Another Reason to Dislike Oprah - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm not saying it was racism because obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.
Me, either. Love her or hate her, Oprah is generally a fairly reasonable person which is why I will withhold judgment until I hear her side of the story.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 08:56 AM

Oh the exclusive ET story. Tom is upset too. Oh my!

Anyway the story will be told this fall. I hate to say this but I really hope there is more to this story because this is just silly.

http://insider.tv.yahoo.com/celeb/in...568/index.html

[q]June 24, 2005

Oprah's Paris Put-Off

It wasn't quite a 'Pretty Woman' snub, but executives at the legendary Hermès label are still scrambling to apologize to millionaire OPRAH WINFREY after she was reportedly turned away from their Paris store on June 14. And now Oprah's pals are speaking out!

TOM CRUISE told PAT O'BRIEN Thursday night that he was "just shocked" by the incident.

"I know that those kinds of people are not the majority," he said. "For that happen to Oprah, we all love Oprah. Oprah is such a great woman. I'm sorry that happened. I'll call her tomorrow."

The high-end designer boutique publicly apologized this week for denying the TV queen, her friend GAYLE KING and others entry to the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore store when they arrived 15 minutes after its regular closing time at 6:30 p.m.

On that particular night, "a private public relations event was being prepared inside," the statement said. But Oprah's friend Gayle tells "The Insider" that there's more to the story.

"I was there, I saw it," Gayle says. "It was really, really bad. People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store. Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."

A power player worth at least $225 million, Oprah is known for her deep pockets and generosity with gifts.

"This is someone who has bought 12 Birkin bags, none of them for herself," Gayle says. "All of the Birkin bags she has bought in the past have been gifts for friends. She had a 13th on order, which has now been cancelled."

In its apology, the luxury leather and designer goods merchant said, "Hermès regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermès is committed to giving each of its clients in the world."

Gayle promises that Oprah will talk personally about the incident when her daytime talk show begins shooting in the fall.

"No one will tell this story better than Oprah," she says. "I'm sorry she's not taping now!"[/q]

Old 06-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 09:56 AM
Dear Tom Cruise,

Please shut up.

Sincerely,
Me

In regards to my earlier post about Oprah, I might have spoken too soon. It sounds like there are two different versions of what happened. Just have to wait and see I guess
Old 06-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #19
Refugee

I wished I could just get up and go "call Oprah" like Tom can.
I guess with the media and all, the story's bound to be twisted and turned every which way... will we ever hear the real story though? On the other hand, it really doesn't compare to some of the real news out there though...
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
"Oprah describes it herself as `one of the most humiliating moments of her life.'"
This coming from a woman who lived a good part of her life as an oppressed "colored" person. Gimme a break!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

The original story was that they said "they had been having trouble w/ North Africans" and that's why she was not let in -the public relations reason didn't emerge until later. After all, a store like Hermes would let Oprah in, but maybe not a black woman who they didn't recognize as being Oprah. If you think racism isn't rampant in stores like that, think again. The whole story isn't known yet. I'm not saying it was racism because obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.
Racism could very well be a possibility--I'm gonna wait until I hear from Oprah to make any judgements. But the "North African" comment strikes me as odd, simply because the countries in North Africa are places like Syria, Morocco, Egypt--Countries where the populations are arab.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

How does Tom get involved in this story?!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
Dear Tom Cruise,

Please shut up.

Sincerely,
Me

Old 06-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Re: Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

This coming from a woman who lived a good part of her life as an oppressed "colored" person. Gimme a break!
Word. You would think a woman who was sexually abused as a child, would have a better grasp on the term humiliation. Humiliation is getting mugged and beaten like I was. Not being allowed into a store after it has closed and is setting up for a private PR event is just one of life's inconveniences. Oprah needs to chill the fuck out! Sorry, but I'm not an Oprah fan. I find her self-serving and self-absorbed. And she's a horrible interviewer.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #25
New Yorker

Re: Re: Re: Another Reason to Dislike Oprah

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

Word. You would think a woman who was sexually abused as a child, would have a better grasp on the term humiliation. Humiliation is getting mugged and beaten like I was. Not being allowed into a store after it has closed and is setting up for a private PR event is just one of life's inconveniences. Oprah needs to chill the fuck out! Sorry, but I'm not an Oprah fan. I find her self-serving and self-absorbed. And she's a horrible interviewer.

I agree completely. I find the hold she has on her fans a bit disturbing.

Remember when she was sued by the cattlemen? I actually sided with her, but then when she won, she made that huge victory speech and implied that racism was involved. It sounds like this could be another one of those declarations. I'm inclined to believe the store.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 AM
besides

she doesn't even look North African
Old 06-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
The African-American chat-show host announced during a recent visit to South Africa that she had had a DNA test that had shown her to be a Zulu.

She also told South Africans she felt "at home" in the country.

"I went in search of my roots and had my DNA tested, and I am a Zulu," Ms Winfrey said at a seminar in Johannesburg last week.[...]"The conclusion that she had Zulu ancestry would indicate that Oprah's mitochondrial DNA lineage must have had an identical match to someone in the global database who was identified as a Zulu individual," Prof [Hilma] Soodyall said.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

someone at cafepress thinks the same

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.asp...lies1.24997363
Old 06-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I believe Oprah. If you've seen her not done up for T.V she doesn't look like Oprah and I'm they didn't know who she was or they would have let her in. I did hear there were lots of other people shopping at the time. Looks like discrimination to me. If they'd known she was a famous black person they would have let her in
Old 06-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Why would they have let here in? The shop was closed. Simple.

There may have been racism involved as we, who knows.

I do find the melodramatics a little over the top though. If Oprah believes this is a huge tragedy then she really needs to get out more.