Anyone buy/see G3 DVD concert with Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
My knowledge of guitar is rudimentary and I'm not a huge fan of shredding but I bought the new G3 Concert on DVD that has songs being performed by Satch, Vai, and Malmsteen and I have to say it was one of the most entertaining music shows I've seen on DVD. The production/ film direction was great and the music was amazing. I think it was a Denver show but my level of appreciation for these guys grows even more.

I bought a G3 DVD with Satriani, Vai, and Eric Johnson and as much as I liked that DVD, this one blew that one out of the water (though Eric Johnson's set is always amazing). I enjoyed Vai, and Satriani' set much more than the one they did for the first G3 DVD. Malmsteen is a showman and amazing.

The music is of course fast in parts, but the melodies are great when they did slow down. The riffs were catchy as well. Technically speaking... I was shaking my head b/c it made me sad to know that I could never achieve their technical skill. :drool:

Seriously, I reccomend this DVD to anyone and it makes me one to buy other DVDs showcasing them. Chime in if you want to give props...

Satch's Starry Nights was great for my tastes...

I am a HUGE Steve Vai fan. I purchased the DVD but it's just waiting in a home in miami until someone comes down to honduras with it.
I'm sure it's amazing.
I own the first G3 with Eric Johnson that you mentioned and I also own "Live at the Astoria" by Steve Vai. That one is truly amazing because Vai is just out of this world.

IMHO Steve Vai is the best guitarist/showman of all.

I'm not familiar with Steve Vai's work outside of the G3 stuff, but if I have the money, I will buy his "Passion & Warfare" (I think that was the title of the album). If I get into Zappa, I will try to get some albums he worked together with Zappa...

He is a great showman just amazing. Billy Sheehan of Mr. Big fame was playing bass as well as some other guys who were just awe-inspiring in terms of their playing. Vai can do all the funny guitar faces he wants b/c his set was pretty cool. It was the song "Juice" (I think) that I was blown away by. Everybody in the band was going wild and the riffs were just cool. At one point, they made their guitars sound like an orchestra with violin tones. Mega cool.

Let me add that the all three guitar gods (who, ridiculously enough, were ignored in Rolling Stone's evil top 100 guitarist list) do an awesome cover jam... three songs. I think the clash of styles from each guitarist is so apparent yet they were able to make it work. Like I said, my guitar knowledge is rudimentary, but its cool to here the differences in style with these beginner's ears.

Malmsteen wanks on the guitar a lot... LOL.. juxtaposed with Vai and Satriani's minimalist moments, it is just plain interesting stuff. Seriously, showmanship on that DVD isn't really real live pyrotechnics, but instead of the technical kind, as well as the emotional in relationship to guitar playing.

Last edited:
You've done your research if you want to buy "Passion and Warfare" - that's the album he's most known for. I do recommend it and with Vai watch out for his Track 7's (whence his best of CD titled "The 7th Song").

Hope you like it. I am personally a huge fan...www.vai.com hehehe

Cheers

I don't really like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen simply because people shit themselves so much over them. I see 12 and 13 year old kids that lock themselves in their rooms for 16 hours a day and play scales as fast as they can simply because that's how Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen can play hella-fast. They totally sacrifice any kind of social life simply so they can play fast, and end up getting bored or not going places with their careers and then have wasted their teenage years. All cause Steve and Yngwie said it was cool.

I also don't think that they're all they're cracked up to be, along with some other guitarists *coughEddieVanHalencough* out there, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Gimme a super-versatile Dave Gilmour or Eric Clapton any day over these guys. :up:

LOL... maybe some of those guys also end up being great session guitarists are. Maybe these guys also get the sense of accomplishment from being able to play Eruption. IF a guy or gal wants to practice 16 hours a day, more power to them b/c to practice that much usually means they love what they do. Tom Morello practiced 8-10 hrs a day and look where he's at.

Like I said, I 'm not a big fan of shredding, but I appreciate it and its pretty dang fun to watch and listen to. Sure, sometimes it is overkill to be focused on speed sometimes. Sometimes, I think of Malmsteen solos sounding like me taking a piss in a toilet but he has some cool moments too. Its b/c of G3, I went out and bought a Rising Force album by Malmsteen.

Actually guys like Satriani, Johnson, Vai, etc... though known for speed are super versatile if you listen to their music. Its hard to hear b/c they do guitar "instrumentals" but its there...

Like I said... Musically... the most enjoyable music actually came from Joe Satriani...

"Starry Nights" wasn't shred rock but sounded pretty poppish and maybe bluesish. Definitely catchy instrumental. The Extremist was also a great song. I am defintely interested in buying more Satriani albums from this show. Satch Boogie which I wasn't really hot on, came off so much better to me than his studio album version for some reason.... LOL

I have Surfing with the Alian and I liked a couple of tracks but the production always bothered me... but this G3 show really wowed me to start wanting to buy stuff from these guys...

I'll try to look into Vai some more BrownEyedBoy... but Satriani did make good impression on me so Stach comes first LOL... I bought Malmsteen for fun and b/c it was cheap, but Vai will be definte in the future. Man there are so many CDs I feel like buying now.

One performance, I thought was cool from Vai was when he performed at the Grammys with Nelly Furtado. I'm not a fan of the "I'm Like a Bird Song" but Vai sounded cool playing along with Furtado....

Back
Top Bottom