Any fans of "The Porcupine Tree" on this board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK AcrobatMan, I'm in the mood to buy some cds. I've heard one Porcupine Tree song that I know of, but I forget the title (it's the one you use lyrics from as your location though :wink: ). I like that song very much, and some people I know are also big fans.

Anyway, here's your chance to help win me over. What cd's of theirs should I buy? I'll go for two to three cds as that will give me the best feel for them.

:)

(and a big THANK YOU! to Bonochick for making the band index! Finding this thread was a breeze! :yes: )

You listened to "Stranger By The Minute" :)

Do you like hard-rock music or soft-pop/rock. From what I have heard of The Church, you might like the latter more.

The albums you can consider is

In absentia - Basically has hard rock touch to it for half of it songs
(blackest eyes, wedding nails, creator has a masterpiece, 0.3, strip the soul). The other half is just STEVE WILSON vocal and piano kind of songs with no bass or drums or little use of it. ( gravity eyelid, collapse, heartattack). So the latter would be little weird if arent a steve wilson fan

Lightbulb sun - I think you should start with this or stupid dream. Good melody, good rhythmn, not a lot of experimentation or long song (except russia or hate song).

Stupid dream - Similar to lightbulb sun..i like baby dream,stop swimming, even less, stranger...all songs has a pop feel to it..

Sunday of life - barring 2 or 3 songs ( 9 cats, footprints), the album will be too weird for beginners.

Recording - i suggest later

Overall, my suggestion would be Lightbulb Sun to start with.
followed by stupid dreams or In absentia.

Go for it..

Yet to hear their latest album :(

AcrobatMan, you really, really need to order in Deadwing. I ordered it in and although I initially didn't think it had topped In Absentia, after a few listens I felt it was equal and I now consider it superior. The first five tracks in particular are stellar - Lazarus would be one of my top three PT tracks (with Piano Lessons and The Sound Of Muzak).

As far as album recommendations go for indra, I'd consider Stupid Dream and either In Absentia or Deadwing. Stupid Dream I feel is a great illustration of the softer side of PT, and I simply like it more than Lightbulb Sun. Either of one the two recent are marvellous and showcase Wilson's heavier leanings.

AcrobatMan, have you heard Orchidia? Damn, that's one brilliant metal instrumental with an even nicer riff than Wedding Nails. :drool:

I'm gonna get my hands on Deadwing in a day or so :hyper:

I can warmly recommend Lightbulb Sun, Indra. That's the album that got me into Porcupine Tree.

I only have one song by Porcupine Tree, which is Wedding Nails.

I can sit and listen to that song and feel completely cleansed by the end.. it's awesome. One of their albums is definitely going on my christmas list. :up:

AcrobatMan said:
Will get hold of deadwing soon :)

Orchidia ??

do you some samples..

Orchidia's an instrumental from the Futile EP that came out around the release of In Absentia, I believe to US metal radio stations.

If I weren't on dialup right now, I'd upload it for you. My DSL modem was blown out by a storm last night. I'll have a new one in the next couple of days, though. Once I have a good connection, I'll upload Orchidia for you. :)

If not for Axver I wouldn't have even heard of Porcupine Tree...but I've got both In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun. Both very good, although right now I find In Absentia to be far superior. Trains is just :drool:, one of the best songs ever

AcrobatMan said:
You listened to "Stranger By The Minute" :)

Do you like hard-rock music or soft-pop/rock. From what I have heard of The Church, you might like the latter more.

I tend to like music with a mix of the following influences: shoegaze, slowcore, space rock, neo-psychedelia, some prog. I like ethereal, hypnotic, trippy music. Mostly guitar based, but generally more atmospheric, as opposed to cock-rock, and I do like bits of electronica, piano and strings also.

Essentially, I like my rockers stoned. :wink:

AcrobatMan said:

The albums you can consider is

In absentia - Basically has hard rock touch to it for half of it songs
(blackest eyes, wedding nails, creator has a masterpiece, 0.3, strip the soul). The other half is just STEVE WILSON vocal and piano kind of songs with no bass or drums or little use of it. ( gravity eyelid, collapse, heartattack). So the latter would be little weird if arent a steve wilson fan

Lightbulb sun - I think you should start with this or stupid dream. Good melody, good rhythmn, not a lot of experimentation or long song (except russia or hate song).

Stupid dream - Similar to lightbulb sun..i like baby dream,stop swimming, even less, stranger...all songs has a pop feel to it..

Sunday of life - barring 2 or 3 songs ( 9 cats, footprints), the album will be too weird for beginners.

Recording - i suggest later

Overall, my suggestion would be Lightbulb Sun to start with.
followed by stupid dreams or In absentia.

Go for it..

Yet to hear their latest album :(

Well, I just ordered Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dreams (I'm actually quite adept at finding obscure cds :) ). I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks. :)

Question for all Porcupine Tree fans:

Inside the cover of "In Absentia" you see a picture of some railroad tracks and a bridge in the distance. Now, this seemed quite recognizable to me, and I was quite shocked when I looked at the sign on the left, which, as far as I can see, says "Århus". Do you see the same letters as me?

Why on earth would Porcupine Tree put a photo of a railroad station in the second largest city of Denmark inside their cover? :huh:

:confused:

Last edited:
U2Man, the answer is: because they're cool. :wink:

AcrobatMan and anyone else who'd like it, I 'found' Orchidia on YSI. Remove spaces in the following URL:

http://s23.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Y8ES9O2LP8XL24VRQEOW00III

U2Man said:
Question for all Porcupine Tree fans:

Why on earth would Porcupine Tree put a photo of a railroad station in the second largest city of Denmark inside their cover? :huh:

:confused:

Because I suppose, porcupine tree is relatively more popular in countries like Poland and Denmark than Great Britian.

Regarding whether or not I am able to see the same station as u, I will see the booklet tonight and inform u... I have the european edition of the CD with bonus CD which has absolutely amazing ...CHLOROFORM....anyone is a hardcore fan of CHLOROFORM here :)

my favorite lyrics from IN ABSENTIA

its so erotic when your make up runs ( or something like that)

does anyone know whose voice is at the end of
" And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun " and does he say
something bad..do I hear what others hear :silent:

does anyone find this song (ablve) similar to FLY by U2...this album came 2 to 3 years before Achtung baby however

now we have some porcupine tree fans...it feels good :)

Axver said:
AcrobatMan, you really, really need to order in Deadwing. I ordered it in and although I initially didn't think it had topped In Absentia, after a few listens I felt it was equal and I now consider it superior. The first five tracks in particular are stellar - Lazarus would be one of my top three PT tracks (with Piano Lessons and The Sound Of Muzak).

I've been listening to Deadwing and In Absentia in the last 2-3 days, and I must say, I prefer Deadwing, simply because it's not quite as heavy as In Absentia. The tracks from Lazarus and onwards are really, really beautiful.

Axver, or anyone else:

could you recommend a song/album etc. that is something reminiscent of .3?

All I have is In Absentia.

And if you want it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to YSI something, me and my dinosaur dial-up are gonna try and get this Orchidia and see how it flies.

I do love In Absentia, I heard about it by mistake 2 years ago, somehow.

AcrobatMan said:
my favorite lyrics from IN ABSENTIA

its so erotic when your make up runs ( or something like that)

My favourite lyrics would be all of The Sound Of Muzak. They're so very true.

The music of the future will not entertain
It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain

:drool:

does anyone know whose voice is at the end of
" And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun " and does he say
something bad..do I hear what others hear :silent:

Yes, I hear that too. That's ... odd ...

So much of Tarquin's Seaweed Farm/On The Sunday Of Life is really weird, though. Space Transmission is the weirdest I think.

Ok here is the Porcupine Club

U2DMfan ( another fan like me)
Bunbury - whats she gone ( or is she he? )
u2popmofo ( wheres he gone)
Squishy Peanut( where is the show review)
Axver (come a long way since In absentia days)
Harry Vest ( what about my friendship offer)
U2Man ( the denmark guy)
AtomicBono

Waiting to get hooked to Porcupine
-------------------------------------------
knox
{paintedroses}
indra
XHendrix24

I have listened to In absentia, stupid dreams , recordings ( buying new soul :drool:) , sunday of life, lightbulb sun, sky moves sidewards..

Any one wants any sample from one of these...i can provide it...( but it may take few days).... Im sure you will like it enough to buy the album

:)

U2DMfan said:
Axver, or anyone else:

could you recommend a song/album etc. that is something reminiscent of .3?

All I have is In Absentia.

And if you want it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to YSI something, me and my dinosaur dial-up are gonna try and get this Orchidia and see how it flies.

I do love In Absentia, I heard about it by mistake 2 years ago, somehow.

Hmm, I'm pretty new to the majority of Porcupine Tree's discography - being a poor student, I can't afford many albums, but I downloaded PT's entire discography not too long ago. I of course believe in supporting artists and will buy the albums when I can, but this is my temporary solution so I can enjoy the music.

My point is that I don't know the catalogue inside out and need to listen to some of it more, but I'm thinking you'd like The Sky Moves Sideways.

U2Man said:

I've been listening to Deadwing and In Absentia in the last 2-3 days, and I must say, I prefer Deadwing, simply because it's not quite as heavy as In Absentia. The tracks from Lazarus and onwards are really, really beautiful.

Deadwing never ceases to amaze me. The title track, Lazarus, and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here are three of the best songs I have ever heard. Lazarus in particular.

Axver said:

My point is that I don't know the catalogue inside out and need to listen to some of it more, but I'm thinking you'd like The Sky Moves Sideways.

U2DMfan

Yes mostly long instrumental songs...good bassline loop...and creating a trance... the only problem is unline 0.3, you might run out of patience... not as compact as 0.3 but if you like long nice instrumental songs, sky move sidewards is for u.. dislocated day is good too :drool:

AcrobatFan :)

Back
Top Bottom