Any tips for the Horseys????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I am curious to know, I like to have a bit of a flutter on Melbourne Cup day and most years I have done quite well and I swear that one of my most favourite days out was in 99 when I wagged the day off uni to go to the local Sunshine Coast track with a bunch of girlfriends for the Melbourne Cup festivities- we were all very shabby by 6pm- all of us in pretty dresses and hats hugging bottles of Jacob's Creek chanpange- ahhhhh the memories:)

so what are ya picks?????

Last edited:
I tipped Ethereal last year but didn't put any money down, eeediot that i am. This year it seems Beekeeper is a smart tip.

little do ppl know but " whose gonna ride your wild horses" is about horse racing.

Henry!!!!

Did you happen to see "The Fat" last night Aurora? It was a bit of a pre-cup special...and hilarious.
The Godolphun stable has invested millions into winning this race. They showed a piece of footage from track training...the host of the show asked "can someone please explain this pony to me?"
it was so funny...it showed "henry" trotting along at Flemington. One of the Irish horses is very very highly strung and performs better with his stable mate nearby. Henry has been flown from Ireland at a a cost of $80 000. They asked
"will he get a flight back if his mate doesn't win or will he end up tethered in a backyard in Carlton? It was funny...dad used to take me to the local racetrack when I was little and I always headed for the stables...I loved the shetland stable mates and I have seen goats and sheep "required". Go Henry!! I have a feeling it is going to be a great day for the Irish.

I am off to a MC fund-raiser for the Leukemia Foundation. I have to get some kind of head decoration prepared in the next 3 hours..(some say a bag would suffice) There are some good prizes up for grabs.....it will be genteel, no piss ups.
I did that the year my friend tried to start a career as a milliner, the hat parade was over in and hour,so what to do? Well drink champagne till you fall over, what else...good idea!!!!NOT.

Anyway, you only asked for a tip.
Go Damien.....Damien Oliver is one of our top jockeys and his brither was killed in a fall from a horse just last week. He is the sentimental favourite. Our local boy Chris Munce brought home a winner recently. All the horses are so well prepared.
I would like to see Vinnie Roe, romp home. They have handicapped him to a point of cruelty(imho, it's a long race) No horse has won the race carrying that weight since Rainlover...maybe that is an omen.

Anyway, pick a winner. ( if I win the sweep I give the money back to the Foundation.....it's a good cause) and rememeber......bottle of water beside the bed....cool. clear water:yes: :wave:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This damn Melbourne Cup!!!

Every frigging year I lose money on this stupid race. Why do I bother again and again? For the last few days I was thinking, even though he's a long shot, Mr Prudent needs a bet. I think the name is pretty cool, which is the pre requisite for all my bets, lol. Last minute I put a trifecta on Beekeeper, Media Puzzle and some other nag. Vinnie Roe or something. I had a few boxed trifectas and a couple of one dollar mystery trifectas.

I won squat as usual.

Bah.

:mad:
Congrats to all who won something.

Shoulda kept my $14. Bah, bah bah. :mad:

I bet little , i win little...but a good cause

I was at one of those quaint/unique/bizarro Australian country hall luncheons yesteday I LOVE that stuff...all the oldies in their finery and me in my purple velvet "jesters" hat...make'em laugh (they spend more $$then).
I was at the "young people's" table (average age...oh about 73 I'd reckon). Ichecked out he sweeps when they were organised. itried not to leap up and click my heels together as I walked back to the table..."girls girls, we ALL have Media Puzzle" That meant nothing to them.(teehee) and I lashed out another $2 and also got Mr Prudent. ( I had Brew last year).
So I don't know why, but I seem to win the small local comps...when am I going to win bigtime LOTTO?
No, deadset...I win bigtime already...the effort andf love that went into that event..I did it again, thanking the organiser at the end of the day..goosebumps.
I'm taking my guitar next year ( as well as the jester's hat) those oldies need a singsong (god they were playing Bingo to pass the time....it went on and on and on..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm):lol: :wave:

hang on..back!! I want to post the "vison in blue".My digital camera is a cheap one and doesn't cope with indoor situations very well. This old girl paraded round and didn't win a prize. She was belle of the ball imho ( I sent a protest in to the stewards and she got a "special" prize..I said god , she could be dead next year and her heart was so set on getting a prize...pleeeeeeeeeease!!!Well they don't call me an interferencer for nothing)

oh the lady with th eskulklcap festooned with roses and the stirrups(real ones) for earrings caught my eye. I helped the local photographer line them all up for a photo, I tried to get the REALLY bizarre ones in the front of the shot. It will be in the newspaper today:eeklaugh:
Sorry Angela....my joy didn't actaully have much to do with the race...but a win is nice.
I won $33 from a $4 stake. I am wondering whether to put it towards the Best of... or the Boston DVD?(the organiser said to keep the sweep money this year(the drought and all). She had made a good profit on the day...I think i will)

Attachments

• racedaymc20029.jpg
    racedaymc20029.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 16
well that was worthwhile...my old girls got the full front

page of the newspaper( well half anyway and colour)
Only a few farmer's wives there really, made $1800 for the Foundation. I think she'll have to bake a few more quiches and scones for next year...good FREE publicity:evil:

Funny thing...the Westpac Rescue Helicopter in our region is looking for a fund-raising so-ordinator.We gave some of yesterday's money to them too. That would be a fun job, but it is getting harder to part people from their $$$.
I think,............no, I know, I am going to buy the Boston DVD. My son's housemate has a big TV and Playstation and he is going away for the weekend!!!! :mac:
I think the race is over now....I am SO glad damien won.
When i looked at the names yestedray morning I has a strong feeling for sandmason...did you see it lead nearly ALL the way? I don't like the industry , but I love the horses and their beauty and strength.But ya know that already:wave:
PS I quite like U2 as well:yes:

Aye congrats Cass on your $33! Nice bonus for a $4 investment and now you can get the dvd!

That pic of the lady in the hat is hilarious! Is that the dear who you helped get the prize? She looks like she definately deserved one!

Indeed that is "the belle of the ball" imho.
I am going to take it much more seriously if I go next year. I threw an outfit together that morning and walked in wearing "peg bundy " pants, platform rainbow coloured sandals, a purple jesters hat and carrying an orante ice bucket for a hand bag(shoudl it be allowed). I was late and they were all seated and it looked like a country wedding...they had the best chiffon suits and matching serious hats and the heirloom jewellry...I did feel quite the edjit..

If I do go next year..i have a thene for THE hat.
"I have a bee in my bonnet"
maybe I can get sponsorship from Capilano. "cap"ilano"

Did anyone take my tip about Damien Oliver? he flew to WA the day after the Cup for his brothers' funeral. I didn't know his father was a jockey also killed in a race. I feel so sorry for the mother/wife..she has lost husband and son to their love of the turf. I hope Damien retires asap....for her sake.
They played Dylan's "Forever Young' at the funeral and buried him with his dad:sad:
I mentioned my dog's potters grave site in another thread. I made me realise when i had my old horse sonny put dowm and buried him, I never went back and made him a grave marker. It's a project I have in mind and I want to build him something fitting.

Sonny one so true.....I love you ( he had to put up with my singing)

Back
Top Bottom