Another So. Cal Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone heard from the BAW's or Sicy, Karmic, any of our other folks in CA this morning??? Man - 4 quakes in a week. That sucks. :madspit: And it's scary too!! :help:

I live in California (bout an hour away from Sicy). So far none of these quakes have caused anything close to major damage. The two biggest ones happened out at sea, so there was no damage to speak of, and the two smaller ones have only caused minor damage from what I've heard.

I'll say this though - having lived in Southern California, the San Francisco bay area, and Oklahoma, and having lived through earthquakes and tornados - tornados are scarier to me.

We're fine...Crescent City is 750 miles north of us but there are plenty of other Blue Crackers between here and there...:sad:

I'll second the motion about fear of tornadoes...my first wife's family lived in Fort Smith, Ark...just east of Oklahoma border,,,,we spent a month there during the same year and month that several of their smaller towns were blown away.,..my first and only trip to a storm cellar....never again, X's fingers..

Last edited:
:|

So...they're moving up the coast, and there was one in Alaska last week too. :( I think I best be getting that Earthquake Kit together because Seattle's right in the middle.

I started my "kit" 4 years ago after the 2001 quake here, but never finished it. Right now it is a big plastic box with a first aid kit and 3 flashlights and a bunch of batteries. :reject:

Mr. BAW said:

We were living in OC at the time but I grew up in the South Bay (Torrance) and that's the one that I told you may have actually been a 9 but was scaled back by "the powers that be...(freakin' insurance companies)...you see they can't write policies on an active seismic area...so if they turn the cheek, pull those #'s down a little, all is well....:shrug:

I don't know if I believe that. I just don't think the folks at CalTech and the other university Earthquake centers would lie about something like that.

The two things that caused the damage were the fact that it was a thrust fault, up down motion just seems more violent. Also, I think it was a fairly shallow quake. I remember there was a 8.something a while back that happened so deep underground it didn't cause much damage (it didn't happen here, I think Asia or SA).

Anyways, I can totally see a 6.7 earthquake causing the damage caused by Northridge.

Mr. BAW said:
We're fine...Crescent City is 750 miles north of us but there are plenty of other Blue Crackers between here and there...:sad:

I'll second the motion about fear of tornadoes...my first wife's family lived in Fort Smith, Ark...just east of Oklahoma border,,,,we spent a month there during the same year and month that several of their smaller towns were blown away.,..my first and only trip to a storm cellar....never again, X's fingers..

I agree with Mr BAW.....I'll take an earthquake rather than a tornado!
A few months back I was traveling to Boston on a business trip and the flight had a connection in Denver.....when we got there, I noticed that the bathrooms in that airport are also Tornado shelters...:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom