Anyone been to Maui/live in Maui? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Anyone been to Maui/live in Maui?

I know this is a ways out, but we are starting to plan our 10 year anniversary trip to Maui for January 2009. We are trying to decide what activities are best for the money and any restaurants that shouldn't be missed.

I've done some perusing over at tripadvisor.com and have the Maui Revealed book, but seeing if anyone else has been there recently for any words of advice....

Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:23 AM
I've been there 4 times. Don't miss Mama's Fish House. There's TONS to do there, so take in as much as you possibly can. I'd skip the Sugar Cane Train ride-it's expensive and really more for kids than anything else. If you play golf, it's really expensive to play at Kaanapali. Some of the hotels at the beach there have some great lobbies with animals, entertainment that's free though. We did the submarine ride and helicopter ride that were fun. Also, I'd recommend the bike ride from Mt Haleakala--a van will take you up there before the buttcrack of dawn, see the sunset then ride down stopping for breakfast along the way. Great fun. The drive to the 7 sacred pools is long and winding but worth it especially if you decide to stay overnight on that side of the island. horseback riding on the beach is a must do. Stay outside of Kaanapali and be forewarned that traffic along that stretch of the road is REALLY crowded. Try some pineapple wine at Tedeschi Vineyards (on the road to Haleakala). I think there's other fun stuff like ATV'ing and Zip line there since our last trip. Scuba if you're certified, and definitely do some snorkeling. There's lots of snorkeling outings, but I think the half day to Molikini is the most popular and worth it. Catamaran sails are fun especially at sunset. Don't forget to catch the sunset each night, no two are alike. And spend some time lazing at the beach or by the side of the pool relaxing. Check with your hotel to see what kind of crafts or activities they offer, especially beach activities like surf lessons, snorkeling, etc. Lastly, if you've never been to a Hawaiian luau then definitely do that while you are there. Have a blast, Aloha!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Hotels with animals?!?

We definitely want to do horseback riding, ziplines sound like fun, and I might be brave enough to try snorkeling. I'm about the palest you can be without being albino so I'm a little worried about the sun

Pineapple wine
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Pineapple wine
I was going to say the same thing
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Hotels with animals?!?

We definitely want to do horseback riding, ziplines sound like fun, and I might be brave enough to try snorkeling. I'm about the palest you can be without being albino so I'm a little worried about the sun

Pineapple wine

pineapple wine has a unique taste all its own but don't knock it till you try it. Definitely try snorkeling! If you are worried about the sun, don't be....wear an old t-shirt when in the water and invest in some BULL FROG This is a great sun blocking agent that surfers use. We used it in Tahiti because I am fair skinned and burn easily and it worked great. It stays on pretty good too so slather it on and no worries, just enjoy. It would be a shame to go all that way and not experience the beautiful reefs and underwater world of the Hawaiian Islands.

ETA: I believe it was the Hyatt Kaanapali that had quite an extensive collection of birds, penguins and animals in its lobby and around the grounds and I remember it was free to just wander through. It was really beautiful and we even stopped to have a drink while there. Chi chis
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose

Are you laughing at Chi chis, Doozer?

It's a yummy drink
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Cool! I'll be paying attention to this thread since I'm going to Maui in August.

Keep it coming, guys and gals!