Anyone else have/seen the 3 game final Canada Cup 1987 DVD? Gretzky and Lemieux, wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just bought this DVD set, and game 2 has to be the best hockey game I've ever seen. Gretzky has scored 5 goals in a game a few times, and even though in game 2 he doesn't score one goal, Gretzky calls it the best game he ever played. Instead, he had 5 assists. Lemieux had 3 goals, all assisted by Gretzky.

If anyone thinks Lemieux was far and away the more talented player, they should check out this series. Gretzky in his prime was skating circles around everyone - and these were the best players in the world. I can't get over how fast he was. He was all over the ice! Apparently he peed his pants after game 2, as he lost all control of his bodily functions!

Gretzky and Lemieux finished 1-2 in tournament scoring, Gretzky with 21 points to Lemieux's 18. That has to be the best line I've ever seen. Gretzky, Lemieux, (and whoever else on left wing), Coffey and Bourque on defense. Wow.

Anyone else seen this series?

57530172.jpg

I watched it live, well, on tv and yes, Michael, it is the best 3 games of hockey ever played, EVER!!!!!!

What does the DVD set contain? Is it just highlights of the games? full games? Interviews? Recent interviews?

I might pick it up.

It's all three games in their entirety!!! Actually, without commercials. They edit out some stopages in plays, etc. But yeah, it's the real deal, not highlights. No interviews, just pure adrenalin. I ordered my copy by walking into chapters. It arrived a week later. It's called Blade Wars. Make sure to get the box set that contains all three games. It's about $25, $30 with shipping.

do you think gretzky should be kicked out of the hall of fame for being part of this illegal gambling ring?

Yes. Even though there is no evidence of him being involved, I still think they should strip him from the hall of fame. Yes, I do. We do live in the world of guilty until proven innocent, afterall.

i agree, give him the pete rose treatment

and no evidence of him being involved? his wife is betting hundreds of thousands of dollars and his assisstant coach is the leader of it all? if he didnt know this was going on then he must have got in the head with the puck a couple too many times.

I said evidence. Circumstances do not stand up in the court of law.

As far as his wife's gambling is concerned (if she was actually involved of course), I say, who cares? I don't think it would have been a big deal. It's not like SHE owns the Coyotes.

A nice little story. The last three paragraphs are specially nice...

Gretzky: Living Up To The Hype

From Jamie Fitzpatrick,

If anyone deserved the hyperbolic send-off, it was him.
Some thoughts from April of 1999, when Wayne Gretzky played his final NHL game.

The day before Wayne Gretzky retired, I went around the corner to pick up milk and newspapers. I scanned the front-page retirement story as the guy at the checkout was ringing me in.
“He was never that good,” he mumbled, bagging the milk.

“Hmm?”

“He was only as good as the fellows around him,” said Mr. Checkout, who looked about 60 or 65 years old.

I shook my head, told him I didn’t agree, gave him my money and left.

If anyone, it tends to be the older guys who refuse to give Gretzky his due. Their favorite argument is that none of today’s stars would have amounted to much in the rough and tumble six-team era of the 1950s and 1960s.

The late sportswriter Dick Beddoes is said to have grumbled that Gretzky would have been a third-line player in the old days. I don’t know if he ever changed his mind.
Nostalgia and sports are a powerful mix– those old black and white newsreels are beautiful – and the golden memories can be blinding. There are lots of old guys (some younger guys, too) who just know the NHL has never been the same since the days of the Rocket and the Kraut Line and Turk Broda.

So the retirement weekend represents a turning point for hockey fans of Wayne Gretzky’s generation. We now have license to indulge in nostalgia. From here on, we can sit back and say “not as good as Wayne.”

And he’ll only get better as we get older. We will become the new old guys. The process has begun. They had the Rocket. We had Gretzky. Not a bad trade.

It’s a shame that some of Gretzky’s record-breaking plays are his least spectacular. Fifty goals in 50 games is a stunning accomplishment. But number-50 was an empty-netter, not one of the more exciting plays in sport. You see it all the time when the TV networks do Gretzky tributes. In fact, despite all the available footage, most networks stick to the same six or eight goals, the ones that marked milestones. Rather lazy work on their part.
Occasionally, a true vintage moment creeps into the mix. There is one goal against the Bruins, from the early days in Edmonton, when his hair still feathered from the back of his helmet. He’s on the backhand, freezes a defenceman with a shoulder dip and slides the puck between the guy’s legs, picks it up forehand, does a little shift to send the goalie sprawling, and roofs it. It lasts about three seconds and tells you everything you need to know.

Inevitably, there is the gaudy statistical record. The numbers are so enormous – a player would have to average 140 points per season for 20 years to match his totals - that when they all tumble out at once they become almost meaningless. Hundreds of this, thousands of that… whatever.
Perhaps the most striking measure of Gretzky’s impact isn’t found in the numbers, but in his standing among fantasy leagues and hockey pools. For a few years during the mid-eighties, it was not unusual to see Gretzky banned from the pool. No one could pick him, because he scored too much and would throw the entire competition out of whack. Gretzky was too good for fantasy hockey as well as the real thing.

I remember explaining this to my friend Bob sometime in 1985 or 1986, showing him the previous years statistics to illustrate. Bob, a casual hockey fan, checked the margin of Gretzky’s scoring lead. “For f**k’s sake,” he exclaimed. “That’s f**king ridiculous!”

Gretzky’s final skate wasn’t much of a game, painfully demonstrating why he’s giving it up: the Rangers aren’t worth returning to.
He’s lost a step or two, but was still the best playmaker on the ice on Sunday. He made a dozen or so excellent passes, but the game was half over before his ham-fisted teammates finally converted one of them into a goal.

Everyone wanted him to score the winner in overtime, but it didn’t happen. “Maybe when I was younger I might have got the winner,” he said after. It was one of his more telling statements: I can’t do those things anymore. It’s over.

In September of 1991, I was in Toronto to see Canada play Sweden in the Canada Cup tournament. The game was over by the first intermission. Gretzky had not only set up two Canadian goals, he had engineered both while killing penalties.
But the best moment wasn’t a goal. I think it was the middle of the second period when Gretzky took the puck behind the Swedish net. A pair of defenders stood awkwardly in front, terrified. Gretzky motioned to the right of the net, now back, now left, now back, the yellow jerseys hesitating, freezing, stumbling in front of him.

Finally, after maybe eight or ten seconds, an embarrassed defender dislodged the net to get a whistle. By this time the entire building was on its feet, players included, watching one man hold the game on a string.

It isn't on most highlight reels. But I had never seen anything like it in my life, and I don’t imagine I ever will.

I watched thats series on tv when it happened. My dad had his buddies over for all three games. I remember it like yesterday.It's my generations version of the '72 Summit Series.

Back
Top Bottom