Anyone been to Brunei? (Long shot!! :))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
I have no idea if this is the right area, but anyhow...

I'm spending two nights in Bandar Seri Begawan in mid-January, and wonder if in fact there is anything to do there apart from shop and pleasure the Mrs? Basically she wants to shop till she maxes every bit of plastic I have - and I'd rather see some sights.

So any ideas? Quite the longshot - but surely there is one or two Malaysian U2 fans in here who may have a suggestion or two??

I've never been to Brunei. Sarawak's great, though :eek:

In any case, they have great beaches along that coast, so scuba diving might be a good idea.

foray

Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Water taxi ride around Kampong Ayer (water village)
Be careful not to get ripped off - no more than $12 to $15 for half hour ride. When you get off head to Fratini's on the waterfront for a cold drink or for dinner upstairs.

2. Boat ride to Temburong
Ask local or expat for directions along water front or organise a tour through the local Information Centre (they have a few interesting tours but can be expensive) next to the Post Office

3. Catch a bus from the bus station and check out the surrounding areas. Usually $1 and make sure you back before they stop at 6pm (taxis are expensive)

4. Check out the Empire Hotel and have some "High Tea". You may be able to hitch a ride out there or catch a bus - dress appropriately

5. Check out the Mosque in Kiarong - bus ride

As to dress recommendations, as an individual you can wear whatever you want, however, as a responsible traveller it is well worth considering local custom as it can make for a lot easier trip and more interaction with the local community. Rule of thumb for Brunei is that tshirts and knee length clothing is fine. They don't look too well at bellys, bums or bits! If you are coming through customs/immigration, going to museums or mosques, then conservative dress will get you a long way - sleeves at least 3/4 length and long pants.

also, check this link:

http://www.brunei.gov.bn/about_brunei/tourism.htm

thatsnotmypuppy said:
I have no idea if this is the right area, but anyhow...

i think your post probably fits better in lemonade stand so i've moved it there. i think you'll probably get more responses in lemonade stand anyway. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom