Anyone Been To Ground Zero?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
I'm just curious. My friends and I are planning a trip to NY and debating over to go or not.

I've been there. But it wasn't to go to ground zero.

If you think that going there is going to give you some sort of peace or that its to go and think of what we loss, then go.

If you're going to gawk and brag to your friends back home by saying, "Look at me! I've been to ground zero", then I wouldn't go.

CK

Originally posted by Krasno The Great:
If you're going to gawk and brag to your friends back home by saying, "Look at me! I've been to ground zero", then I wouldn't go.

CK

From what I know about oliveu2cm from this board, I'd have to say that this is a definate no, for why she may or may not want to go to ground zero.
Would anyone? I mean, come on. That's just sick.
If you go, you go to pay your respects, but for many, even that may be just too hard. Not too sure I could handle it.

Originally posted by Angel:
From what I know about oliveu2cm from this board, I'd have to say that this is a definate no, for why she may or may not want to go to ground zero.
Would anyone? I mean, come on. That's just sick.
If you go, you go to pay your respects, but for many, even that may be just too hard. Not too sure I could handle it.

thanks angel...

yeah this thread was started b/c i was wondering how other people handled it? I didn't know if it would be too hard to see something like that.. on the other hand I would like to pay respects and "support" in a way, if that makes sense.

My mom went to Ground Zero back in December. I really wanted to go and see it. I wanted to see the magnitude that cannot be expressed through a picture. I don't believe I could handle it. I watched an interesting show about it tonight on pbs and I started crying. I tried to explain what I went through on Sept 11th to Ella, I cried writing it in an email. I know that I'm not healed yet, I'm not sure if I'm alone there or what, but one thing I now realize is that going to Ground Zero wouldn't help me much right now. The conflicts I have with September 11th are internal, and an odyssey to the origin would not decrease the uncertainty that has been haunting me since I first saw the first flame in the first building.

Nope, but I was at the crash site in PA over Thanksgiving...it's right off my great aunt's property. It was really, really eerie...especially since I've been to her farm so many times and it's in a remote area, and now there's a huge memorial and there were tons of people there...it's very sad...but it's good to pay your respects to those who died.

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 05-02-2002).]

Lilly I am sort of with you.... I can't even watch those memorials on TV b/c it's *too* much for me. :/ Ground Zero.. I don't know, I didn't know if it would be healing or not.

thanks for everyone's opinions.

I live in NY and I was debating whether to go but I chose not to.
The train I take to school goes through the Manhattan Bridge and outside you could see the broken windows of some of the buildings. Just seeing this and the empty space in the skyline of where the towers once stood and thinking of the thousands of people who lost their lives makes me get emotional. I don't think I could handle going there just yet.

i work 4 blocks from the WTC. i went to Ground Zero two weeks after Sept. 11th, when there was still a lot of debris everywhere. and you know what? it didn't bring any closure, or make it seem any more "real". i don't know what i was expecting by going there, but....
frown.gif

olive, whether you decide to go or not is a personal decision. however, just to let you know, there's really just *nothing* there. it's just a big empty space- it basically looks like a construction site.

i still don't think i've recovered from the events of Sept. 11th... i think about it every day, since when i look out the window at work, the towers are no longer there. *sigh*

I knew Ally would be here...

I also work right here (1.5 blocks from the site.)

To be honest with you, here is what I have found of late. Every year when it gets warm, thousands of tourists come to the area to see the Stock Exchange, which is understandable. Now I find myself giving directions EVERY DAY to people with NYC maps in their hands looking for "where the World Trade Center was, and oh yeah - the stock exchange."

I am an architect and to tell you that the site simply looks like a construction site is an understatement. It really is just a big hole in the ground, and there is no debris left to be seen if that is what people are after.

I understand the paying respects aspect, but again, there really is nothing there.

I may sound bitter, but it has now been 7 months of tourists coming to the city to take pictures of where people died. It all seems a bit distasteful. I went to the "viewing platform" one night alone to see what kind of progress was made on the site and after a peaceful thought-provoking time spent there, some teenager screamed out "well, that was nothing - I've seen better..."

I almost knocked the kid out in front of his camera-toting parents.

My point is this, if you know someone who was lost there, I would definitely go if closure would help by seeing the site. If not, you may want to visit some of the better sights in New York (of which there are millions) as there is nothing left of the World Trade Center, and as a matter of fact new construction will proceed shortly.

I really do not mean to sound like a bastard, but when I see tourists and ask where they are going and I hear all kinds of nice sights, then they say the World Trade Center like it is some kind of amusement park I get a bit edgy.

I would not make the trip to NYC just to see the site, but if you do decide to come - I hope you enjoy our beautiful city. She may be down, but she sure as hell is not out...

Originally posted by ouizy:
I would not make the trip to NYC just to see the site, but if you do decide to come - I hope you enjoy our beautiful city. She may be down, but she sure as hell is not out...

Great post.

I visited in December. I am originally from the area - and to be honest with you, there wasn't much to see. It just felt good to be in the city (other parts, not so much the Bowery and Financial District). New York has a wonderful and unique energy - visit NYC for that, not for WTC.

I just went to NYC in April. I wasn't sure that I wanted to go to Ground Zero, but the people I went with did. So we went. We went at night to see the lights. I really wasn't prepared for how emotional it did make me. Seeing the spot where so many people died that was now just nothingness, seeing all the tributes from around the world...it just choked me up. I'm glad got to see the lights, but I wouldn't have felt I missed anything by not going.

------------------
We're here for a good time not a long time.
--Bill Huber

Since about December there has not been that much on TV about Ground Zero here in the UK, I was wondering what they are planning to do with the site? Are they planning some kind of memorial to all those that died?

I dont know if its the same in the US but here we are bombarded with news about a particular event for a period of time and then it suddenly stops and you are left wondering what happened next, such as that plane that crashed in the suberbs of New York not long after sept 11, Did they find out exactly why it crashed?

maybe I just need to check the news more....

I wansn't even going to go near the place, until October 28, 2001 when I saw U2 perform in New Jersey. They had just visited themselves the same day and when the names were scrolled up the screens during One I knew I was going to have to go and pay my respects. So instead of leaving the next morning we went into NYC and visited. I can truly say that seeing what I saw has changed my outlook on life greatly. I know that sounds cliche and Im using very few words to describe the emotions that swept thru me but they are and remain as real to me as if I had lived in NY, and will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Peace on earth, indeed.

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

Originally posted by Ace Rimmer:
Since about December there has not been that much on TV about Ground Zero here in the UK, I was wondering what they are planning to do with the site? Are they planning some kind of memorial to all those that died?

I dont know if its the same in the US but here we are bombarded with news about a particular event for a period of time and then it suddenly stops and you are left wondering what happened next, such as that plane that crashed in the suberbs of New York not long after sept 11, Did they find out exactly why it crashed?

maybe I just need to check the news more....

they're not sure what they're going to do with the site just yet. the clean up is still going on, and probably will be for a while. they're going to have to use the land for office space, because it's too valuable to leave open. however, i am sure that there will be a memorial to those who lost their lives, as well as to the towers themselves.

the plane crash that happend on Long Island about 2 months after sept. 11th was mechanical failure of some sort- they think the tail was ripped off by turbulence from another aircraft (ie, the 2 planes took off too close together, and the one in the wake had a lot of turbulence).

and yes, the US media is exactly the same as you described...

Back
Top Bottom