Anus Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! They both sound very cool. Still looking forward to our big theology chat picnic thing. I'll start looking at flights sometime closer to June or so.

The Sad Punk said:
Great! They both sound very cool. Still looking forward to our big theology chat picnic thing. I'll start looking at flights sometime closer to June or so.

Awesome. :up:

Ali and I actually mentioned that picnic when we were at the Art Gallery on Sunday. It's going to be heaps of fun. Though I wonder if it'll be too cold in winter to go out and have a picnic! :lol:

The Sad Punk said:

It's already looking unlikely.

I'm not watching this game. Don't really care about either team, and I don't follow AFL that much to want to watch two games in one evening. But keep me updated, as I'd like to know how things go. And maybe that'll keep the thread alive.

Fucking hell I'm bored.

This may just push me to do something productive. I hope not.

Axver said:

Awesome. :up:

Ali and I actually mentioned that picnic when we were at the Art Gallery on Sunday. It's going to be heaps of fun. Though I wonder if it'll be too cold in winter to go out and have a picnic! :lol:

Haha, hopefully we'll be able to choose a good day, late teens or something. If it's too cold, we'll go somewhere inside. Are there any bars or restaruants in Melbourne suitable for Symposioms? :wink: We should go to the Art Gallery too, assuming you guys won't be sick of it.

Axver said:

I'm not watching this game. Don't really care about either team, and I don't follow AFL that much to want to watch two games in one evening. But keep me updated, as I'd like to know how things go. And maybe that'll keep the thread alive.

Ah, at least you're not as bad with AFL as Jen and I are with cricket. Couldn't help but feel left out when you lot would be talking about it all day! Not that it bothered me of course.

Geelong are winning - 48 to 30, ten minutes into the second quarter.

Okay, I don't know a lot about most regular posters around here, but is diamond usually this retarded?

http://forum.interference.com/t185131.html

"You have the free will to choose not to know anybody, or do anything I suppose, but this isn't why God gave us life or His plan of happiness..

Also, not interacting with ppl, it doesn't seem like much of an existence though; kind of like being in solitary confinement and if I remember correctly God has encouraged us not to be idle.

I think it's part of God'd plan of happiness that we share our talents and interact with our brothers and sisters (neighbors), for us to learn some things from them, the gifts and talents that they have and we are to share our gifts and talents. I think were suppose to love our neighbors too.

Think about it, Bono could of chose to stay home that day Larry posted the invitation on the school bulletin board, and not exercised his talent(s) or suspected talents and U2 could of never been, and we would have never met here BVS.

How about that? Things happen for a reason.

Because Bono used his free will, he loved life, loved his neighbors (school mates) and used his talents and chose to share them- look what it accomplished.

dbs"

:huh:

(That said, though his post isn't worth studying in the least, I think Bono actually hated life when he joined the band?"

Last edited:
The Sad Punk said:
Haha, hopefully we'll be able to choose a good day, late teens or something. If it's too cold, we'll go somewhere inside. Are there any bars or restaruants in Melbourne suitable for Symposioms? :wink: We should go to the Art Gallery too, assuming you guys won't be sick of it.

Knowing Melbourne, we'll set up our picnic when it's 17 and sunny, get out the food, start talking about whether the ontological "proof" of God is valid, and then it'll suddenly drop to 9 and piss with rain.

You're asking me for bars/restaurants? :lol: The extent of my knowledge is "you can get Italian food on Lygon Street".

And Ali, Melissa, and I only saw a bit of the Art Gallery. I'd love to see more. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Ah, at least you're not as bad with AFL as Jen and I are with cricket. Couldn't help but feel left out when you lot would be talking about it all day! Not that it bothered me of course.

Geelong are winning - 48 to 30, ten minutes into the second quarter.

:laugh: Yeah, I felt bad when we really got going about cricket - and I believe the third Test between England and New Zealand starts tomorrow, so look out for more from Ian and I! I tried not to go on too much, not that I really succeeded there.

AFL interests me, but not too much of it, you know? Low scoring games can get far too dull.

The Sad Punk said:
Okay, I don't know a lot about most regular posters around here, but is diamond usually this retarded?

That's actually a fairly tame post by diamond's standards, I think. He's the kind of nutcase who claims that liberals are mentally ill. Yeah, how dare we favour individual liberty and all that nasty stuff.

(That said, though his post isn't worth studying in the least, I think Bono actually hated life when he joined the band?"

I've no real idea, but I was under the impression he was at least a bit wayward after losing his mother and being in the band gave him some release and belonging.

Axver said:

Knowing Melbourne, we'll set up our picnic when it's 17 and sunny, get out the food, start talking about whether the ontological "proof" of God is valid, and then it'll suddenly drop to 9 and piss with rain.

You're asking me for bars/restaurants? :lol: The extent of my knowledge is "you can get Italian food on Lygon Street".

And Ali, Melissa, and I only saw a bit of the Art Gallery. I'd love to see more. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

:lol: To be fair, that'd probably happen here in Adelaide too! I couldn't believe it was raining today, I was almost considering wearing a jacket, which would have been a sign of mental instability just a few days ago.

Lygon street seems to have a lot of good stuff. Is that the massive one (perhaps it's larger in my memory) with Hessie's Shed on it? I don't know if it's still there, but it was a music shop owned by Paul Hester, I'm not sure if it went away with him or what. We'll figure somewhere out, but hopefully the park should be alright.

According to Wiki there's stuff by Rubens at the gallery, which has just confirmed the fact that we are going there. Any ancient Greek stuff, if you recall?

:laugh: Yeah, I felt bad when we really got going about cricket - and I believe the third Test between England and New Zealand starts tomorrow, so look out for more from Ian and I! I tried not to go on too much, not that I really succeeded there.

AFL interests me, but not too much of it, you know? Low scoring games can get far too dull. [/B]

Ah, I'll watch out for that, then. :wink: I might be doing other stuff tomorrow anyway, I'll find out. I know that some people will be coming over for tea.

Low scoring games can be boring, they can also be awesome. The 2005 grand final was one of my favourite matches ever (even though we lost and immediately after it ended I was crying into my beer outside). It was a great game and both scores were only in the 50s. Still, the high scoring games are the best. I miss that being more common back in the 90s.

Axver said:

That's actually a fairly tame post by diamond's standards, I think. He's the kind of nutcase who claims that liberals are mentally ill. Yeah, how dare we favour individual liberty and all that nasty stuff.

Yeah, just the whole thing about demonic possession... and the fact that there were actually other people that voted it being 'absolutely real'. Like, without any skepticism whatsoever. I mean, really now. Perhaps I should make a topic warning that Athene can turn naughty people into spiders, and claim that "I read about it, so it must be real!".

I've no real idea, but I was under the impression he was at least a bit wayward after losing his mother and being in the band gave him some release and belonging. [/B]

I think that I Was Bono's Doppelganger book said something about suicidal tendancies at the time, but fuck it, I wasn't there and I won't claim to know. Plus, every teenager feels that way, regardless of the fact his ma had died.

The Sad Punk said:
:lol: To be fair, that'd probably happen here in Adelaide too! I couldn't believe it was raining today, I was almost considering wearing a jacket, which would have been a sign of mental instability just a few days ago.

Lygon street seems to have a lot of good stuff. Is that the massive one (perhaps it's larger in my memory) with Hessie's Shed on it? I don't know if it's still there, but it was a music shop owned by Paul Hester, I'm not sure if it went away with him or what. We'll figure somewhere out, but hopefully the park should be alright.

According to Wiki there's stuff by Rubens at the gallery, which has just confirmed the fact that we are going there. Any ancient Greek stuff, if you recall?

:lol: There was a faint hint of rain here. Not even enough to qualify as spitting, or to register at the Bureau. I just felt a few drops on my face when I took the rubbish out. It looked really threatening though. Fuck, we need rain. I still can't believe it looks drier here than in Queensland.

I'd never even heard of Hessie's Shed! But then - I never hear about anything. I need to get out more and find out about stuff. Which I've sort of been doing lately, at least.

We looked at a bit of the Rubens stuff! I think there might've been a little bit of ancient Greek stuff. I clearly remember Egyptian, Mayan, and Roman stuff. There was plenty of pottery I didn't really look at and that could've easily been Greek.

Ah, I'll watch out for that, then. :wink: I might be doing other stuff tomorrow anyway, I'll find out. I know that some people will be coming over for tea.

Low scoring games can be boring, they can also be awesome. The 2005 grand final was one of my favourite matches ever (even though we lost and immediately after it ended I was crying into my beer outside). It was a great game and both scores were only in the 50s. Still, the high scoring games are the best. I miss that being more common back in the 90s.

I'm going to try to do some work tomorrow. Ha. And maybe go shopping, assuming the supermarket's open. I wonder if it will be.

I don't think I actually watched the 2005 grand final. :reject: I've watched every single one since coming to Australia, except I don't think that one. I've no memory of it anyway. I have seen a couple of good lowscoring games, but normally they really bore me. If the score doesn't get past 70, it usually doesn't excite me much. How come high scores were more common in the nineties? Rules were different?

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, just the whole thing about demonic possession... and the fact that there were actually other people that voted it being 'absolutely real'. Like, without any skepticism whatsoever. I mean, really now. Perhaps I should make a topic warning that Athene can turn naughty people into spiders, and claim that "I read about it, so it must be real!".

:lol: DO IT. That would be funny. But yeah, that demonic possession thread is just nuts. I can't believe people still fall for that in this day and age. I mean, even when I was a Christian, I thought that was a load of bollocks.

I really am sick of FYM. It's acquired far too many far right fanatics and religious extremists and I feel nauseous reading some threads there now.

I think that I Was Bono's Doppelganger book said something about suicidal tendancies at the time, but fuck it, I wasn't there and I won't claim to know. Plus, every teenager feels that way, regardless of the fact his ma had died.

Ah, right. I've read a number of the U2 books, but I've mainly only retained memory of the stuff about the music, live shows, etc.

Hey Maya! :wave:

You know, if Ali weren't driving to Castlemaine tonight, this would be early enough to catch her for an hour or two. You two are just never destined to be on this thread at the same time, aren't you? :lol:

Hey Mia! :wave:

Axver said:

:lol: There was a faint hint of rain here. Not even enough to qualify as spitting, or to register at the Bureau. I just felt a few drops on my face when I took the rubbish out. It looked really threatening though. Fuck, we need rain. I still can't believe it looks drier here than in Queensland.

I'd never even heard of Hessie's Shed! But then - I never hear about anything. I need to get out more and find out about stuff. Which I've sort of been doing lately, at least.

We looked at a bit of the Rubens stuff! I think there might've been a little bit of ancient Greek stuff. I clearly remember Egyptian, Mayan, and Roman stuff. There was plenty of pottery I didn't really look at and that could've easily been Greek.

I slept through most of the day (woke up at 3pm, no idea why as I was in bed by midnight! Suppose I wanted to catch up on some sleep) but there seemed to be a bit of rain here. At one semi-awake stage I let my cat in and he was drenched. So I think there was a fair bit going on, the sky was certainly grey all day.

Yeah, you should definitely have a look around more stuff. I have been doing that a lot since I turned 18. Now Adelaide's become more boring knowing about everything, though. :lol:

If there was a lot of pottery, it could have certainly been Greek. Mayan art is awesome, I look forward to that. I saw an Egyptian exhibition last year and while it was refreshing, the art doesn't interest me at all. I mean, they were doing the same thing for like 3000 years and it was completely boring! Don't see much appeal in the Egyptians compared to the other older civilizations like the Sumerians and Minoans. At least their art wasn't all rigid and repetitious. Roman art to me has always been Greek-lite, though recently I've appreciated their coins a lot more. I find it interesting that they seemed to somewhat exaggerate the profiles of their emperors and leaders to make them all look downright hideous. Unless their decadence really did make them look like that. :wink:

I'm going to try to do some work tomorrow. Ha. And maybe go shopping, assuming the supermarket's open. I wonder if it will be.

I don't think I actually watched the 2005 grand final. :reject: I've watched every single one since coming to Australia, except I don't think that one. I've no memory of it anyway. I have seen a couple of good lowscoring games, but normally they really bore me. If the score doesn't get past 70, it usually doesn't excite me much. How come high scores were more common in the nineties? Rules were different?

I did my shopping today. Fetta, foccacia, some yoghurt, a few biscuits, low fat iced coffee and orange juice. That's it. I only had twenty dollars. :uhoh:

The 2005 GF was great at the time, but is probably less interesting now. Plus, as an Eagles fan, I was just fucking rapt to see them playing in the GF. That might have had a big effect for me.

Rules were slightly less pussy and styles of play relied less on the midfield and more on the forwardline. Full forwards were basically gods.

Axver said:

:lol: DO IT. That would be funny. But yeah, that demonic possession thread is just nuts. I can't believe people still fall for that in this day and age. I mean, even when I was a Christian, I thought that was a load of bollocks.

I really am sick of FYM. It's acquired far too many far right fanatics and religious extremists and I feel nauseous reading some threads there now.

FYM is the type of forum I always think I'd love posting in, and then I see what the people are like and I'm all "no way, I'm not going to bother with this shit".

Ah, right. I've read a number of the U2 books, but I've mainly only retained memory of the stuff about the music, live shows, etc.

I remember patches of information about the process of recording, but also a lot of more biographical stuff. It's not the sole reason I buy the books, but I think my mind is more centred on that kind of narrative and I like reading biographies.

The Sad Punk said:
I slept through most of the day (woke up at 3pm, no idea why as I was in bed by midnight! Suppose I wanted to catch up on some sleep) but there seemed to be a bit of rain here. At one semi-awake stage I let my cat in and he was drenched. So I think there was a fair bit going on, the sky was certainly grey all day.

Yeah, you should definitely have a look around more stuff. I have been doing that a lot since I turned 18. Now Adelaide's become more boring knowing about everything, though. :lol:

Wish I'd gotten that much sleep! I had to drag myself out of bed before 8:30am because the Royal Historical Society has discovered the ancient tradition of the "morning". It was actually a lovely day here until about 1:45. Then the clouds rolled in and I've been wondering since then where the hell the rain is.

:lol: It seems there's plenty of interesting stuff around Melbourne I haven't discovered. It's been good being more sociable. And I never knew I'd be so interested in photography. I'm now compulsively taking tram photos, like when the Maj. and I were walking down Royal Parade ...

If there was a lot of pottery, it could have certainly been Greek. Mayan art is awesome, I look forward to that. I saw an Egyptian exhibition last year and while it was refreshing, the art doesn't interest me at all. I mean, they were doing the same thing for like 3000 years and it was completely boring! Don't see much appeal in the Egyptians compared to the other older civilizations like the Sumerians and Minoans. At least their art wasn't all rigid and repetitious. Roman art to me has always been Greek-lite, though recently I've appreciated their coins a lot more. I find it interesting that they seemed to somewhat exaggerate the profiles of their emperors and leaders to make them all look downright hideous. Unless their decadence really did make them look like that. :wink:

I agree with this entirely. The Egyptians did have an interesting civilisation, but I do not understand why people are so fascinated by them. I find most other civilisations are even more intriguing. In grade eight, our ancient civilisations unit was meant to cover a broad spectrum, but we really just spent all our time on Egypt. I ended up arguing with my teacher about it and got kicked out of the class. I've always had a fondness for Rome though. Blame Caesar III. What a great computer game that was, back in the day. Actually, I really enjoyed Pharaoh too, it was even better, but it didn't achieve in sucking me in to liking Egypt more.

But now I'm getting off-topic. I'd love to see more artwork and such from pre-Columbian America. I've always been pretty fascinated by the Inca and Maya, and would like to learn pretty much anything about the even earlier civilisations that we don't hear much about.

I did my shopping today. Fetta, foccacia, some yoghurt, a few biscuits, low fat iced coffee and orange juice. That's it. I only had twenty dollars. :uhoh:

The 2005 GF was great at the time, but is probably less interesting now. Plus, as an Eagles fan, I was just fucking rapt to see them playing in the GF. That might have had a big effect for me.

Rules were slightly less pussy and styles of play relied less on the midfield and more on the forwardline. Full forwards were basically gods.

I need spring onions as I plan to do some gnocchi napoli tomorrow. And FFS, why does the cost of everything keep going up? I went in this week only to notice my favourite biscuits have had their price jacked up again. Guess I'll be making even more of my own stuff.

Heh, at least your Eagles have won the bloody thing before. My Hurricanes in the Super 14 ... well, in 2006, I was so fucking excited that they simply made the final. I knew they'd lose, but the fact they simply MADE IT was as good as winning. It's the best we've ever done. And thank fuck steps are being taken to quicken rugby again. I don't like rule changes that slow the game down, and rugby's had too many of those over the last couple of decades. Older games look so much more exciting. Really, for any sport, just keep play flowing! If you can't do that, quit (looking at you, American pansyball).

The Sad Punk said:
FYM is the type of forum I always think I'd love posting in, and then I see what the people are like and I'm all "no way, I'm not going to bother with this shit".

Yeah, same. I've posted a bit, but I often find myself just sticking to the Kiwi/Aussie politics threads when they show up. I was disappointed when my "You thought Bush was unpopular? Meet Brendan Nelson!" thread got only about four replies.

I remember patches of information about the process of recording, but also a lot of more biographical stuff. It's not the sole reason I buy the books, but I think my mind is more centred on that kind of narrative and I like reading biographies.

Ah, right. I've not read that many biographies myself. I've always had an interest in what recordings DON'T get released though, as a look into the band's creative and decision-making processes. Especially as I think they've made some monumental mistakes. So any look into how the songs and albums were created is going to intrigue me. And then there's the whole live show and setlist aspect.

I really want more work to do on U2VT right now ...

Axver said:

Wish I'd gotten that much sleep! I had to drag myself out of bed before 8:30am because the Royal Historical Society has discovered the ancient tradition of the "morning". It was actually a lovely day here until about 1:45. Then the clouds rolled in and I've been wondering since then where the hell the rain is.

:lol: It seems there's plenty of interesting stuff around Melbourne I haven't discovered. It's been good being more sociable. And I never knew I'd be so interested in photography. I'm now compulsively taking tram photos, like when the Maj. and I were walking down Royal Parade ...

Ouch, you usually sleep longer than 8:30 too, is that right? Lately I've been sleeping in way too often, even on Tafe days. Bad habit, the same I had back at school. What can I say, I've always been nocturnal.

Melbourne is an awesome city and I can't wait to have a better look at it. Actually, your talking about photography reminds me that I should probably get into it a bit more (though I don't have very steady hands unless I'm drawing. When they're in mid-air holding a camera, it's fucking hopeless) since I have a crush on this guy at Tafe doing a photography course, and even though he's very nice he's one of those people that you have a lot of trouble talking to, because he's quite laconic. I'd like to spark a good conversation with him, which hopefully I should manage.

I agree with this entirely. The Egyptians did have an interesting civilisation, but I do not understand why people are so fascinated by them. I find most other civilisations are even more intriguing. In grade eight, our ancient civilisations unit was meant to cover a broad spectrum, but we really just spent all our time on Egypt. I ended up arguing with my teacher about it and got kicked out of the class. I've always had a fondness for Rome though. Blame Caesar III. What a great computer game that was, back in the day. Actually, I really enjoyed Pharaoh too, it was even better, but it didn't achieve in sucking me in to liking Egypt more.

But now I'm getting off-topic. I'd love to see more artwork and such from pre-Columbian America. I've always been pretty fascinated by the Inca and Maya, and would like to learn pretty much anything about the even earlier civilisations that we don't hear much about.

Yeah, I did have some interest in Egyptian mythology (the origins of Horus/Heru is pretty cool) but everything else about them is pretty dull to me. There were some cool things about them, like they seemed to have gender equality and I think were tolerant with homosexuality (very different to Judea and most of Greece) but the Persians were the same, and as far as I'm concerned they're a trillion times more fascinating. And the Egyptians weren't even the first civilization! The Sumerians had been going on long before the Egyptians started to get their ball rolling. The only ancient history we got in school was about the Egyptians too. Actually, that was the only non-Australian history I think we got...

Incan history is fascinating. That they apparently had a more disciplined army than almost anywhere in Europe and Asia at the time, were wealthier, had a polticial system similar to Socialism that actually worked and managed to build their capital city in the shape of a jaguar is just too cool to me. Though I'm more knowledgable in the North American Indians, particularly during the Colonial period up to around the American Revolution.

I need spring onions as I plan to do some gnocchi napoli tomorrow. And FFS, why does the cost of everything keep going up? I went in this week only to notice my favourite biscuits have had their price jacked up again. Guess I'll be making even more of my own stuff.

No kidding. I think the local IGA is buggering me, they have a low price for all flavours of a brand of mini-baguettes except for the flavour I like, which is about a dollar extra. Come on, surely there shouldn't be a difference. :huh:

Since you're in a pasta mood, have you tried cooking Fettuccine Carbonara? Just bacon, onion and cream, but it's absolutely delicious homemade.

Heh, at least your Eagles have won the bloody thing before. My Hurricanes in the Super 14 ... well, in 2006, I was so fucking excited that they simply made the final. I knew they'd lose, but the fact they simply MADE IT was as good as winning. It's the best we've ever done. And thank fuck steps are being taken to quicken rugby again. I don't like rule changes that slow the game down, and rugby's had too many of those over the last couple of decades. Older games look so much more exciting. Really, for any sport, just keep play flowing! If you can't do that, quit (looking at you, American pansyball).

I felt the same thing when the Eagles simply managed to get into the GF. Complete pride, at least after my eyes dried. That we won the year after was just extra nice, even though after that the controversy started to heap in and all... I hope your Hurricanes never have to go through a saga like that, unless they have already.

Yeah, with sport it's all about flow. And action. That's why I find Gridiron so incredibly mind-numbing. It's just wussified Rugby for simple people. I don't doubt that intelligent people watch it, but they should stop watching it immediately!

OK, I'm just snippet-checking the 1989-09-23, Perth boot right now, and I cannot understand why U2 only opened with In God's Country at this gig. Even in shitty quality audio, this is a great opener.

And come on U2, Hawkmoon 269 only eight times? :tsk:

Axver said:
OK, I'm just snippet-checking the 1989-09-23, Perth boot right now, and I cannot understand why U2 only opened with In God's Country at this gig. Even in shitty quality audio, this is a great opener.

And come on U2, Hawkmoon 269 only eight times? :tsk:

They've been hanging out with Phail Collins since, I suppose.

U2. :tsk: You know, I am sort of excited about the new album, but even if it does turn out to be good, I have noticed that I find Bono's voice - even when he is actually singing 'well' - to have a very grating, whiny layer over it at times nowadays. I might look for an example of what I mean, but I know that it's definitely in Wave of Sorrow. I am genuinely concerned about this.

bono_man: Good to hear you enjoyed it. :) Though I'm afraid I'm incapable of thinking that Muse own in any form. :reject:

Not A muse Fan eh?....I think you either love them or loathe them. Or Just like Time Is Running Out and Starlight.

The Wembley DVD is fucking awesome though. I want to watch it again!

The Sad Punk said:
Ouch, you usually sleep longer than 8:30 too, is that right? Lately I've been sleeping in way too often, even on Tafe days. Bad habit, the same I had back at school. What can I say, I've always been nocturnal.

Melbourne is an awesome city and I can't wait to have a better look at it. Actually, your talking about photography reminds me that I should probably get into it a bit more (though I don't have very steady hands unless I'm drawing. When they're in mid-air holding a camera, it's fucking hopeless) since I have a crush on this guy at Tafe doing a photography course, and even though he's very nice he's one of those people that you have a lot of trouble talking to, because he's quite laconic. I'd like to spark a good conversation with him, which hopefully I should manage.

I used to be an early riser. 7am was late. And then uni started and I've found I do my best work at night. So now 10am is early. 8:30am is just killing me. I don't know how I'll cope one of these days when I actually have a real job.

I'll try to show you the cool stuff I know, but I don't promise much in the way of either 1. cool or 2. stuff. I have found the most awesome spot for train photography though. Totally need to go on a picnic with my fellow albino railfan there. An entirely platonic one, I must emphasise! I also need a better camera. I can't believe I'm saying that just three months after getting my first digital camera. What can I say, I've found I really like photography. I don't have terribly steady hands either, though. Not quite sure what to do about that.

Yeah, I did have some interest in Egyptian mythology (the origins of Horus/Heru is pretty cool) but everything else about them is pretty dull to me. There were some cool things about them, like they seemed to have gender equality and I think were tolerant with homosexuality (very different to Judea and most of Greece) but the Persians were the same, and as far as I'm concerned they're a trillion times more fascinating. And the Egyptians weren't even the first civilization! The Sumerians had been going on long before the Egyptians started to get their ball rolling. The only ancient history we got in school was about the Egyptians too. Actually, that was the only non-Australian history I think we got...

Incan history is fascinating. That they apparently had a more disciplined army than almost anywhere in Europe and Asia at the time, were wealthier, had a polticial system similar to Socialism that actually worked and managed to build their capital city in the shape of a jaguar is just too cool to me. Though I'm more knowledgable in the North American Indians, particularly during the Colonial period up to around the American Revolution.

I think you're far more knowledgeable about ancient civilisations than me - I may be an aspiring historian, but modern history is my forte. I always WANTED to me more knowledgeable, but Ancient History wasn't offered at my high school and I already look into so much stuff independently anyway that something's bound to fall by the wayside. But I totally agree on the Persians - I'd love to do more about them if ever given the opportunity. And the Sumerians sound amazing too. The birth of civilisation is something I need to study more.

And the Incans just blow me away, every time. No matter what I read, I always find something that absolutely astonishes me. They were truly an incredible civilisation and it's so tragic what happened to them when the Spaniards rocked up.

No kidding. I think the local IGA is buggering me, they have a low price for all flavours of a brand of mini-baguettes except for the flavour I like, which is about a dollar extra. Come on, surely there shouldn't be a difference. :huh:

Since you're in a pasta mood, have you tried cooking Fettuccine Carbonara? Just bacon, onion and cream, but it's absolutely delicious homemade.

The supermarkets are all just one huge bloody rort, if you ask me. I don't get some of the bizarre price differences I've come across. My favourite is that, depending on the specials, it can often be cheaper to buy two individual packs of mint slices than one double pack.

And no, I've never tried cooking that. Sounds really, really nice though. I need to add more meals to my repertoire.

I felt the same thing when the Eagles simply managed to get into the GF. Complete pride, at least after my eyes dried. That we won the year after was just extra nice, even though after that the controversy started to heap in and all... I hope your Hurricanes never have to go through a saga like that, unless they have already.

Yeah, with sport it's all about flow. And action. That's why I find Gridiron so incredibly mind-numbing. It's just wussified Rugby for simple people. I don't doubt that intelligent people watch it, but they should stop watching it immediately!

I must admit that I largely missed the controversy you lot had. I tend to ignore that stuff in any sport really. Nothing significant has ever hit the Hurricanes, though that handbag "scandal" that the Aussie media liked mocking involved some of our players.

And I agree entirely with your second paragraph. One source of tension between Kate and I was my absolute contempt for gridiron. I tried to be respectful - but come on, what a horrible way to waste your life. At least choose a decent sport to follow, something where the action outpaces the rate of growth of the grass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom