Any Marillionheads on here? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Any Marillionheads on here?

Any fans of Marillion on here? I love the band, they're probably my third favorite (after U2 and Radiohead.) All of their albums are excellent, but my top favs are Brave, Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine, and Fugazi. I also saw them live on their 2004 tour, one of the best shows I've ever been to.

What are your thoughts on the new studio album, "Somewhere Else"?

Old 10-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Um, well, I wouldn't call myself a Marillionhead, but I have heard a few of their songs, and I quite like them. I
know "Kayleigh", "Cover My Eyes", "Dry Land", and "Lavender". All good stuff .

What specifically would you or any other Marillion fans recommend to those of us who aren't all that familiar with them?

Angela

Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
War Child

Hmm, the top albums I'd recommend getting first are:

Misplaced Childhood
Season's End
Brave
Afraid Of Sunlight
Anoraknophobia
Marbles

They have 14 studio albums, though, and several live and greatest hits albums, too.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Lila & I saw the Misplaced Childhood tour in the mid 80's. It was very good, especially Misplaced Childhood, played in it's entirety in order

I don't know the stuff after Fish, but all the one's with him are good.
My order would probably be: (excluding all the cd's I don't know)

Misplaced Childhood
Fugazi
Script for a Jester's Tear
Clutching at Straws
Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:40 AM
I only know the early ones, the first three I believe, which hardy listed above. I remember seeing them twice: once at The Roxy in Hollywood in the back of the club, and the other at a theater in Beverly Hills. I think I had 4th row seats, and Fish came down off the stage and walked up the aisle while singing. Maybe hardyharhar remembers more of the details.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Sounds like fun! I'm glad you guys enjoyed seeing them.

Thanks for the recommendations, ShipOfFools. I'll keep an eye out for those albums .

Angela
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:40 AM
The Fish era albums, with the exception of the thoroughly dull Script, are awesome. Well, not even Script is totally terrible: Forgotten Sons is one of the band's best songs. Misplaced Childhood and Fugazi are two of the best albums I've ever heard, and definitely stand out from the pack when it comes to second wave prog. Probably Misplaced Childhood is the more consistent album, but Fugazi has my favourite Marillion songs. Emerald Lies, Assassing, and the title track are all stunning.

The h era, however ... I'm barely interested. Marbles is a pretty good album. I just don't like Hogarth's voice. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is about his style that I don't like, but he bothers me. He certainly lacks the dynamism and character of Fish too. He would never be able to effectively pull off songs like Assassing or Bitter Suite.

And Somewhere Else is one of the worst albums of the year. I would definitely say it's the worst I've ever heard from Marillion, though I haven't heard their entire discography. Even the song titles are a terrible joke: See It Like A Baby, Most Toys, Thank You Whoever You Are! And The Last Century For Man is nauseating.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
War Child

I agree with you on Somewhere Else, that record is boring as hell. I can tolerate most of it now, and it's grown a bit on me over the past couple of months, but it's still their worst album to date.

Have you heard Brave? That's easily the best of the Hogarth era.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:40 AM
I can't be bothered to give Somewhere Else another chance. It's not as if Marillion are in a hurry to play concerts in my part of the world, so I don't need to try to gain tolerance for the songs in the hope of enjoying them live. I don't think I liked a single song, which is even less than I can say about Dream Theater's latest sack of crap (Part 1 of In The Presence Of Enemies isn't bad).

I haven't heard Brave though. I've been meaning to, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog