Any ELO fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If so, please name your 3 fave albums and songs.

Albums:
1)Out Of The Blue
2)Time
3)Zoom

Songs:
1)Mr. Blue Sky
2)Horace Wimp
3)Julie Don't Live Here Anymoe

I've always liked ELO. There's never been a band quite like them.

Albums:

Out Of The Blue
Face The Music
Time

Songs (just at the moment):

One Summer Dream
Sweet Is The Night
Don't Bring Me Down

Me too! They were great! Phalanx, I'm going to have to rip off your fave albums and songs because they're mine too!

Albums:
Out of the Blue
Face the Music
Time

Songs:

One Summer Dream
Sweet is the Night
Don't Bring Me Down

"Out Of The Blue" is often the fave of ELO fans, ever notice that?

Go ahead and list your 4th and 5th fave songs, if you'd like.

4.Blue Bird
5.4 Little Diamonds

Last edited:
My creative writing teacher played Horace Wimp to our class. I still don't know why.

ELO ... Electric Light Orchestra :drool:
My sisters were the ones who got me into their music ... such CLASSIC songs ... they were an absolutely GREAT 70's band ...

Albums :
Out Of The Blue
Face The Music
ELO Classics

Songs : (I have more than 3 faves)
Turn To Stone
Evil Woman
Telephone Line
Don't Bring Me Down
Can't Get It Out Of My Head

wow, an ELO thread!!!! love it!!!!

Albums:
1) Time
2) Eldorado
3) Face The Music

Songs:
1) One Summer Dream
2) Can't Get It Out Of My Head
3) Twilight
4) 21st Century Man
5) All Over The World

ELO have definately far too many great songs to choose from as favourites.

If anyone wants to buy a compilation of ELO's best then you will have no problem as they have released many compilations over the years. The best compilation that I have come across is the official Ultimate Collection, a double CD containing I think 40 songs - ALL SUPERB, no fodder.

I saw ELO PART 2 twice in concert (in their home city Birmingham and here in Edinburgh). Even though they were without their singer/songwriter/producer Jeff Lynne (he was ELO) they were superb.

After a solo album, travelling wilburys and beatles projects Jeff Lynne reformed ELO a few years ago (albeit without most of its members) and released the Zoom album. I don't know about elsewhere in the world but it flopped big time here in the UK. I like it, I don't think it's great, but the problem was is that it was too ELO (like some kind a parody of themselves) and maybe after well over ten years since their last album they should of come out with something to fit the times.

Great to see you mention Julie Don't Live Here Anymore, 80sU2isBest.

btw, my gas man is/was friends with Jeff Lynne - he went to school with him and played football (soccer) with him.

ewen said:
wow, an ELO thread!!!! love it!!!!

ELO have definately far too many great songs to choose from as favourites.

You are not joking, not at all. ELO is probably my 3rd favorite band of all time, one rank above U2, even.

ewen said:
I saw ELO PART 2 twice in concert (in their home city Birmingham and here in Edinburgh). Even though they were without their singer/songwriter/producer Jeff Lynne (he was ELO) they were superb.

Did you like their studio album? I liked two or three of the songs, but without Jeff, I thought it lacked that "ELO Magic".

ewen said:
After a solo album, travelling wilburys and beatles projects Jeff Lynne reformed ELO a few years ago (albeit without most of its members) and released the Zoom album. I don't know about elsewhere in the world but it flopped big time here in the UK. I like it, I don't think it's great, but the problem was is that it was too ELO (like some kind a parody of themselves) and maybe after well over ten years since their last album they should of come out with something to fit the times.

Oh that's why I liked it so much. I'm glad he didn't modernize. In my opinion, it could've used a little more orchestra, however.

ewen said:
Great to see you mention Julie Don't Live Here Anymore, 80sU2isBest.

That song peps me up every time I hear it. It reminds me a whole lot of ABBA, which is my number #1 band of all time.

ewen said:
btw, my gas man is/was friends with Jeff Lynne - he went to school with him and played football (soccer) with him.

Man, that is awesome. Jeff is cool.

80sU2isBest said:

Oh that's why I liked it so much. I'm glad he didn't modernize. In my opinion, it could've used a little more orchestra, however.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen more strings in Zoom. Not that I'm asking for another Out Of The Blue, but a few extra strings here and there would have been a nice touch.

There are way too many songs to cover, but a few more of my favorites are:

10538 Overture
Fire On High
Rockaria!
Shangri-La
Wild West Hero
and probably their best ever B-side, Hello My Old Friend

I could go on and on, really...

phanan said:

Fire On High
and probably their best ever B-side, Hello My Old Friend

I could go on and on, really...

As could I.

Fire On High - what an amazing track. You know a song has reached "GREAT" level when high school marching bands play it.

Hello, My Old Friend - Indeed awesome. I love the "do do do doo doo"s.

I think it is a complete disgrace that ELO, who were massive in the 70s, don't get the recognition they rightfully deserve these days. I mean you never see any VH1 specials on them or the like. My best friend, ELO is his favourite band, kind of likes it that way but I personally wish the music industry would honour them more.

80sU2isBest, I believe ELO PART II had two studio albums. The only one I heard and bought though was their first one. It has a couple of nice songs - Honest Men, Thousand Eyes. I know exactly what you mean about the magic being missing without Jeff Lynne, when he virtually did everything that was ELO. However, even though he was not a part of ELO PART II, I have to give them their dues...they put on a darn good, entertaining show.

I'm making my own "Favorite Songs" compilation called "The Lights Fantastic", and I created my own artwork.

EloTheLightsFantastic.jpg

ewen said:

80sU2isBest, I believe ELO PART II had two studio albums. The only one I heard and bought though was their first one. It has a couple of nice songs - Honest Men, Thousand Eyes.

The second one (Moment Of Truth) is quite good, actually. It has some well-crafted songs and beautiful strings. Much, much better than the first one.

I'm sitting here listening to Discovery while I work. That is such an excellent album. It might be my favorite if there were a few more tunes liek Confusion, Horace Wimp and Midnight Blue instead of "Shine A Little Love" and "Last Train To London".

hey, does anyone else think "A New World Record" is due for a remastering? I would listen to that album a lot more if the production qaulity was more clear.

ELO is pretty good. I'm no expert on their stuff, though. Interestingly enough, I used to confuse ELO with the Cars when I was a kid. Is it just me, or are these 2 bands kind of in the same vein?

Layton said:
ELO is pretty good. I'm no expert on their stuff, though. Interestingly enough, I used to confuse ELO with the Cars when I was a kid. Is it just me, or are these 2 bands kind of in the same vein?
To be honest, I can't think of any similarities, although the Cars were good, also.

Hey guys, I bought "Moment Of Truth" yesterday. I really like it, especially "The Fox" - what a wonderfully moving and suspenseful song!

80sU2isBest said:
Hey guys, I bought "Moment Of Truth" yesterday. I really like it, especially "The Fox" - what a wonderfully moving and suspenseful song!

Definitely. Hearing Kelly Groucutt on vocals again was really cool.

ELO may not have officially been around in the 90s, but this album was an excellent alternative.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Also, not to take this thread's focus totally off of ELO, but Traveling Wilburys...:up:.

The Wilburys were awesome. Supposedly their CDs are going to be remastered and re-released, which would be nice considering they've been out of print now for ten years or so.

If you like the Wilburys stuff, you should check out ELO's Zoom from 2001, because it sounds more like the Wilburys than classic ELO (and it's still a very good album, despite the fact that it flew under everyone's radar due to virtually no promotion).

phanan said:
The Wilburys were awesome. Supposedly their CDs are going to be remastered and re-released, which would be nice considering they've been out of print now for ten years or so.

Mmhm. I've heard their stuff through various means, but don't actually own the CDs because, as you said, they're out of print, but with the possiblity of them being re-released...I'll have to keep an eye out for 'em.

Originally posted by phanan
If you like the Wilburys stuff, you should check out ELO's Zoom from 2001, because it sounds more like the Wilburys than classic ELO (and it's still a very good album, despite the fact that it flew under everyone's radar due to virtually no promotion).

Oh, yeah? Neat-I'll keep an eye out for this one, too. Thanks for the recommendation :).

Angela

I only have one of their albums.
I love them!;)
Favorite songs:
1. Livin' Thing
2. Evil Woman
3. Ma-Ma-Ma (Song 9 on their first Greatest Hits album)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom