Any fans of "The Porcupine Tree" on this board - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
Collapse the Light Into Earth
I'll second that.

I'm kind of going through each album that I come across. I'm on In Absentia now, and while I've only listened to it once, it might be better than Deadwing. There are several songs on here that are amazing, including Trains, The Sound Of Muzak, and of course, the one mentioned above.

The local music shop has quite a few of the Digipak re-releases of the older albums, quite surprisingly. I think I'll spring for one or two this weekend...

Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #122
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Awesome news!

Roadrunner Records and Atlantic USA have officially announced the release of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" in mid April. The album features six (mostly lengthy) tracks, and is the band’s most ambitious and cohesive work to date. Much of it was debuted last year on tour to a rapturous response from fans.

The lyrical content of the song-cycle on the album is a 21st century cocktail of MTV, sex, prescription drugs, video games, the internet, terminal boredom, and subsequent escape.

More news and previews of the album to follow on this site.

I read a report elsewhere giving the precise release date as 16 April.

It's going to be a long three months' wait!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
awesome, but i had hoped for a more ordinary album, shorter songs.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #124
Vocal parasite

After how good Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is, bring on the lengthy stuff!

And, come on, PT's a prog band, what did you expect?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with Axver - if these songs are anything like Arriving Somewhere, I say bring it on.

I've been on a total PT kick ever since I discovered this thread. I've bought no less than four albums in the last month - Deadwing, In Absentia, Stupid Dream, and Up The Downstair. Stupid Dream recently was reissued in the US, but you can imagine my surprise when I actually found it in my local music store. Sounds amazing.

I've listened to Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and The Sky Moves Sideways as well via download. There are some strong songs on Lightbulb Sun, but overall I put it a notch below Stupid Dream. Recordings is interesting if only for the full version of Even Less, which is my favorite off of Stupid Dream.

In fact, Stupid Dream is probably the best of them all. I also think In Absentia is better than Deadwing; however, the best songs on Deadwing (Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere) are better than anything on In Absentia, so there you go.

I'm rambling now and probably make no sense whatsoever...

It's cool to discover a band and only have to wait a few months for a new album to come out.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #126
Refugee

lol @ a prog band making a Public Enemy reference in an album title

I like these guys, though. Not a big fan of the prog thing in general, but they've made some good stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #127
Vocal parasite

Heh, yeah, I noticed that too, XHendrix. Coming from Steven Wilson, though, it doesn't surprise me. The guy has pretty broad musical tastes. Under his own name, he occasionally issues CDs of covers of songs that he thinks are really well written - except he doesn't label it so that his prog snob fans don't instantly pre-judge it. He's covered artists such as Alanis Morrisette and Abba that way.

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I agree with Axver - if these songs are anything like Arriving Somewhere, I say bring it on.
I believe the longest song is around the 17-18 minute mark. They were playing it live on their most recent tour and without fail, every report I read absolutely raved about it, claiming it as one of the band's best songs. I'm really excited to hear this track.

Quote:
I've listened to Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and The Sky Moves Sideways as well via download. There are some strong songs on Lightbulb Sun, but overall I put it a notch below Stupid Dream. Recordings is interesting if only for the full version of Even Less, which is my favorite off of Stupid Dream.

In fact, Stupid Dream is probably the best of them all.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about both Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. The latter's my absolute favourite PT album, but Lightbulb Sun has some amazing tracks, especially The Rest Will Flow, one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard in my life. And credit to Recordings: Disappear and In Formaldehyde are great little tracks, and Buying New Soul is stunning. I also need to listen to The Sky Moves Sideways more - it's a favourite of mine but I just never get around to playing it much.

Quote:
I also think In Absentia is better than Deadwing; however, the best songs on Deadwing (Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere) are better than anything on In Absentia, so there you go.
That's how I felt initially. After I'd been listening to both intensively for a month, Deadwing became my favourite of the two and has remained there. It's my second-favourite PT album.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

New PT
Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Has anyone listened to Steve Wilson's side project, Blackfield? They have a second album coming out soon, and taking a listen to the songs on their myspace website, they sound pretty good.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #130
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Has anyone listened to Steve Wilson's side project, Blackfield? They have a second album coming out soon, and taking a listen to the songs on their myspace website, they sound pretty good.
Blackfield are AWESOME. They're one band I've found that need to be given time to grow on you. I initially didn't think all too much of the first Blackfield album, but it was one of those insidious ones that works its way into the back of your mind, and within a week, I was hooked on it. The second one initially underwhelmed me, but it grew even quicker - after about five listens, I was convinced it's better than the first album. Christenings in particular is an awesome song - it's actually originally a Deadwing sessions song that Steven wrote but the rest of PT rejected.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

i like pt the best when they're least prog.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #132
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
i like pt the best when they're least prog.
Then you should really like Blackfield.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

i'd love to hear some, but i dont know where to get it....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Check out the tunes at Blackfield's myspace page, for starters.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #135
The Fly

Just want to say that i LOVE Lazarus and Deadwing!