Any Vegetarians here? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Any Vegetarians here?

Any vegetarians out there that want to share some of their favorite meals? I'm getting bored with the few things that I do eat. I eat dairy and eggs, just not meat of any kind.

I've been a vegetarian basically my entire life. I never liked eating meat. I haven't had any since I was 14 (15 years ago ) and I'm just tired of what I make everyday, which is usually something with red peppers or cheese. I feel like lately all I eat is peanut butter and jelly because I can't find anything else.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I'm seriously thinking about giving up red meat. I hardly ever eat it anyway.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Try Italian sans meat>

eggs are great protein but too high in cholesterol..you get an equivalent of a total meat protein by combining a soy (like tofu) and a wheat product together.

You can make any soup base yummy with the vegetarian vegetable soup stock near the boullion or cook your own up in the oven until browned in a roaster (with cabbage, carrots, garlic, onions, and peppers) either send through a juiceman or blender for stock..tastes similar to french onion soup.

Or try a Sauce:
Olive oil
Diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
(you can use canned which is inexpensive or fresh tomatoes)
green pepper
onion
minced garlic
basil
oregano
(I am kind of a dump cook and spice to taste too..don't overdo salt as cheese can be really high in sodium!)

These you can either simmer low on the cooktop or toss in a crockpot for a few hours to make a multitude of dishes.

for a different taste sensation put in a teaspoon of cinnamon a little brown sugar or mollasses and rasins and simmer and toss with pasta. Snow the top with parmesian cheese.

You can alternate layers of lasagna noodles with: romano cheese (or cottage cheese mixed with 1/4 cup of parmesian), mozzarella, provolone and fresh vegies or artichoke hearts (or both) and bake for 30-45 minutes on 325.

Serve it with my fav!
top 4 heads of garlic and set into a low pan of water, bake until roasted a golden brown and squeeze the cloves of garlic out into a blender with 1/4 cup olive oil and a stick of butter and refrigerate to make a great garlic butter topper for french bread...or any toast you have in the next few days
Old 06-06-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 PM
how live without meat? I'm a meat addict
Old 06-07-2003, 12:21 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have only been a vegetarian for two years, but here are a few of the things that I like to eat.

bean burritos
Morningstar fake buffalo wings, corn dogs, etc.
beans and rice
pasta (with just some olive oil and spices)
vegetarian chili (I've got a good recipe if you want it)
cheese or veggie pizza
vegetarian soups
deli style sandwiches with muenster or provolone cheese, mayonnaise, dill mustard, and lettuce
nachos!
cheese quesadillas
baked potatoes
various veggie casseroles, when I'm in the mood to cook

I'm sure there are other things, like junk food (cookies, pop-tarts, cereal, etc.), but that's what I could think of off the top of my head.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I have only been a vegetarian for two years, but here are a few of the things that I like to eat.

Morningstar fake buffalo wings, corn dogs, etc.
I refuse to eat anything that is supposed to taste like meat. It just seems creepy to me.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I do eat a lot of the same stuff listed here. I guess I'm just looking for some different stuff to make for dinner.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #8
Acrobat

lol...

I won't add my no fail rare herb crusted rib roast recipe with slivered garlic and .......(not a lactoovovegan)..meat should taste but not quite moo, but my brother and his wife are vetarians.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:02 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

I refuse to eat anything that is supposed to taste like meat. It just seems creepy to me.
I've had several vegetarians say that to me. Then again, I know quite a few people who like the fake stuff or who ask me about it because they'd like to be a vegetarian but are afraid they'll miss the meat component of their diets. I don't mind eating the fake meat stuff because it tastes good to me (without that dead animal funk to it) and it's a good source of protein. I can also convince my husband to eat the fake meat--that way, he eats a healthier diet than if he just ate real meat all the time. The fake stuff isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:16 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Fake meat My uncle's girlfriend, who's also a vegetarian, doesn't like fake meat either. She says it grosses her out.

I've been a vegetarian my whole life. I eat a lot of fake meat, but lately, I've cut a lot of it out of my diet, but not on purpose. I eat pretty much the same stuff as HeartlandGirl.

This is going to sound strange, but buy nutritional yeast -- not brewer's yeast -- and stir a few spoonfuls in spaghetti, or let it melt on the top. It's REALLY yummy and can also be used on pizza, like cheese. And it's good for you.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:30 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I'm vegetarian. I usually eat stuff made from Quorn, which isn't actually fake meat because it's not designed to taste like meat, it's just to be used in dishes that you'd usually cook with meat. I like making stir fry with quorn pieces in, or spaghetti with sauce made with quorn pieces.

Yay for vegetarians.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I was a vegetarian, a good one, for about 15 years. When I say a good one, I mean I wasn't a vegetarian who just ate pasta everyday. I ate lots and lots of vegetables, beans, grains, tofu, etc. I just had a hair analysis done (to test trace minerals, proteins, etc) and a ton of bloodwork and I am seriously deficient in lots of things (B12 levels are practically nonexistent), stuff that's okay when you're younger but as you get older you start experiencing health difficulties. Right now I'm having joint problems that I should not be having at my age.

Anyway, my nutritionist says this is typical for someone who's been on a long-term vegetarian diet and so I'm back on fish, fish oil capsules, and a ton of other stuff. I have to get B12 injections now!!! I am now convinced that a strict vegetarian diet is not a healthy one, but most people eat too much meat. Balance is everything. If I could get chicken or turkey down my throat, I'd eat it but it's been too long and the two times I've tried to eat it in the last 2 years I've spit it out.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:45 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 AM
I'm a vegetarian too!!

And my diet is exactly like HeartlandGirl's.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I find most Indian food is great for infusing taste and variety into a veggie diet.

If you can find a good Indian cookbook from the library or something you'll find there are countless possibilities.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:45 AM
pasta. i'm a big fan of throwing either tofu (or fake ground beef, but i know you don't like that, arw) into a pot, along with a jar of spaghetti sauce, a can of stewed tomatos, a carton of mushrooms, and about 6 cloves of garlic. just gonna warn you, that's a lot of sauce...oh, and don't sautee the mushrooms first, they get all mushy and they tend to dissapear in the sauce once you throw them in...

my mom made this really good curry thing the other day, no meat there. really tasty stuff. i don't know if you ike curry. i guess that goes in with dorian gray's indian food reccommendation. let's see...it was rice, mushrooms, apples, and i think there was some yogurt, so it ends up kind of looking like a big yellow blobby thing, but it's goood. trust me.

don't fall into the summer bbq veggie burger trap...that happened to me about 4 or 5 years ago and i STILL can't look at a garden burger without shuddering...grilled veggies fucking rule...and grilled tofu...marinate the tofu in something (soy sauce, garlic-y stuff, anything you'd think tofu would be good marinated in), put it on skewers and grill it...it's good if you throw in some mushrooms too...cna you tell i like mushrooms?

oh man...portabello mushrooms! those things are the shiznit.
arw, do you eat fish? i'm not a huge fish fan, but grilled or broiled scallops are tasty... or you can melt some butter and add a load of garlic and put them in a pan and stick them in the oven (hey, that's what i had for dinner last night...fucking house smelled like fish for hours afterwards though, blech)

the thing about fake meat...i like a lot of kinds of fake meat, things that i never liked the real version of, i never liked chicken nuggets, but i eat fake ones fairly frequently, and same with fake sausages (provided that we actually have them in the freezer...) . i hated real sausage. it's just textured soy protien, so the concept doesn't really freak me out too much. although the fact that they mimic the fat in the fake bacon by having parts of the strips white and other parts pink kind of bugs me (it all has the same taste).