Anus Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_man2002 said:
I'm back.

That was fun. How are things going in Anus?

I want to make a joke here combining Anus, Shine Like Stars, and "he thinks the sun shines out his arse", but it's just not coming together for me. :(

Axver said:

I just listened to that about five or six times. Fuckin' wow.

YEEEEEEAAAAHHHH WE'LL SHINE LIKE STARS IN THE SUMMER NIGHT - that has got to be one of the best moments in any U2 song ever. I love it every single time it comes in.

it sends chills down my spine every time. where is it from? is that a poem or another lyric? or did he improvise that?

unico said:
these "maui onion and garlic" flavored almonds are giving me the worst breath ever...and they kinda taste like what i remember white castle burgers used to taste like

:lol: One fuckwit I used to know worshipped White Castle. I'm gathering it must suck.

And when I first read that flavour, I thought of Māui, the guy from Māori mythology.

unico said:

it sends chills down my spine every time. where is it from? is that a poem or another lyric? or did he improvise that?

It's essentially WOWY's missing verse. He did it as early as the song's live debut. I don't know how it missed being on the album version. It has taken various forms, but the "typical" one is what you hear on RAH.

I know it's not really a snippet, but I still like listing it on U2VT for completism.

LET IT GO, UH-HUH, AND SO FADE AWAY
LET IT GO, UH-HUH, AND SO FADE, FADE, FADE AWAY
FADE AWAY
FADE AWAY
NO, NO, NOT FADE AWAY!

This still gives me chills, all these years later. This song is why I'm here, posting, you know.

Axver said:

I want to make a joke here combining Anus, Shine Like Stars, and "he thinks the sun shines out his arse", but it's just not coming together for me. :(

:lol:

I"m continuing reading into this Dyaltov Pass "Accident". I was reading the how creepy do you want it? article. Its really creepy!

The Sad Punk said:
Any idea if the Shine Like Stars bit was written on the original lyrics sheet? Or developed around that time?

Not a fucking clue. I've no idea about its existence prior to 4 April 1987. I wish I did!

That's cool, Ax - I figured that wouldn't have been known or anything

bono_man2002 said:

:lol:

I"m continuing reading into this Dyaltov Pass "Accident". I was reading the how creepy do you want it? article. Its really creepy!

That was a good article. I first learned about it by reading it on some forum, looked at a few photos of where it took place and shit. Seriously, what an awesome mystery.

Edge says there was two gigs in Sutton in October of 1977, one at the Marine Hotel.

Alright, done with 28 September 1989, though some songs got only cursory checks.

That WOWY is awesome. :drool:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
7. Running To Stand Still
8. All I Want Is You (snippet) / With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
9. God Part II
10. All Along The Watchtower
11. Help (snippet) / Bad
12. October
13. New Year's Day
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
15. Angel Of Harlem
16. When Love Comes To Town
17. Love Rescue Me
18. 40

Comments: This is the only Lovetown Tour show at which Desire is not played.

phillyfan26 said:
Edge says there was two gigs in Sutton in October of 1977, one at the Marine Hotel.

Got any more details for me? These are the fields I need to fill out:

Date: [This can just be 1977-10-00 if the precise day is unknown]
Venue:
City:

EDIT: Just saw your later posts. :)

The Sad Punk said:
That was a good article. I first learned about it by reading it on some forum, looked at a few photos of where it took place and shit. Seriously, what an awesome mystery.

It is a great article. I'm perked up at the moment. I love to be creeped out. But it freaks me out at the same time :lol:

Have you seen the Blair Witch?....I haven't and Whats got me pondering, is what happens in that final scene?

As for the Exorcist.....I had to watch that from behind the couch :lol:

Axver said:

Got any more details for me? These are the fields I need to fill out:

Date: [This can just be 1977-10-00 if the precise day is unknown]
Venue:
City:

EDIT: Just saw your later posts. :)

Yeah, the other Sutton gig must be the RFC one I posted.

phillyfan26 said:
Howth Presbyterian Church, Claremont
December 17th, 1977

Hm. We already have the Howth Community Centre in the database for a 1979 gig, which I think I once read is associated with the church? Better look this one up ...

Axver said:

It's essentially WOWY's missing verse. He did it as early as the song's live debut. I don't know how it missed being on the album version. It has taken various forms, but the "typical" one is what you hear on RAH.

I know it's not really a snippet, but I still like listing it on U2VT for completism.

i didn't know that. fuckers should've included it in reJT.

In late December of '77, they play a gig at a club called the Nucleus in Raheny.

Incomplete setlist:
Brown Sugar (snippet)/Jumpin' Jack Flash

Notes: U2 get drunk before the show, leading to a rough performance. Bono calls out for Jumpin' Jack Flash and Dick mixes up Stones songs and begins playing Brown Sugar.

phillyfan26 said:
In late December of '77, they play a gig at a club called the Nucleus in Raheny.

Incomplete setlist:
Brown Sugar (snippet)/Jumpin' Jack Flash

Notes: U2 get drunk before the show, leading to a rough performance. Bono calls out for Jumpin' Jack Flash and Dick mixes up Stones songs and begins playing Brown Sugar.

:lmao: Really? Wow, that's amazing.

Harp Lager Contest
Limerick
3/17/1978

Complete Setlist:
1. Street Missions
2. Life on a Distant Planet
3. The TV Song

Notes: The TV Song is named such because the band thought it sounded like a Television song.

PFan, thanks for all this info. :up:

Also, better go change The Magic Carpet to Life On A Distant Planet. Though I think I'll keep calling it Lost On A Silent Planet because that's a fucking cool name.

And now I'm snippet-checking 1989-09-29, Sydney and it has ONE TREE HILL. :drool:

phillyfan26 said:
Harp Lager Contest
Limerick
3/17/1978

Complete Setlist:
1. Street Missions
3. The TV Song

Notes: The TV Song is named such because the band thought it sounded like a Television song.

The name of the actual venue is The Project Arts Centre.

phillyfan26 said:
Harp Lager Contest
Limerick
3/17/1978

Complete Setlist:
1. Street Missions
3. The TV Song

OK, now this is an issue that has confused me for some time. I've read some reports that there were heats one day and finals the next, unclear on whether it was the heats on the 16th, finals 17th or heats 17th, finals 18th. Or if it all happened in one day.

And I've read they did an early An Cat Dubh completely in Gaelic too. Which I'm not sure is entirely true as it appears on no early demos and doesn't crop up in any known set until July 1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom