Any of you do Genealogy (family trees)? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Wow! This is right up my alley. I work at Historical & Genealogical Society. If you are really into researching your Family Tree, it takes a lot of time, and patience. Once you get into it you will find how many people you are related to in some way or the other. I l putting famlies together.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:03 PM
My cousin in upstate NY is really into this and for our family he has traced waaayyy back into the early 1700's. It is really time consuming but exciting too. He's coming to visit this month and I can't wait to talk to him about this!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:40 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by silja

Me too. Well, hello cousin
Hello there
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I'm a freelance local and family historian (English history). What was originally a hobby gradually turned into a profession which I've been doing for a few years now. I love it.
One little known fact is that if you go back 20 generations to your 18xgreatgrandparents which would generally be medieval times you would have over 1 million ancestors although a percenatage of these are bound to be the same people given that there wasn't so much mobillity in those times and populations were much smaller. As such it's not surprising that many people are descended from a common person or distantly related to one another.
If anyone has any general queries about English genealogy I'm happy to help. There's a lot of useful websites out there and organisations that I can point you towards.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Greenlight

If anyone has any general queries about English genealogy I'm happy to help. There's a lot of useful websites out there and organisations that I can point you towards.
Oh, I would! I'm interested in finding out more about my grandfather's side of the family. He was born in South Africa, but I believe his father (surname Norris) came from England. Any sites or organisations that might be able to help me out would be very much appreciated.

My great great aunt apparently used to claim that she had traced our family back to Mary Queen of Scots. But old Auntie Iris was apparently quite insane as well...
Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Any sites or organisations that might be able to help me out would be very much appreciated.
A few general ones that give a good introduction are:-

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/gs/
http://www.ffhs.org.uk/General/Help/First.htm

The main 19th century English records are census returns and birth, marriage and death (BMD) certificates. Ancestry.co.uk has all the English census returns on line now and also has a partial free BMD index which is worth checking first before using any of the fee based links.
Norris is a common name and you would need to find where your Norris ancestors were living in England before they emigrated to South Africa before you could go further back.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

My great great aunt apparently used to claim that she had traced our family back to Mary Queen of Scots. But old Auntie Iris was apparently quite insane as well...
I'd take any family stories passed down with a good pinch of salt. Some have an element of truth but often they're heavily embellished. That said although Mary I think only had one child, James VI of Scotland/I of England, many of his descendants were more prolific, many having lots of kids the wrong side of the royal bedpost. Charles II had at least 14 illegitimate children (none legitimate mind), and apparently thousands of people can claim to be descended from him so you never know
Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I'm related to Katie Couric, 2 presidents (William and Benjamin Harrison), a signer of the Declaration of Independence (another Benjamin Harrison), the first person to be beheaded by the guillotine, and Viking warriors.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I started tracing my ancestry when I was in high school, and I'm still the family geneologist. At one point the family claimed to be descended from nobility in Westphalia but this claim fell apart when we found records of a birth of this person in Maryland.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:03 PM
mine is only on my (mother's side) grandmother's side and goes back to Lincoln's wife...after that it's anyone's guess...my (mother's) grandfather's dad came over from Ireland, but he changed his last name, so his side is hard to trace....my dad's not that interested so he's never done it and I think it would be a scary process....his grandfather already had enough kids and grandchildren and great grand children AND great-great grandchildren to warrent a yearly family reunion
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 09:03 AM
My nana claims that there's and ancestor on her side of the family from the Spanish Armarda (sp) .

The Spanish I can believe, but the Armarda I'm not too sure about .
Old 08-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'm related to Katie Couric, 2 presidents (William and Benjamin Harrison), a signer of the Declaration of Independence (another Benjamin Harrison), the first person to be beheaded by the guillotine, and Viking warriors.
How have you traced your family back to Viking warriors? There haven't been any Vikings around for roughly 900 years.