Anybody know anything about VCDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was thinking about getting one...but the thing is it's a semi-rare movie and the only kind of VCD I've seen for it is from some other country (don't know what country, but the whole website was in a different language...). Any good sites that sell lots of VCDs out there?

wertsie said:
I was thinking about getting one...but the thing is it's a semi-rare movie and the only kind of VCD I've seen for it is from some other country (don't know what country, but the whole website was in a different language...). Any good sites that sell lots of VCDs out there?

Yes... I know about VCD's. I've even made some. :yes:

First, make sure you have a DVD system/player that will play the VCD. Almost all DVD-ROM drives on computers will play VCD's and many DVD players will as well, but not all.

I have never come across a VCD that shows extra footage (common on DVD's). so don't expect more than just the movie. Most VCD's and are usually broken into two parts. That is, the first hour of the movie is on one VCD, the second hour is on another VCD. So be prepared to change disks during the film.

The quality is about as good as a VHS. Of course, many VCD's are made by coverting the analog VHS tape to a digitized format and then burning that to VCD. Therefore, chances are you will just have a disk version of a VHS tape. If the tape was good, the VCD's should be good as well.

If someone downloaded a movie and converted that to VCD, then it's a tough call as to how good the quality will be. These days, one can download freshly released films and burn them to VCD or DVD. However, these films are not copies of a VHS tape, but rather of a projected image in an actual theater. So you have audience noise, sometimes wobbly camera work and even people getting up in front of the camera. Plus, recording a big screen usually does not result in a great image. Once in a while, the sound is off from the image (this can happen during the taping or in the transcoding of the recorded image to a VCD format). These VCD's are great if you want to watch a great new movie in your house without having to shell out $10 again and again to see it in the theater. But ultimately, they are no comparison to the VHS or DVD release.

However, from what you wrote, it sounds like you want a VCD of an older film. Therefore, I recommend you take a chance. Just don't spend too much for it. Try to keep it under $25 (usually WELL under). If you've searched for this film for years, perhaps splurging ($25) is fine. Otherwise, you shouldn't pay much more than $10 for the VCD's.

To find places that sell VCD's, just do a search. They are everywhere.

The movie I want was released in 1991. It's a little-known River Phoenix/Lili Taylor flick called "Dogfight." I'll keep searching. :happy:

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and I have a question...how did you make your VCD?

KRISTIE

You should PM Kristie.....she's the queen of making and posting stuff from VCD's......She'll be able to help you out for sure! :)

Re: KRISTIE

Ali Rose said:
You should PM Kristie.....she's the queen of making and posting stuff from VCD's......She'll be able to help you out for sure! :)

Oooh...Okay, I will. Thanks!

Wertsie,

I have made tons of VCDs, they aren't hard to make. I have all the latest movie releases, so I just burn them and watch them for free.

Like Dr.who said, if you are going to buy a vcd, make sure you have a dvd player that supports it, unless you don't mind watching it on your computer.

As for your movie, I have found a few places you can order the vhs:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1262137&cart=125572713&style=movie

http://www.buyindies.com/listings/1/2/FCTS-12827.html

http://rottentomatoes.pricegrabber.com/search_videos2.php/form_movieid=1036458/ut=44212c0d483ae932

good luck with getting it
Brian

Bri2k said:
Wertsie,

I have made tons of VCDs, they aren't hard to make. I have all the latest movie releases, so I just burn them and watch them for free.

Like Dr.who said, if you are going to buy a vcd, make sure you have a dvd player that supports it, unless you don't mind watching it on your computer.

As for your movie, I have found a few places you can order the vhs:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1262137&cart=125572713&style=movie

http://www.buyindies.com/listings/1/2/FCTS-12827.html

http://rottentomatoes.pricegrabber.com/search_videos2.php/form_movieid=1036458/ut=44212c0d483ae932

good luck with getting it
Brian

:happy: Thanks a lot for your help, Brian. See, I have the VHS, and it's one of my favorite movies...Unfortunately, it is not yet available on DVD, so I was hoping to either burn it onto a VCD myself or else buy one.

Re: KRISTIE

Ali Rose said:

well now I wouldn't go THAT far...
and I notice this after I reply to wertsie's PM ;)

i'm the proud owner of 10 kristie vcds....and just so y'all know, my dvd player is bottom of the line....only cost about $75, and it plays vcds just fine.

:heart: you kristie! :happy:

Werstie,

I apologize for my stupidity, but why would you want it on vcd if you have it on VHS? It doesn't appear that that movie is out on dvd, so a vcd most likely came from the vhs source unless someone cam'd it themselves. Either way, you will not get a better source than the vhs. And while vcds are nice, most of them don't have menus or any of the nice features that a real dvd has.
So I don't get it, do you just want to watch it on a dvd player or do you not have a vcr anymore?

Brian

Bri2k said:
Werstie,

I apologize for my stupidity, but why would you want it on vcd if you have it on VHS? It doesn't appear that that movie is out on dvd, so a vcd most likely came from the vhs source unless someone cam'd it themselves. Either way, you will not get a better source than the vhs. And while vcds are nice, most of them don't have menus or any of the nice features that a real dvd has.
So I don't get it, do you just want to watch it on a dvd player or do you not have a vcr anymore?

Brian

Well, CDs last longer, for one thing...I've watched the VHS lots and they tend to wear out. Also, it would be cool to be able to watch it on my computer.

:lol: They have one at this online store in Indonesia but they are out of stock!

Back
Top Bottom