any dog lovers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Any dog lovers here do anything "special" like breed dogs, show dogs, handle/train dogs for search and rescue, agility, obedience, or anything like that? I'm just curious. Over the past year or so I've become really interested in handling dogs. I've never even had a dog before and can't have one yet (leased house), but someday I'd like to raise or foster guide dogs and maybe try training an agility dog. If you're into this kind of thing, how did you get started and what breeds do you work with?

cujo said:

Beagles rock. :heart:

I gotta post my mom's beagle, Nikki

3437633923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B4%3E793%3EWSNRCG%3D323278%3A%3A37998nu0mrj

Last edited:
cujo said:

Do you breed them? Beagles are so adorable, one of my favorite smaller dogs.

At the moment my dog of choice is the Belgian Malinois:
JusticeStack.jpg

Tunnel.jpg

I also love German Shepherds and the other Belgian herders, border collies, and labs.

I love the agility contests. Has anyone ever done that before?

u2valleygirl said:
I adore dogs. Mixed Breeds are best!!:wink:

I am partial to mutts because they never seem to get the credit they deserve.

Amen to that! I rescued a half-labrador half-Australian shepherd from the pound and she's so adorable!!! :)

I love dogs!Since I was a baby, I've always had at least one dog in the house. I have 3 of them: a newfoundland, a basset hound, and a collie-shephard mix. Here's a pic of my newfoundland

fiona.jpg

I've always thought the agility contests would be great fun. And I have a Blue Heeler which would be decent for that, but he's not real good at listening to me as it is.... :huh: :rolleyes:

But he is adorable. :D

I've currently got 2 Miniature Pinschers... they'd be great for Agility Training - if they were trainable!!! :lol: (Hardheaded little suckers, they are!)
As for Beagles, my father-in-law lives in KY & raises both 13 inch and 15 inch Beagles. I've thought many times about asking him for a 13-inch puppy, but he'd probably have a stroke over the way we'd baby that dog!! They're children to Mr. Blu & myself, but for my father-in-law, their for running rabbits & winning National Trial Championships!!! :lmao:

are you sure you want to get me started on my dog? I love any and all dogs... I'd have a whole herd of them if I had my way. I'm thankful for one though - since even that was a major undertaking for my husband. Here's a picture of my rescue black lab/ german shepherd mix Harry. My baby!!
331150302JYzrcS_ph.jpg

I've always had Collies. They are incredibly trainable dogs, and particularly close to human beings as they are a herding breed. I just absolutely love them.

My Mom knows more about therapy dogs (ie. for nursing homes or pediatric hospitals), and sometimes all you need is a St. John's Ambulance course and sometimes you need special certification from the institution where you're taking your dog. I work at a paediatric hospital and I've never seen small dogs as therapy dogs there. Basically there are lots of Labs, a Weimeraner, Collies, Retrievers. My Mom once asked why that's the case and they told her they generally find larger dogs to be less excitable.

Best thing if you're interested in either training dogs or showing dogs is go to your local dog shows......just start talking around and asking questions......perhaps speak with some of the dog owners.....they have others keep, train and show their dogs for showing.

Mine are two lovable doxies.......both are black and silver dapples......one I got from a professional breeder...in fact his grandfather was a show dog but since he has the bluest of eyes.....he could not be a show dog because it is atypical of the breed........he is black have a silver white chest with some silver dappling and those blue eyes are gorgeous. I would not trade my two dogs for anything in the world.....we think on the same wavelength....even my vet is amazed how we sense each other.

:|

I guess I'm mostly interested in it as a hobby. I suppose it would be fun to do agility contests, but I bet they're pretty expensive (travelling with a larger dog and all). The type of dogs I'm interested in are all very driven dogs that need lots of work anyway, so I'd like to experiment w/ training and obedience, I just don't know where to start.

I love dogs

I have a Belgium Shepard, she's one year old... adorable, very, VERY smart, and a piss in the ass sometimes (she bite my shoes...)

Bite my shoes or bites my shoe or bites my shoes????

Last edited:
Acrobat_Al said:
I love dogs

I have a Belgium Shepard, she's one year old... adorable, very, VERY smart, and a piss in the ass sometimes (she bite my shoes...)

Bite my shoes or bites my shoe or bites my shoes????

those are the black, froofy kind of the Belgians right? I love all the Belgian herders.....wait, I love all the herders period (except the Puli.....dogs with dreads are a little much, IMO).

I love dogs. I have a mixed collie/golden and a sheltie. Shelties are herding dogs and are very smart. The are also very active and can be very demanding. Mine is also bossy. They look really pretty but don't let that fool you. They need alot of excersise and play.

I love dogs :)
this is our dog Junior, hes a pomeranian. we have another dog and her name's choo choo (I call her 007 for some reason :shrug: she responds to it) but I haven't gotten a chance to take her picture yet

Junior
jr.bmp

as you can see he's kinda furry/hairy, so we get him groomed once every two months. it's pretty expensive, but well worth it. whenever summer/spring rolls around, he doesn't go out much cause it gets hot for him so we ALWAYS get his fur cut during those seasons.

I should probably get some sheep too, for my hypothetical dogs to herd.....though the last dog show I saw the commentator said the more driven herders will even herd cats. I'm having a tough time imagining my cats allowing a large dog to herd them, lol!

hairyeireann.bmp

This is one of my dogs, Eireann she's called! :cute:
She doesn't do any special tricks, but she does always ask before she jumps on your knee...she'll put her paw on you and keep slamming it down impatiently until you let her up. bless her!

She has a brother and 2 puppy boys, who also live with us......her brother didnt get her pregnant though!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom