Anybody own a kayak? I want to get one but don't know what type....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So, I really want to get into kayaking. I imagine myself doing it both as exercise (i.e., going out for an hour in the morning a few days a week for a workout), and for tooling around in now and then. If I put an emphasis on the working out aspect, my guess is I should get a touring kayak instead of just a recreational one. Is that right? Any kayakers here?

I wish. My ex took me kayaking before he sold his kayaks the other summer. I loved it. :love: Sadly he didn't have room for his kayaks to store them anymore. He had a long touring one which he used on the the canals and lakes in the lake District in England and a smaller touring one.

From what i remember the touring ones are longer in length and they often have hatches for storage, the recreational ones tend to be a bit smaller i think, it is a few years though so i might be wrong. :wink:

The best thing to do is find somewhere local to you that is a kayaking club or shop, so you can maybe try a few out for yourself and find out which you prefer. :yes:

I actually want to get into Kayaking but need to pass my driving test first so i can drive to places to use the kayak. :)

Yeah, the touring ones are longer, and I think most of them have a middle-of-the-road amount of V-shape on the bottom, giving you average maneuverability. I think the recreational ones are more for fishing and tooling about. You're right--my best bet is probably just to go to a place and ask a ton of questions there, and then try a few out.

Good luck with the driving test---definitely a good one to pass! :wink:

I would recommend a sit-on-top.

Try Ocean Kayaks for some nice single ones. If possible, you should try to rent one before you commit to a purchase, see how you like it first.

I own a seventeen-foot Coleman canoe, which I prefer for longer outings because paddling alone can be hard work :wink:

Utoo said:
Yeah, the touring ones are longer, and I think most of them have a middle-of-the-road amount of V-shape on the bottom, giving you average maneuverability. I think the recreational ones are more for fishing and tooling about. You're right--my best bet is probably just to go to a place and ask a ton of questions there, and then try a few out.

When i get one i'm gonna go to a Kayaking club and try loads out, i loved my exes kayak, but it might be a bit heavy for me to load on a car by myself. :lol: I liked to touring ones as you can takea picnic and go paddle and have a bit of a rest and eat then carry on. :wink:

Good luck with the driving test---definitely a good one to pass! :wink:

Thanks. I'm hoping i can put in for it soon. :)

If you get one post a pic. ;)

beegee said:

I own a seventeen-foot Coleman canoe, which I prefer for longer outings because paddling alone can be hard work :wink:

:lol:

I don't mind paddling myself. It was fun paddling next to each other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom