release it as a director's cut dvd or something.

I just saw this over the weekend and I loved it!!! Never saw this kind of film before and now i want to watch the few available classics on dvd that are out there :up:

Bruce Willis and Rose McGowan both kicked ass!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom