Any vets around? I Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
A few weeks ago, Angus our 10 year old (approx) Cocker was sitting on the rug watching tv with us and when I got up to go into the kitchen I noticed he didn't move a muscle. usually, he follows me everywhere, and so it got me curious. I knelt down and talked to him but he still wouldn't move. It was like he was a statue. He was drooling quite severely and also had tremors and slightly laboured breathing. It got a bit worse, so I tried to get him to lay down but he clearly didn't want to move. He wouldn't respond to sound or me waving my hand on front of his eyes. He had no reaction to anything. Finally we got him to lay, and put an old towel under him and for about 20 minutes just sat with him trying to get him to respond. After a few more minutes, he looked up and tried to drag himself to his feet. It was like he'd just woken up. He staggered for a bit, his entire backend seemed paralyzed. A couple more minutes passed and he recovered virtually back to his usual self. It was quite weird. He got over his trance as quick as it had come on.
We decided not to do anything and wait it out, if it happened again, we'd get him to a vet.

Fast forward to yesterday, we were going out and I put him out the back and was locking up the windows when he suddenly yelped out in pain. It sounded like something was attacking him. He was crying out for a couple of seconds and there was nothing in the yard when I got out there, but he was half dragging himself along the patio to the door. Like before, he righted himself and limped indoors, struggling to get up the single step to inside. He favoured one leg, but apart from that, again seemed fairly ok. Since then, he has seemed a little slower and overall cautious when he walks. Its hard to say how much, if any pain he is in. He still has trouble with the step out the back and really gets confused trying to get inside.
The whole thing is really weird, and I dont even know if the 2 incidents are related, but I'd assume so. I'm kinda guessing its his liver or kidneys packing it in, but has anyone got any advice or an idea of what it might be exactly?

That first incident sounds like he had a stroke or a seizure.

The pain in the hind quarters sounds like it may be hip displasia (sp?) or arthritis.

Have you given him any Ibuprohen (advil, I can't spell for shit today heh)?

I say get him to a vet ASAP

:hug: :sad: I hope he gets better.

:sad:

When my last dog was about that age, she got arthritis and had a hard time climbing stairs and kind of dragged her back legs.

Anyway, I hope Angus gets better. :hug::heart:

I'm not a vet but I work in an animal hospital. I agree, the first episode sounds like a seizure. Regardless, I think you should get him in to see a vet ASAP. Many animals get arthritis as they get older but if you're going to give him anything make sure it's aspirin only. No Tylenol, no Ibuprofen - and I would talk to a vet before you even give him aspirin.

I hope everything works out okay. Please keep us updated!!

bonosloveslave where are you?!

Hi, I'm here! :wave:

I agree, sounds like the first episode was probably a seizure, the second probably was related but I'm not sure that was a seizure. At 10 years old there very well could be some sort of organ failure like liver or kidneys. With him sounding painful that second time, he could have something like clots lodging in his back leg(s), although if he has improved today then it would have broken up and moved on. It really would be best to have him examined by your vet with some kind of lab work-up to see if there is anything obvious.

Another possibility is an old age thing called cognitive dysfunction, where they start doing odd things like barking at things that aren't there, or biting at invisible flies, pacing, staring at the wall, things like that. This could be playing a part too, although at least over here the one drug we do have for it is kind of hit-and-miss for helping to control it.

Keep us posted :hug:

:scream: I was hoping you'd all say it wasn't a seizure :(
Thanks for the replies guys.
Thanks esp bls. Clots sound bad. There's the fear they can travel to the heart, yeah?

The vet mentioned congnitive dysfunction after she took his spleen out. She implied that after a bit, things will just start going downhill.

Bah.

I dont want to take him. It wont be good news.
:sad:

Thanks again, lovelies.

bonosloveslave said:
Another possibility is an old age thing called cognitive dysfunction, where they start doing odd things like barking at things that aren't there, or biting at invisible flies, pacing, staring at the wall, things like that.
That's what happened to my dog. :(

Thanks everyone, you're all so kind :hug:

I got him to the vet this evening. She thinks its a slipped disc, which is causing his unstable walking and his sudden yelping as it moves and believes the first incident was possibly the same injury and it might have been something similar to a person who is in shock from severe pain. He's getting x-rays tomorrow to make sure there is no fracture in his lumbar spine and no tumour. So this explains the temporary paralysis he gets as his spinal cord is probably being pressed down on by this disc. So all being well, he wont need any surgery if there's no tumour. She's also taking some blood as he has a really bad ear infection and cataracts are developing so she's going to make sure his major organs are still going ok. My poor boy is falling apart at the seams :(
At least he will likely be ok with lots of rest and minimal procedure. He's on a Cortisone IV and should be feeling a lot better by tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone :hug:

Last edited:
Yep, a slipped disc would fit.....hope that's all it is and he's feeling more comfortable on the steroids. Praying for clean X-rays and bloodwork :hug:

thanks bls :hug: It was good to hear your advice, its nice having a resident vet around here! I'm surprised at the disc thing though, I'd like to think I remember him hurting himself...:huh:

Actually with the slipped discs there often is no history of any kind of trauma, and because it's up near the spinal cord they can have odd reactions to it. You're a good mom and it sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing :hug:

Back
Top Bottom