Another one bites the dust...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
Mark Waugh dumped from one-day squad
SYDNEY
March 4 2002

Young guns Nathan Hauritz and Shane Watson were today called up to the Australian one-day cricket squad as Mark Waugh was dumped.

The two 20-year-olds were joined in an expanded 15-man squad by Queensland batsmen Matthew Hayden and Jimmy Maher who were recalled.

The players dropped from the team which played the last home tri series match were Test captain Steve Waugh, whose axing was announced last month, and his brother Mark.

It is the first time in 16 years that an Australian one-day squad has been named without at least one Waugh.

The squad, under new captain Ricky Ponting and vice captain Adam Gilchrist, will play the seven limited overs internationals against South Africa in South Africa and three against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe later this month through to April.

advertisement

advertisement

The selection marked a shift toward youth ahead of the World Cup defence in South Africa next year.

Watson - fresh from a century on debut for Australia in a tour match against South Africa 'A' yesterday - is an explosive all-rounder for Tasmania.

Like Watson, Queensland off spinner Hauritz was one of Australia's most accomplished junior players in the lead-up to his domestic debut last season.

Opener Hayden returned to the squad after being dumped midway through the recent tri series.

Fellow Queensland batsman Maher, 28, is back in the one-day squad for the first time since 1997-98 after dominating this season's Pura Cup and ING Cup competitions.

The lefthander is the leading run-scorer in the domestic first-class competition having notched up 1071 runs from nine matches.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said: "We think we have chosen a squad that has a good mix of youth and experience and giving the side a chance to play together in South Africa and Zimbabwe will prepare it well for next year's World Cup.

Mark Waugh, 36, is the fourth highest scorer in one day internationals with 8,500 runs at 39.35 in 242 matches including 18 centuries.

Hohns paid tribute to Waugh but said it was time for a change.

"Mark has been an outstanding player for Australia at the one-day level, one of our finest, which made the decision to leave him out of this squad a difficult one

"However, given the enviable depth of talented cricketers around the country, we feel that the time is now right to introduce the next generation of players into the side."

The Waughs, Justin Langer and Stuart MacGill are the members of the current touring party who will return to Australia at the end of the three-Test series.

Hauritz, a former Australian under-19 representative, and captain in 2000-01, attended the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy with Watson.

In domestic limited-overs cricket, Hauritz took 17 wickets at 19.76 during this season's ING Cup to finish fourth on the wicket-takers list.

"Nathan is an exciting young player who has impressed for some time," said Hohns.

"He has bowled with maturity for Queensland, and deserves his chance to play at this level.

"He will offer some added variety in the area of spin-bowling, providing us with another genuine option as we look towards the World Cup.

Maher played two tri series internations in 1997-98 and, as with Darren Lehmann, weight of runs in domestic cricket led to his recall.

"Jimmy has performed so well for the Queensland Bulls over the past couple of seasons that he has really forced his way into the Australian squad," said Hohns.

"He has continued to make runs at a rapid rate which is what we are looking for as we introduce new blood into the squad."

Hayden has made 808 one-day international runs in his 29 one-day internationals so far.

The squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist (v-capt), Jason Gillespie, Matthew Hayden, Darren Lehmann, Michael Bevan, Shane Watson, Damien Martyn, Jimmy Maher, Ian Harvey, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Andy Bichel, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Hauritz.

wtf are they trying to achieve?
giving youngsters a chance never is a bad idea, but axing 2 of the greatest players cricket has to offer ???

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

hmm as betty is still witholding the reason for Steve's dropping I am wondering if this fella on the radio was right. He said that it was cos of their ages. He also sounded an awful lot like Ray Warren.
confused.gif

After hearing this today, I'm getting to agreeing with you guys more and more. I get the feeling though that the selectors are going to make a heap more changes too, not necessarily dropping more older guys, but more to find some other magic team formula.

I'm um, stumped too.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I thought he made a hundred over night?!!!!!!

WTF?!!!
What bullshit

Apparently when asked if they were factoring south african tour form into their selections, trevor hohns replied 'definitely not'
frown.gif

Oh yeah cause silly me,i forgot, their current form wouldn't be what you'd base selection on!

Stupid wankers. Who the hell does Trevor Hohns think he is anyway?!!! He and Border and whoever bloody else it is have a lot to answer for. Oh but thats right Border was Supremo and stayed in the game far past his welcome stay so he can be an arsehole just cause he feels like playing God.

This seriously is beyond a joke.Why don't they just dump Warne and Mcgrath now so they have absolutely no experience in the side whatsoever.
rolleyes.gif

oh and another thing
Who the hell is Nathan Hauritz??!!!!!!
Sorry Mr Waugh, you suck now, we are bringing in some guy most Australians have never heard of to replace you.

I actually think Hauritz was a good selection...hes got ability, and as a bowler he wasnt the one to replace mark waugh. I think The test will be as to whether Jimmy Maher or Matt Hayden can open successfully...

personally I feel this is an insult to cricket audiences all over the world
it's not even a matter of opinion whether these new guys have the same quality as the Waugh bros., they just haven't (come on, we are talking about two of the greatest players the game ever had)

I want to see the best players any country has to offer (or these players should choose not to play themself - Allan Donald comes to mind)
having selectors destroy this game for cricket spectators all over the world just isn't acceptable

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Though its always good to have new kids around in the senior team, but at the cost of what? Something is really wrong with the ACB.This makes me sick....those two guys have a lot more left in them,specially Mark Waugh.I just hope this is a very small reminder and later they make up by saying that their old horses were rested to keep them fresh.
------------------
In this Ozland

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 03-07-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom