Another NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WildHoneyAlways said:

But it's okay when Merriman is a jagoff?
I'm just checking because his behavior has been suspect for quite some time.

No, I think his comments were ridiculous. I would never defend his comments. Just like, if I were a Pats fan, I would never defend their ridiculous poor sport behaivor. All of it is ridiculous. But if the Pats are truly champions, they should act like it, and win like champions. Instead, the won like a bunch of classless thugs. Like I said, it sucks to be a sore loser (Merriman), but its even worse to be a sore winner.

it's funny how everyone else's fans are always drunken and classless... i think we've had this debate enough to know that everyone's fans are drunken and classless at times. the words "drunken" and "classy" don't really go together, anyways.

secondly... ladanian tomlinson is a great great player, but really, he can scratch my ass. ok let's figure this out... you're pissed because someone mocked the taunting dance of your loudmouth, 'roided up linebacker? right. if you should be pissed at anyone, it should be the loudmouth, 'roided up linebacker. his dance is a taunt to begin with. it's like when the giants were doing that jumpshot thing after every big defensive play. they deserved to have it shoved in their face when they sucked. you get what you ask for, and shawne merriman asked to have his spasmatic dance mocked after that game.

you are semi-right about one thing... the chargers on the whole have more talented players than the patriots... but as far as the "better team," there is no better team in perhaps all of professional sports than the new england patriots. they may not have the best talent, but they are a TEAM. and as long as brady and belichick are there, they'll always have a chance.

there's two franchises in all of sport that i truly envy... the pats and the spurs. they always have cap flexability, they always have good drafts, they don't always have the best talent, but they always have a chance to win it all when it's all said and done.

over to the NFC... the bears looked like crap, but they've looked like "crap" all year and continue to win anyways. i'll take looking like crap and winning over looking great and losing any day. that said... i won't be stunned if they get to the super bowl, but i will be if they win it.

and davec... let's lay off the saints/katrina thing. how is it not a story? i was at a bar in manhattan saturday and there was a group of people from new orleans there, decked out in saints gear. we talked to them for a while and all they had to say was how having the saints doing so well has been such a great distraction for them, something to root for when there's not much else to root for... something to rally around. it IS a great story.

Hewson said:
Thats a great point... I guess San Diegans and Charger players don't like the taste of their own medicine (which must be sour graped flavor).

What kind of celebration do we think Merriman would have done had the Chargers won?

I have no idea what kind of celebration he would have done, but I would hope LT could have put a lid on him if he acted in anyway like the Pats. If not, and if he acted like the "sore winner" Pats, I sure as hell wouldn't be here defending him. He gives the Chargers a bad name, and I wish he would learn to shut his trap. Maybe after the loss yesterday, he will (I hope!)

Headache in a Suitcase said:

you are semi-right about one thing... the chargers on the whole have more talented players than the patriots... but as far as the "better team," there is no better team in perhaps all of professional sports than the new england patriots. they may not have the best talent, but they are a TEAM. and as long as brady and belichick are there, they'll always have a chance.

True, true, I never said I felt the Chargers deserved to win, they absolutely didn't - the beat themselves with all their stupid errors, and the Pats consistently found a way to capitalize on the errors. So, the Pats were the better team yesterday. I guess I misspoke, I felt like the Chargers should have won, but we beat ourselves. That's all I meant. I don't think the Chargers deserved to win with the way the played.

But, if I were a Pats fan, I would be thanking the football Gods for the win, because they didn't look all that great for a team headed to the Championship game. Neither team looked great yesterday.

Kinsa said:

He gives the Chargers a bad name, and I wish he would learn to shut his trap. Maybe after the loss yesterday, he will (I hope!)
Now you see my point and maybe see what the Pats players were doing. If The Chargers had approached the game with quite class and confidence, they'd have received nothing but handshakes and well wishes at games end. Ask the Colts and 2004 Steelers(not so much the 2001 version who already booked their hotel rooms in N'awlins, showing as much disrespect for the Pats as SD did leading up to yesterday)...2 teams who have been defeated by the Pats in recent years, but who have approched the games without shooting their mouths and at the end of the games, the teams shake hands and show respect.

Show it before the game, and win or lose you'll receive it after...act like an ass before the game, you get what you deserve.(Especially when you don't back it up on the field...the only "Lights Out" yesterday was Pats OT Matt Light taking Merriman completely Out of the game).

WildHoneyAlways said:

Hey, I'll totally admit that some Bear fans are drunken, classless idiots. After all they are Cub and White Sox fans too. :wink:

Great post headache. :up:

Actually, I don't think all other teams fans are drunk and classless - before, I would have reserved this description for Raiders' fans (who would probably take that title with pride:wink: ), all the other teams fans have been fine, and I have been to hundreds of games, including the last time the Chargers were in the playoffs.

Yesterday was a new experience for me, not one I expected at all, especially from a team who has been so dominate for so long, I mean, what are the Pats fans so pissed off about - they have had the greatest team for the better part of a decade!! I don't get it.

Kinsa said:

But, if I were a Pats fan, I would be thanking the football Gods for the win, because they didn't look all that great for a team headed to the Championship game. Neither team looked great yesterday.
And the Colts, at least the vaunted passing game, has looked pedestrian in both playoff games...the Bears were shaky yesterday and the Saints had their difficulties in beating the Eagles, but all found a way to advance.
Many Pats fans felt that the Pats chances were very good yeaterday given Schottenheimer's history and that of Belichick and Brady...like Headache said, SD has wonderful individual talent, they can enjoy Honolulu with 4 weeks to pack, the Pats play as a team and prefer Superbowls to pro bowls.

Hewson said:
Now you see my point and maybe see what the Pats players were doing. If The Chargers had approached the game with quite class and confidence, they'd have received nothing but handshakes and well wishes at games end. Ask the Colts and 2004 Steelers(not so much the 2001 version who already booked their hotel rooms in N'awlins, showing as much disrespect for the Pats as SD did leading up to yesterday)...2 teams who have been defeated by the Pats in recent years, but who have approched the games without shooting their mouths and at the end of the games, the teams shake hands and show respect.

Show it before the game, and win or lose you'll receive it after...act like an ass before the game, you get what you deserve.(Especially when you don't back it up on the field...the only "Lights Out" yesterday was Pats OT Matt Light taking Merriman completely Out of the game).

But why defend them? Is this seriously how you think your players should act????

Kinsa said:

But why defend them? Is this seriously how you think your players should act????
You don't get what I'm saying...should they act that way, no. Nobody should. But in this case I understand the reason behind it, and Mr. Merriman single-handedly brought it on his team and fans.

OK, not single-handedly, the team officials and mayor setting the time and date for the SuperBowl victory parade probably helped a bit too.

ETA: Have you never seen another team or fan mock its opponent, say like a Braves' opponent mocking the Tomahawk Chop after hitting a walk off HR, or the example Headache already listed of Giants' opponents mocking their Strahan Jump Shot action?
Act obnoxious all year long and disrespect every opponent, and eventually you get it returned in kind.

Last edited:
when someone does a stupid, idiotic taunting dance, makes it their trademark, does it so often that you just can't get away from it... yes... they deserve to have that dance shoved right in their face, and i have no problem with it whatsoever.

i'm a giants fan... when the texans and cowboys and everyone else were doing the fadeaway jumpshots after torching the giants D, i was disgusted... not at the classless acts of the other teams, at how stupid my own team was to give them that ammo to shove back in their faces in the first place.

you're going to taunt, fine... back it up, or expect it to be shoved in your face when you don't. tomlinson should be pissed at merriman, not the patriots.

And one last interesting comment from the world of sportswriters:

CHARGERS HAVE A SHORT MEMORY

Amid complaints from running back LaDainian Tomlinson and other members of the San Diego Chargers that the New England Patriots celebrated too fervently their unlikely victory over the 14-2 Bolts on Sunday, we've been reminded of the Chargers reaction to a similarly unlikely win from a year ago.

In New England.

After thumping the Pats by the score of 41-17 and shattering the team's 21-game home winning streak, the Chargers were not exactly humble.

"That's a [butt]-whipping," said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in an article penned by Tom Curran, who at the time wrote for the Providence Journal and who now works for NBCSports.com.

Cornerback Drayton Florence (or is it Florence Drayton?) was less tactful: "F--k New England and their team," he said, before turning to a "collection of onlookers" and adding: "Get the look of shock off your faces. Don't be shocked. We beat your [butt]."

So, you know, maybe a few of the Pats were remembering the way that the Chargers handled themselves in 2005.

And if L.T. is going to get bent out of shape because his opponents do this kind of stuff, we'd like to hear what he's been doing to persuade his teammates not to act that way, either.

Frankly, there aren't many NFL teams that can claim to be, top to bottom, the modern-day equivalent of Fred Blassie. So none of them should ever be bitching when another squad does what they've surely done themselves at some point in the not-so-distant past

Headache in a Suitcase said:
when someone does a stupid, idiotic taunting dance, makes it their trademark, does it so often that you just can't get away from it... yes... they deserve to have that dance shoved right in their face, and i have no problem with it whatsoever.

i'm a giants fan... when the texans and cowboys and everyone else were doing the fadeaway jumpshots after torching the giants D, i was disgusted... not at the classless acts of the other teams, at how stupid my own team was to give them that ammo to shove back in their faces in the first place.

you're going to taunt, fine... back it up, or expect it to be shoved in your face when you don't. tomlinson should be pissed at merriman, not the patriots.

I see your point - I have always hated Merriman and think he really drags the Chargers down, because the rest of the players are so not "that guy". I would never defend his actions, nor would I understand or try to justify if the Chargers tried to make a losing team feel even more like a loser. I just think its totally ridiculous behaivor, on both sides.

I do feel sorry for LT though. I think he totally overreacted, out of frustration, but I do understand his frustration - imagine being that talented, working that hard, and being stuck on a team that just can't manage to win the big games. It would suck. Big Time.
(although in the grand scheme of things, I do recognize this is all "just a game", and not worth getting worked up over.)

I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill here. If every player was named classless by imitating another player on an opposite team it would be a small squad. I think less classless is for LT not to shack they hand of a man who used to be his teammate (Reche Cladwell) push over him and walk away. I just don;t think the actions of a few players, full of adreleline, celebrating a hard fought victory should deam a whole team classless. And for LT to say Bellichick is classless is just asinine.

358582264_ac9aec30d4_o.jpg

Hewson said:
And one last interesting comment from the world of sportswriters:

You are not actually comparing comments made after a game to what the Pats did yesterday are you? And you are claiming that you are not trying to defend their behaivor?:rolleyes: Then, stop trying.

I would never defend the Chargers when they act in any way that is disrespectful to the other team, I just think it is ridiculous. I am sure you will be able to find a ton of examples of Chargers players doing this, so please, save yourself the effort. I am sure they are there, it is the nature of sports. That doesn't make what the Pats did any better, though.

Hewson said:
This is "I'm a classy guy" Ladanian Tomlinson...nice shirt pal.

Please defend this Kinsa or Ron Burgundy:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/culot4/LTRaiders.jpg

A Raiders sucks shirt? That's the best you can do?? Of course, the Raiders/Chargers rivalry is one of the longest and heated in NFL history, its what makes the games fun, the build up, the crazy Raider fans, the "raiders/Chargers suck" merchandise, etc. That's not the same as the way the Pats acted AFTER winning yesterday.

Anyways, you see it your way, I'll see it mine, and let's just agree to disagree. Much Respect to the Pats for continuing their winning streak in the playoffs. Now I hope the Colts go and kick their butts next weekend!! :wink: (even though I don't think they will)

speaking of having your own taunts shoved back in your face...

DaveC said:
Thoughts on this weekend:

- Man, did I ever call the Indy-Baltimore game or what? "Indy doesn't stand a chance, unless this game somehow turns into a field goal battle."
- Not going for it on 4th and 15 in the playoffs with 2 minutes left and down by 3 is unacceptable. It's the PLAYOFFS. I don't think Andy Reid realized that. This is the first time I've ever wanted him outright fired. You don't give the ball to a team that's been running all over your defense all game and bet you can stop them. Even Art Shell isn't that stupid.
- Can we PLEASE shut up about Hurrican Katrina during Saints games? It was bad, and the team winning is good...we realize this. You dont have to remind us every time Drew Brees takes a snap: "And Brees throws the ball through the end zone, oh what a fantastic story for New Orleans!"
- A Pats-Colts AFC Championship and a Bears-Saints is the very last thing I was hoping for. Now we won't hear anything but Peyton and Katrina and Rex Grossman for the rest of the week. :yuck:
- That being said, I have no idea who to root for from now on. I can't cheer for the Patriots - I'd stop watching football before that would ever happen. But I can't root for Peyton Manning in the playoffs. That's like rooting for Barbaro to win the 2007 Kentucky Derby. Cheering for the Bears is no good either, since they don't deserve to be here in the first place (a QB has never been more aptly named for his playing style than Grossman). And I want New Orleans to lose so I don't have to keep hearing about god-damned Katrina.

This is like picking your favourite infectious disease and rooting for a pandemic.

So, I'm going to hop on the Saints bandwagon, simply because it's the lesser of all evils, and only based on the fact that keeping New Orleans in the national eye might FINALLY get something done in that city to help it rebuild. I know I'm going to have to listen to "this is such great healing for the city of New Orleans" bullshit for the next three weeks, but at least somebody might pay attention to the Lower 9th Ward if they stay in.

But probably not. Kanye West was right, after all.

Think about it, these are our possible superbowl matchups:
- Chicago vs. Indy
- Chicago vs. New England
- New Orleans vs. Indy
- New Orleans vs. New England

God damn, these playoffs suck. :|

ETA: and now I have to change my avatar, three weeks before I was planning on it. :sad:

crybaby.jpg

:wink:

Kinsa said:

You are not actually comparing comments made after a game to what the Pats did yesterday are you? And you are claiming that you are not trying to defend their behaivor?:rolleyes: Then, stop trying.

I would never defend the Chargers when they act in any way that is disrespectful to the other team, I just think it is ridiculous. I am sure you will be able to find a ton of examples of Chargers players doing this, so please, save yourself the effort. I am sure they are there, it is the nature of sports. That doesn't make what the Pats did any better, though.

Well, then in the word of Ron Burgundy,
Agree to disagree.

Trash talk is trash talk. I wasn't aware of the many different levels of disrespect when it came to trash talk/mocking an opponent. The Chargers have acted poorly in the past. Get over it. The Patriots acted poorly yesterday. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom