Anyone else into stock markets - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 AM
too complicated for me, I could never keep up.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 10:47 PM
You have a serious problem, my friend

I know a bit about the market but not enough to make my own trades. . .I only invest for the long-term. The odds are in my favor if I diversify and stay in it for the long haul. If there are any stocks that are doing especially bad my financial advisor moves them for me. He gets paid for that. Not as exciting but practical for me!

My investments are about 25% bonds and 75% stocks (diversified amongst growth and more stable areas).

Old 09-19-2004, 02:07 PM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

Never buy a cheap stock - Its gambling

Well, we don't make a habit of it. Most of our investments are for the long term, not to make a quick buck, but this was a highly recommended stock that someone we trusted had already invested in.

The technology being developed by the company we invested in was supposed to be in high demand due to security changes after 9/11 and it looked like a pretty sure thing. Of course I know now that nothing is a sure thing, but it was a live and learn experience.

That said, we let our financial planner do the work for us now. He keeps things diversified between mutual funds, global and small cap stock. I'm not thrilled with our return rate the last few years but I'm too conservative to pull everything out and put our money somewhere else.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Being that I live hand in mouth and have no extra money to invest I won't have to worry about it.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Well, we don't make a habit of it. Most of our investments are for the long term, not to make a quick buck, but this was a highly recommended stock that someone we trusted had already invested in.

The technology being developed by the company we invested in was supposed to be in high demand due to security changes after 9/11 and it looked like a pretty sure thing. Of course I know now that nothing is a sure thing, but it was a live and learn experience.

That said, we let our financial planner do the work for us now. He keeps things diversified between mutual funds, global and small cap stock. I'm not thrilled with our return rate the last few years but I'm too conservative to pull everything out and put our money somewhere else.
That said, our guy is in the know..he's the vice-president of a Prudential division that, from what I understand, was purchased by Wachovia...we've known him well enough that he was at our wedding several years back...matter of fact, he told me how much I could spend on the wedding without getting into trouble...Either he was wrong or BAW didn't listen! we're okay now..we keep our eye on it weekly but we don't dwell on it...some pretty safe and conservative ventures...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:47 PM
I am a retirement planning consultant. I advise companies on their 401(k)s but not with their investments however I do work in the investment field and daily with Mutual Funds.

I am studying right now to obtain my broker's license.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:47 PM
The stock markets have changed over the years. In the past, prices were largely driven by company standing and forecast outlook. Far from gambling, investing in stocks was an educated business.

Today, with computer trading, day traders, and instant access to all news sources, short-term prices can fluctuate as if with the wind. You also have more individuals looking for the quick $$$, playing with risky stocks, chasing after tech stocks, etc. That stuff is gambling.