Anybody listen to Jeff Buckley???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UCLAforU2

The Fly
After seeing a couple people respond with some songs of his on the stuck in your head thread, I just wanted to see how many here are fans of Jeff Buckley.

I mean, GOOD GOD, CAN GRACE POSSIBLY BE A BETTER ALBUM???

(to those whove never listened to Jeff Buckly, do yourself a huge favor and pick up Grace)

Such a great talent.

Your thoughts??

One Buckley fan checking in
smile.gif

And yes, there is a way Grace could be better: get rid of So Real (sorry, just don't like that song at all). But other than that it's an amazing album, and I can really relate to a lot of the lyrics write now. Plus he's got that incredible voice.

Imagine what music he could've created had he not died - Grace was his debut!

JB, God rest his soul, was probably the best songwriter of the 1990's. In addition to grace I STRONGLY suggest you listen to live at the Olympia!

Also, these B-sides and unreleased are musts:

Forget Her - Was gonna be on Grace in place of So Real. I think I like it better actually. He didn't put it on because it was to personal, I think.

Satisfied Mind - This one is on sketches and what an amazing song it is. They played it at his funeral and what a fitting song it is!! I hope By the time I die I will be able to have it played at mine, right now trhe lyrics don't apply.

Everybody Here Wants You - Nice b-side, very smooth.

------------------
"Here it is, revenge to the tune;
your no good.
your no good, your no good, your no good
Can't you tell, it's well understood?"
Elliott Smith - Waltz#2

I love Jeff Buckley! (or rather his music, but he was one cool guy as well...)
Grace is a fantastic album, Lover, you should've come over is one of my favourite songs of all time!
I love the live cds too, I never got to see him live unfortunately, and I have the Chicago video too. Jeff was a great talent and is sorely missed by his fans.
Another song thats really amazing, and one only on the live cd(s), (or is it on SFMSTD?) is What Will You Say.
So no, dont listen to him much
wink.gif

------------------
?*~darkcloud~*?

Jeff Buckley...one of the greatest talents that will never be totally realized. Yes, he was an amazing vocalist and musician, and the world lost much when he died so young.
frown.gif

I'm also a fan. I only have Grace, though. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" is my favourite song from the album. I kind of played part of it on guitar last night! Well, I played the first two notes. It went downhill from there.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge

I'm a big Buckley fan... Grace is in my top five for favorite albums!! Anyone here read Dream Brother Yet?

------------------
Holy Jesus, Holy rock and roll...

'A pearl in an ocean of noise', is how I believe Bono once described the man.

Buckley's rendition of Hallelujah is simply chill-inducing.

But check out some of the rough cuts on the 'Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk' double CD. It's a bit patchy, but a few (including 'I know we could be so happy baby, if we wanted to be') are wonderful.

------------------
You know some songs sound like ones by Frank Sinatra
But there's no place like... NOO YAWK

Huge fan here.
I actually had a ticket to see him live here in Sydney and couldn't go on the night because I got sick and was home in bed
frown.gif

I truly believe he would have been one of the greatest talents ever.
I've said it before but if you guys are big fans, and you aren't fans of his dad, you should definitely check him out.
Tim Buckley had just as much talent as his son and produced some beautiful songs.
Blue Melody is a fave of mine.

Jeff is known for his melodic soothing songs but I love when he totally goes off and plays really hard. He does so in the live shows and its incredible!
he wasn't bad to look at either
smile.gif

While I can only take Jeff Buckley's singing in small doses, I agree that he was a tremendous talent, and his death was a tragic loss for music. "Hallelujah" is simply one of the most moving songs I've ever heard.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Jeff is known for his melodic soothing songs but I love when he totally goes off and plays really hard. He does so in the live shows and its incredible!

I agree, altho i think on some stuff he coulda been accused of showing off his um 'instrument' which is the only way u could describe his voice at times, kinda like thom yorke in that sense...

ill have to look into tim

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 02-22-2002).]

The final verse of "Forget Her" is positively chilling.

My tears falling over as I try to forget
Her love was a joke from the day that we met
All of her words, all of the men
All of my pain when I think back to when
Remember her hair as it shone in the sun
The smell on the bed when I knew what she'd done
Tell yourself over and over you won't ever need her again...

"Jewel Box" from Sketches is one of the most beautiful love songs of the '90s.

Other B-sides worth checking out:

"Mama You've Been On My Mind" and "Farewell Angelina" (Dylan covers)
"Thousandfold" (very rare)
"Please Send Me Someone to Love"

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Bono's version of Hallelujah did suck. Embarrassing for such a great song done by someone so talented.

I love Grace. Dream Brother must be one of my favourite songs ever. It makes me go all cold and still. And the title track, and Last Goodbye...

So should I get Sketches? I understand his band was not happy about it being released because he had decided not to make it into his next album. Also, I looked at the lyrics and found some of them pretty disturbing. So I haven't got it yet.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Sketches does cover a lot of odd material, for example the Nusrat Fateh Ali-Khan flavored "New Year's Prayer." And I guess some people might be put off by some of the songs like "Gunshot Glitter," but the overall feeling of Sketches is very intense, very spare, very deeeeeeeep lyrics. Like the Very Best Of Bono Times Seven at points.

Damn, what a waste.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Back
Top Bottom