Anyone else a BIG fan of REM's early stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paxetaurora said:
Life's Rich Pageant is one of my favorite albums by anyone, ever. "I Believe," "These Days," "Superman," "Swan Swan Hummingbird"...just one really creative, beautiful song after another. I just put "The Flowers of Guatemala" at the end of a mix CD for a friend of mine.

"swan swan hummingbird" is the only one i don't really like on that album

"i beleive" has a banjo. how cool is that?

reveal stuff i listen to"
immitation of life
dissappear
all the way to reno

i know it's pathetic that two of those are singles, and it's the closest i've ever come to only listening to the singles on a given album, but as u2popmofo said, they do seem to go on for too long

and they're the same kind of shimmer-y thing where they all have the all sound similar, the kind of thing that wouldn't have worked with songs other than those titled "summer turns to high"

Salome said:
ever since New Adventures I get this feeling that Stipe's genius just outshines the rest of the band a bit too much

Interesting. I've never been that big of a fan of Stipe's voice. I like it, but I've never considered it all that great. I've always liked REM for the guitar/instrumentation. That's probably why I really like their first 2 albums.

Up does have great lyrics, Falls to Climb probably being my favorite on the album.

Ok, got done with Reveal:

Overall, better than I remembered. Some of the songs I used to hate seemed better, some I used to like seemed worse.

What I hated: Summer Turns to High and Beachball. Summer Turns to High is one of the most boring songs I've ever heard, Beachball has to seriously be one of the worst songs I've heard recently, by any group. Yuck.

R.E.M is one of my fav bands! I love their older stuff but I also enjoy they new stuff as well!!

I feel like listening to some R.E.M right now actually!

u2popmofo said:
Ok, got done with Reveal:

Overall, better than I remembered. Some of the songs I used to hate seemed better, some I used to like seemed worse.

What I hated: Summer Turns to High and Beachball. Summer Turns to High is one of the most boring songs I've ever heard, Beachball has to seriously be one of the worst songs I've heard recently, by any group. Yuck.

Well, those are probably my least favorite songs on the album. I don't hate them, but they're not standout tracks for me.

In other news, I think I need to buy Up, since so many people here seem to adore it in comparison to Reveal.

I believe in coyotes and time as an abstract
explain the change, the difference between
what you want and what you need, there's the key,
your adventure for today, what do you do
between the horns of the day?

--"I Believe"

Well yeah, Reveal is ok. It's not rubbish by any means. And I think REM have a long life ahead of them, potentially. They just aren't the sort of band who rely on being young, their music has somewhat of an old soul about it.

The song they apparently used chunks of Leonard Cohen to create (can't recall the name) is one of my favourites on UP. As is At my most Beautiful.

You want to go out Friday
and you want to go forever

You want to trust the doctors
their procedure is the best
but the last try was a failure
and the intern was a mess

Back to early REM.

One of the reasons I think I really like early REM so much is the clean/jangly Rickenbacker guitar sound. It reminds me a lot of the The Smiths, who are another one of my favorite groups of all time. Anyways, early REM guitar and instrumentation are great.

I have all albums counting from Green (when I became a 'fan'). I can't really decide which I will take as my favourite. I guess it's a tie between Up and New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I think I need to update my catalogue with the backcatalogue. :scratch: But which one to buy first? :shrug:

ME, ME, ME!!!

specially cause you could never quite get the lyrics :)

radiofree, (oh i'm dreaming) best song ever and they kept right on putting it out for the eager young college folk in philly..:)

Back
Top Bottom