any dog lovers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I :heart: dogs! I couldn't exist without them. Right now I've got two, a gorgeous chocolate lab named Darcy and an adoreable (and obstinate) pekingese Piko. :D

My lab is 4 years old and the best companion I've had. She's so smart! I swear she understands every word I say. :)

Here's my baby (Darcy) cuddeling with my crippled kitty. :)

3437939923232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D76%3A%3D3%3B4%3DXROQDF%3E2323845%3C2886%3Bot1lsi

deep.. that is a lovely dog.

i have 2 dogs...shelly a shepard/ husky mix with beautiful brown eyes and a brindle scottie named malcolm whose sporting a mohawk..pretty cool.

Awwww SoBe! Your labrador is gorgeous! :cute:

And kitty too, of course! I totally :heart: cats&dogs!!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
sheep + herd = shepherd

:wink:

thanks dear...:huh:

actually....my shep herd kinda of looks like one of belgiuemamalg somefink things - we got her from the humane society down in jax fla.
the line of her back and the way her paws are and her skinny little waist- .....
she really could be part of one of those ...fer real man!
but her tail does curl upward
shes really wunnerfull........

Last edited:
heh. the thing about the Belgian breeds is you have to keep them busy. They go bananas if they're going to be stuck in a house 10 hours a day with nothing to do... they're working dogs, they need to be doing things. This is true of the Tervuren, Malinois, and Groenendael.
I grew up with a Groenendael female, and more recently had to cope with my brother's utter failure with a male Groenendael pup who grew into an unpredictable, dangerous Jeckyll-and-Hyde personality because jackass sat on the computer all day and didn't walk or exercise the dog. I had started agility training with him and he was absolutely brilliant at it, but by the time the dog came into my care it was too late - he had become very aggressive towards any other dog or human, and despite working with the Tufts University behavioral clinic, a private trainer from my veterinarian, and medication (Clomicalm), he couldn't be saved and my heart is still broken.

If you have never owned or trained a dog before I strongly recommend you do not start with any of the Belgian sheepdogs. They are smart and loyal and beautiful and loving... and a very great deal of work and time and effort.

Right now all I have left for company is my ShepherdxLab, who misses Mali as much as the rest of us do, and her story is told in the pictures in the link below....

wolfeden said:

If you have never owned or trained a dog before I strongly recommend you do not start with any of the Belgian sheepdogs. They are smart and loyal and beautiful and loving... and a very great deal of work and time and effort.

Right now all I have left for company is my ShepherdxLab, who misses Mali as much as the rest of us do, and her story is told in the pictures in the link below....

My condolences for the loss of your pet. Thanks for the personal insight. The Malinois is my favorite dog, but I'll end up starting with something less driven, probably a young dog from the Humane Society. Someday when I have a house and more time and space you'll find me with a passel of belgians (and maybe some sheep for them)!

I took this test that tells you what kind of dog you should get, and the ones it picked for me were all my LEAST favorite types of dogs.

Sounds like you know a bit about dogs so what kind of dog would you suggest for me.....I like bigger dogs (retrievers, german shepherds, other herders and working dogs), I don't like dogs w/ curly or wavey hair (cute....but not for me), it would have to be OK around cats and most likely children in the future, would probably have to be at home for 8 hours but would be walked at least once a day and brought to a park or place for running and fetch, etc.

And can you tell me more about the agility training? Like how you started with that and what exactly you have to do?

I currently have a three year old German Shepherd. I was looking for another shepherd after having to have my last dog put down (she was 14 and no longer could walk without incredible pain which nothing was helping).

I contacted the Police who are always looking for homes for their dogs that don't make the grade and they told me about Kiera. She is a "rescue dog". Someone decided to beat the s#*t out of her and then tie her up and forget to fed or water her. Luckily, a little old lady came to her aid and spirited her away for a holiday and never gave her back. As Kiera got better and healthier she became too much to handle so she was going to be given to the police for training. Unfortunately (for the police) she doesn't fetch so she ended up with me.

She is fantastic! She is extemely gentle, clever, loves other dogs, is good with people and very protective. All the things I was looking for. She goes everywhere with me and at the moment is sleeping beside me while I work. I couldn't ask for a better dog and would highly recommend them.

those dogs are so cute digi- im sure youll be a great dog owner when you finally get one if your relatives are any indication.
you can tell just by lookin at em how happy/healthy they are.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Sounds like you know a bit about dogs so what kind of dog would you suggest for me.....I like bigger dogs (retrievers, german shepherds, other herders and working dogs), I don't like dogs w/ curly or wavey hair (cute....but not for me), it would have to be OK around cats and most likely children in the future, would probably have to be at home for 8 hours but would be walked at least once a day and brought to a park or place for running and fetch, etc.

And can you tell me more about the agility training? Like how you started with that and what exactly you have to do?

One thing to keep in mind is that almost all breeds have rescue societies - Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue, one of the oldest, AMRONE (Alaskan Malamute Rescue of New England) just two examples... and they may often have a dog that needs a home a little "different" from normal, and yours might just fit the bill.. needs to be an "only dog" for example. These societies will often also have dogs that are breed-mixes, that show a very dominant side of that breed... sometimes those are the best dogs of all.

I started Geiri, my brother's Groenendael (black Belgian sheepdog) on basic AKC agility training at a local facility which offered "doggie daycare" and many levels of training classes, from "puppy kindergarten" to "problem dogs".
A typical agility course may involve a tunnel, a "see saw" type thing, a hoop to jump through, and a row of poles to weave in-and-out of as they learn the right route -- that's part of the game as well, doing it all in the right order.

As for what dog might be 'best' for you, that I couldn't say truly... reading up on specific breeds is always a good idea, finding out the negative traits as well as the good ones etc. The SPCA *always* has dogs... who knows who you might fall in love with there, no? ;)

That said there are definitely some dogs that are considered to be good "beginner" dogs and some - like the Belgians, or Dalmatians, or Malamutes, Akitas, etc - that just require a lot more experience to work out happily and successfully, both for you and the dog...
Collie/German Shepherd (GSD) mixes are often good dogs to start out with... always depends on the individual dog's temperament. GSD/Lab, GSD/Golden Retriever tend to be easy-going dogs that still have an interest in agility, tracking etc.
Boxers and Boxer mixes are also very loving, easy-going dogs, good with kids/cats if you acclimate them early on.

Things to keep in mind:
  • Training a dog isn't cheap - whether you're taking them to classes or buying the stuff to make an agility course in your own back yard - research the availability and pricing in your area.
  • Also consider 'doggie daycare' when contemplating the financial aspect of owning a dog - if they turn out to have issues with separation anxiety, it's worth it; also, if you'll be gone more than 8-10 hours at a stretch with nobody coming home.
  • "Veterinary pet insurance" is also gaining in popularity and credibility - it was viewed with suspicion ten years ago, but coverage for dental procedures, routine care as well as emergencies can prove to be a lifesaver for your finances if a health crisis comes -- allergies, genetic diseases, hip dysplasia, epilepsy just to name a few common ones. For example -- My GSD/Lab, Lady, has severe hypothyroidism (like me...we match, heh) and her medicine is not cheap, and I will have to provide this for her for the rest of her life. I wsn't told she had this condition when I adopted her at the age of 5, a few years ago. If I had purchased a pet insurance policy at that time, I would be getting partial reimbursement for both her medicine and her routine blood tests for the condition.

Feel free to email me if you want to chat more..
volare@u2.com :)

wolfeden said:
GSD/Lab, GSD/Golden Retriever tend to be easy-going dogs that still have an interest in agility, tracking etc.
Boxers and Boxer mixes are also very loving, easy-going dogs, good with kids/cats if you acclimate them early on.

Thanks for the info! I like the sound of those dogs (above). GSDs have always been a favorite. Everyone I know seems to be scared of them, but the ones I've known (that were trained properly) were the most obedient and loyal dogs ever. I also like labs of any color and golden retrievers. Boxers I know less about, but I do think they're adorable. I took two "what dog is right for you" tests online and both suggested a samoyed b/c they're gentle and OK with strangers, kids, and other pets. I'll have to look into those (they just look like a LOT of brushing!). It also suggested a rotweiler, but I've always been hesitant around them since my uncle's bit my face when I was 4. That and I grew up in the ghetto where the rotties and pits were the dogs of choice and were always kept chained in yards, usually neglected or beaten so the were very aggressive. I really like watching the more popular dog shows b/c the commentators will tell you important things inexperienced people should know about each dog.

Those shows are pretty helpful to me since my only real experience w/ dogs was the 115 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever I used to dogsit/walk. He was absolutely out of control and had failed his obedience course. I watched him for a week straight one summer and was so pround when I finally got him to SIT on command. He was good for me getting used to a HUGE dog that was wild and would jump, nip, and bark at you. I also sometimes babysat this couple's babies and when I first started going there, I was so overwhelmed by their dog they would keep him in the basement. Watching a four-week old and a one year old is enough without having to deal with a dog the size of a pony tearing through the house!

I just think dogs are such amazing animals. Just the other day my housemate told me that their family dog Dash, a mutt most closely resembling a sheltie who's had no formal training, once got out and instinctively herded their cattle that were escaping across the road.

Back
Top Bottom