Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
French Luxury Store Apologizes to Oprah

PARIS (AP) - The luxury store Hermes has apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away from one of its Paris boutiques last week, saying it was closed for a public relations event when she came knocking.

The talk-show host and "an entourage" unsuccessfully tried to enter an Hermes boutique on Paris' posh Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore at 6:45 p.m. on June 14, Hermes said in a statement.

"People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store," Gayle King, a friend of Winfrey who witnessed the incident, told syndicated TV show "Entertainment Tonight." "Oprah describes it herself as `one of the most humiliating moments of her life.'"

King said it's unlikely that Winfrey will shop there again. "She's really OK. Her position is, `I will shop where people appreciate my business, and I don't believe that any longer includes Hermes,'" King said.

The store's normal closing time is 6:30 p.m., although high-end shops are known to make exceptions for celebrities. On that particular night, however, "a private public relations event was being prepared inside," the statement from Hermes said.

"Hermes regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermes is committed to giving each of its clients in the world," said the statement, released Tuesday. "Hermes expresses its sincere regrets for any misunderstanding that these circumstances could have caused."

A spokeswoman for Winfrey's Chicago-based Harpo Productions told The Associated Press Thursday the talk-show host plans to discuss her "Crash" moment when "The Oprah Winfrey Show" returns to the air in September.

"Crash" is a film dealing with race relations.

The nerve of some people, really. A store is not allowed to conduct it's normal planned business because it's supposed to cater to the whims of Oprah? Whatever! I can't believe Hermes apologized, the company was totally in the right to turn her away from a closed store. The worst part is I can see the Oprah legions boycotting the store from now on. She truly is out of touch with the rest of the world who just walks by stores that are closed and doesn't think the alert the press when they can't shop where they want. And this was "the most humiliating moment of her life," wow, that's mystifyingly sad.

she has really been held back
where does she find the strength to go on?

i am going to boycott that store
if I ever go to Europe

it could have been worse
she could have been denied dessert

Don't these people know that Oprah was the No. 1 pop icon in the list of 200 pop icons of all-time and is ranked No. 6 of the Greatest Americans of All-Time by the Discovery Channell.

Oprah is bigger than God and Jesus combined.

:|

dsmith2904 said:
"Oprah describes it herself as `one of the most humiliating moments of her life.'"

Cry me a fucking river Oprah.

Try having to go on welfare to feed your kids or begging to keep your electricity turned on. Then you can complain. Being denied the opportunity to spend more than most people make in a year is hardly worth crying about. Suck it up and go on to the next ridiculously high priced store.

Well we don't really know Oprah's side of the story yet. There may be more than what's revealed in this article. :shrug:

Re: Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

Bono's American Wife said:

Cry me a fucking river Oprah.

Try having to go on welfare to feed your kids or begging to keep your electricity turned on. Then you can complain. Being denied the opportunity to spend more than most people make in a year is hardly worth crying about. Suck it up and go on to the next ridiculously high priced store.

:yes:

Plus, what about the people planning the "private public relations" event. I don't know what it was, but they probably did a lot of hard work planning the event. What gives Oprah the right to go in and disturb something that had probably been in the works for a long time.

Her friend Gayle says there were people shopping in the store at the time and it was open.

The original story was that they said "they had been having trouble w/ North Africans" and that's why she was not let in -the public relations reason didn't emerge until later. After all, a store like Hermes would let Oprah in, but maybe not a black woman who they didn't recognize as being Oprah. If you think racism isn't rampant in stores like that, think again. The whole story isn't known yet. I'm not saying it was racism because obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.

Last edited:
If they said, "sorry no blacks in here", than Harpo has a right to be angry.
If they said, "Sorry Ms. Winfrey, the store closed at 6:30, if you check your $150,000 watch you'll see its 6:45 and we have a private event going on, please come back tomorrow", then Harpo and Ms. King should shut their yaps.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'm not saying it was racism because obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.

Me, either. Love her or hate her, Oprah is generally a fairly reasonable person which is why I will withhold judgment until I hear her side of the story.

Oh the exclusive ET story. Tom is upset too. Oh my! :rolleyes:

Anyway the story will be told this fall. I hate to say this but I really hope there is more to this story because this is just silly.

http://insider.tv.yahoo.com/celeb/insdr20050624t120300002568/index.html

[q]June 24, 2005

Oprah's Paris Put-Off

It wasn't quite a 'Pretty Woman' snub, but executives at the legendary Hermès label are still scrambling to apologize to millionaire OPRAH WINFREY after she was reportedly turned away from their Paris store on June 14. And now Oprah's pals are speaking out!

TOM CRUISE told PAT O'BRIEN Thursday night that he was "just shocked" by the incident.

"I know that those kinds of people are not the majority," he said. "For that happen to Oprah, we all love Oprah. Oprah is such a great woman. I'm sorry that happened. I'll call her tomorrow."

The high-end designer boutique publicly apologized this week for denying the TV queen, her friend GAYLE KING and others entry to the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore store when they arrived 15 minutes after its regular closing time at 6:30 p.m.

On that particular night, "a private public relations event was being prepared inside," the statement said. But Oprah's friend Gayle tells "The Insider" that there's more to the story.

"I was there, I saw it," Gayle says. "It was really, really bad. People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store. Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."

A power player worth at least $225 million, Oprah is known for her deep pockets and generosity with gifts.

"This is someone who has bought 12 Birkin bags, none of them for herself," Gayle says. "All of the Birkin bags she has bought in the past have been gifts for friends. She had a 13th on order, which has now been cancelled."

In its apology, the luxury leather and designer goods merchant said, "Hermès regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermès is committed to giving each of its clients in the world."

Gayle promises that Oprah will talk personally about the incident when her daytime talk show begins shooting in the fall.

"No one will tell this story better than Oprah," she says. "I'm sorry she's not taping now!"[/q]

Last edited:
I wished I could just get up and go "call Oprah" like Tom can. :(
I guess with the media and all, the story's bound to be twisted and turned every which way... will we ever hear the real story though? On the other hand, it really doesn't compare to some of the real news out there though...

dsmith2904 said:
"Oprah describes it herself as `one of the most humiliating moments of her life.'"

This coming from a woman who lived a good part of her life as an oppressed "colored" person. Gimme a break!

MrsSpringsteen said:

The original story was that they said "they had been having trouble w/ North Africans" and that's why she was not let in -the public relations reason didn't emerge until later. After all, a store like Hermes would let Oprah in, but maybe not a black woman who they didn't recognize as being Oprah. If you think racism isn't rampant in stores like that, think again. The whole story isn't known yet. I'm not saying it was racism because obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.

Racism could very well be a possibility--I'm gonna wait until I hear from Oprah to make any judgements. But the "North African" comment strikes me as odd, simply because the countries in North Africa are places like Syria, Morocco, Egypt--Countries where the populations are arab.

Re: Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

anitram said:

This coming from a woman who lived a good part of her life as an oppressed "colored" person. Gimme a break!

Word. You would think a woman who was sexually abused as a child, would have a better grasp on the term humiliation. Humiliation is getting mugged and beaten like I was. Not being allowed into a store after it has closed and is setting up for a private PR event is just one of life's inconveniences. Oprah needs to chill the fuck out! Sorry, but I'm not an Oprah fan. I find her self-serving and self-absorbed. And she's a horrible interviewer.

Re: Re: Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

Golightly Grrl said:

Word. You would think a woman who was sexually abused as a child, would have a better grasp on the term humiliation. Humiliation is getting mugged and beaten like I was. Not being allowed into a store after it has closed and is setting up for a private PR event is just one of life's inconveniences. Oprah needs to chill the fuck out! Sorry, but I'm not an Oprah fan. I find her self-serving and self-absorbed. And she's a horrible interviewer.

:up:

I agree completely. I find the hold she has on her fans a bit disturbing.

Remember when she was sued by the cattlemen? I actually sided with her, but then when she won, she made that huge victory speech and implied that racism was involved. It sounds like this could be another one of those declarations. I'm inclined to believe the store. :shrug:

The African-American chat-show host announced during a recent visit to South Africa that she had had a DNA test that had shown her to be a Zulu.

She also told South Africans she felt "at home" in the country.

"I went in search of my roots and had my DNA tested, and I am a Zulu," Ms Winfrey said at a seminar in Johannesburg last week.[...]"The conclusion that she had Zulu ancestry would indicate that Oprah's mitochondrial DNA lineage must have had an identical match to someone in the global database who was identified as a Zulu individual," Prof [Hilma] Soodyall said.

I believe Oprah. If you've seen her not done up for T.V she doesn't look like Oprah and I'm they didn't know who she was or they would have let her in. I did hear there were lots of other people shopping at the time. Looks like discrimination to me. If they'd known she was a famous black person they would have let her in:yes:

Why would they have let here in? The shop was closed. Simple.

There may have been racism involved as we, who knows.

I do find the melodramatics a little over the top though. If Oprah believes this is a huge tragedy then she really needs to get out more.

Back
Top Bottom