Another "never sell out" artist sells out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnFire

Acrobat
I'm not a huge The The fan but I was quite surprised to hear a chessy, sachrine version of "This is the day" accompany a Dockers ad. They could have at least used Matt Johnson's voice for the ad.

Soul Mining was the first CD I bought back in the days when CD's replaced scratchy vinyl (yes, I'm that old). Oh well, I hope he got a good price and at least we still have "Uncertain Smile".

This is the guy that railed against Thatcherism in the 80's right?

Interesting, I keep meaning to get the "Infected" album but never get around to it.

Haha, look at my new sig, where the hell did that come from?? :eek:

Last edited:
financeguy said:
This is the guy that railed against Thatcherism in the 80's right?

That's the guy, although I had forgotten about his political activism. I'll bet that feels like a long time ago, especially if your British.

He's one of those guys that has individual songs I can't get enough of but I can't seem to listen to an album all the way through. I'm looking to pick up Dusk soon though.

I kept wondering why that song sounded so familiar -- it's because I downloaded it off Stereogum when he was sharing songs that were in commercials, I think. I didn't like it. :der:

Dinosaur band threads making it tough to find the Coldplay threads, are they?

OMIGOD!!! I MEAN WHO CARES WHAT SOME OLD FART FROM THE 80's IS UP TO NOW!!!! LISTEN TO BRITNEY!!!!!

I'm not saying I don't care about The The, I don't care about hearing that some band "sold out", which is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. It's ruined the industry, by making bands afraid of "selling out" so they avoid it by either making the exact same music they always have, avoiding the public like hermits, or making "hardcore music" that makes sense to no one but them.

In my opinion, the radio is just one big advertisement anyway, so if a band puts their song on there, are they selling out? Perhaps, because hey; everyone listens to the radio, just like everyone watches the Superbowl and Grammy's.

Give me a break.

LemonMelon said:
I'm not saying I don't care about The The, I don't care about hearing that some band "sold out", which is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. It's ruined the industry, by making bands afraid of "selling out" so they avoid it by either making the exact same music they always have, avoiding the public like hermits, or making "hardcore music" that makes sense to no one but them.

In my opinion, the radio is just one big advertisement anyway, so if a band puts their song on there, are they selling out? Perhaps, because hey; everyone listens to the radio, just like everyone watches the Superbowl and Grammy's.

Give me a break.

Other than the part about everybody listening to the radio and watching the Super Bowl and Grammy's, I don't find anything to disagree with (I only do one of the three). It's just that if you've presented yourself to the world as a anti-corproate facist dragon slayer who creates fiercely independed music you should expect criticism if you let someone turn your song into a Hallmark card.

Whatever though, I didn't expect this to get more than a couple of posts and then quickly fade to the back pages.

Back
Top Bottom