Anyone buying the new Pete Yorn album today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
browneyedgirl said:
I'll be picking it up this weekend
even tho I need to slow down on the cd buying...:reject:

Me too, I've been buying too many CDs lately :sigh:

I will probably pick up Pete's though--I really liked his first album.

Just bought it. First couple of songs are ok. I'll update ya when I wade my way thru the rest!

I got it today (it was on sale for SIX BUCKS at one of the music stores by my college! Yahoo!), and I'm listening to it now. I'll post reactions to each song.

Where's MonaVox on this one, come to think of it?

1.) Intro (cute little trifle)
2.) Come Back Home (awesome! Reminds me of "Life on a Chain" for some reason)
3.) Crystal City (like mid-period Pearl Jam, not bad but Pete can do better)
4.) Carlos (not so great, kind of boring for some reason)
5.) Pass Me By (has me thinking of "Strange Condition" or "Murray"...nice recovery from the previous two)
6.) Committed (has this cool, old-school-pop sensibility to it like the Beatles or the Beach Boys...very nice)
7.) Long Way Down (kinda lyrically unimpressive, seems to drag a little...no Pete, you were doing so well!)
8.) When You See the Light (better, nice recovery...interesting rhythm, fun to listen to)
9.) Turn of the Century (I have an earlier version of this on my old computer, such a sad and beautiful song...I think I like the old version better, but this is really a lovely song and I'm glad it's getting an official release...*Ryan Adams* fans will probably like this one a lot)
10.) Burrito (a good, snarly, snarky, fun rocker...nice balance to "Turn of the Century")
11.) Man in Uniform (reminds me of "Closet," maybe...a little quieter than "Burrito," gentle, introspective, but not as quiet as "Turn of the Century...very nice)
12.) All at Once (another gentle little song, "Sleep Alone"-ish without the cool harmonies)
13.) Four random seconds of silence... ::shrug::
14.) So Much Work (yet another gentle little song...I think three in a row is too many, although all three of the last three songs are nice to listen to--he should have thrown another rocker in there)

I think it's worth buying if you're already a Yorn fan, but if you're unfamiliar with his music, get Musicforthemorningafter first. I think Music... is probably a little stronger, but there are a lot of good songs here and I'm sure it still has to grow on me.

Strongest tunes:
Come Back Home
Committed
Turn of the Century
Burrito

Not-quite-as-strong:
Crystal City
Long Way Down
Carlos

Last edited:
i got it yesterday. i agree that if you're not a fan, get musicforthemorningafter first...they just seem to be catchier songs...but i'm really liking the majority of the songs. and i like crystal village, personally...one of my favs on it...

i love it too, iris and beth...it's like...burriTO...heh

digi...no, i haven't seen him before...i'm so :hyper:!

Well, planned on buyin musicforthemorningafter, was happy to find it today at Target of all places, for 9.99. And also found Day I Forgot for only 5.99!!!

Geesh, go to your local Target and purchase this damn album, at that price especially.......

btw, so far I like it......:up:

After a weekend of listening to this thing I have to say it is quite good. The songs remind Springsteen/REM combined, his voice as well.

Back
Top Bottom