another day of ugliness for the NHL...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
Gary Roberts hit on Kenny Jonsson, while not vicious, was certainly reckless, catching him in a very vulerable situation, I'm not saying this was a dirty play, but the results are very ugly nonetheless -- 8th concussion of Jonsson's career, you have to wonder if the talented defenseman's career is nearing the end...

meanwhile Darcy Tucker's submarine hit of Michael Peca was without question dirty -- and now he is done for the season

Sundin, Peca, Jonsson, Zednik...

the body count continues...

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Gary Roberts hit on Kenny Jonsson, while not vicious, was certainly reckless, catching him in a very vulerable situation, I'm not saying this was a dirty play, but the results are very ugly nonetheless -- 8th concussion of Jonsson's career, you have to wonder if the talented defenseman's career is nearing the end...

meanwhile Darcy Tucker's submarine hit of Michael Peca was without question dirty -- and now he is done for the season

I agree, physical play is part of the NHL, but it is going to far.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

I'm not saying this was a dirty play, but the results are very ugly nonetheless -- 8th concussion of Jonsson's career, you have to wonder if the talented defenseman's career is nearing the end...

just got back from the game wanderer(yes i came home to use my dads tix and play golf
biggrin.gif
)

anyway here was my percepion from about 20 rows up:

first of all we loudly cheered the american anthem
smile.gif
but my american mom was watching(i think) so maybe that's why i was 'good'

leafs open 2 to 0 lead. playing very well, hitting everyhing in sigh, no o much tomfoolery going on. isles started the rough play. webb et al saw they were already down by two and looked for a spark, fair enough any team would do it in the situation but expect reciprocal action. and reciprocal action came:

the roberts hit: gary knew what he was doing. BUT it happens every 10 minutes in the NHL and there was nothing exceptional about his hit in particular, it was a boarding call, in my opinion only deserving of 2 minutes, but i have not seen the replay. certainly no criticism is due on roberts part. he did something wholly not irregular in the nhl, if jonsson is susceptible to concussions he should second guess his decision to be out there. roberts hit was nothing outside of the regular course of a game.

from this point on, naturally, the game is pretty chippy. exchange goals and then the tucker hit:

tucker's hit was legal. last time i checked there wasn't anything against a hip check and that's all it was, however, tucker knew he was going in there with the intent of damaging peca. once again nothing extraordinary in the hit, just playoff action and peca lands funny, unfortunate for the game: most definetely, good for the leafs: most definetely. but you know what peca had his stick hacking away at mccabe all night. he could have easily broken somebodies wrist and everyone in toronto would have been complaining.

in my opinion alls fair is fair. if peca is gonna skate around dishing it out, he had better be ready to take it, i for one hope he is back cause he is great to watch. as for jonnson, the penalty that roberts got was what he deserved, 5 minutes for boarding, nothing more. such is the way of playoff hockey.

imo

I never said Peca was a saint, that's not the issue here, it was a low hip check with the intent to injure, that's really all you need to know

I never said Peca was a saint, that's not the issue here, it was a low hip check with the intent to injure, that's really all you need to know

could be conceived of as being low. is peca gone, have they said yet? i haven't heard anything.

this is the playoffs and people get injured. tonight two tough hits were layed and the 'victims' were peca and jonsson. end of story. too bad they got injured. time is ticking for a steve webb 'leaving the feet' hit to take a maple leaf down, i'm hoping that they can escape the series before that happens.

i know it sounds harsh but maple leaf leanings aside i find it hard to find suspendable fault in either hit.

i eagerly await milbury's presser to tell the officials off.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-27-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
just got back from the game wanderer(yes i came home to use my dads tix and play golf
biggrin.gif
)

anyway here was my percepion from about 20 rows up:

first of all we loudly cheered the american anthem
smile.gif
but my american mom was watching(i think) so maybe that's why i was 'good'

leafs open 2 to 0 lead. playing very well, hitting everyhing in sigh, no o much tomfoolery going on. isles started the rough play. webb et al saw they were already down by two and looked for a spark, fair enough any team would do it in the situation but expect reciprocal action. and reciprocal action came:

the roberts hit: gary knew what he was doing. BUT it happens every 10 minutes in the NHL and there was nothing exceptional about his hit in particular, it was a boarding call, in my opinion only deserving of 2 minutes, but i have not seen the replay. certainly no criticism is due on roberts part. he did something wholly not irregular in the nhl, if jonsson is susceptible to concussions he should second guess his decision to be out there. roberts hit was nothing outside of the regular course of a game.

from this point on, naturally, the game is pretty chippy. exchange goals and then the tucker hit:

tucker's hit was legal. last time i checked there wasn't anything against a hip check and that's all it was, however, tucker knew he was going in there with the intent of damaging peca. once again nothing extraordinary in the hit, just playoff action and peca lands funny, unfortunate for the game: most definetely, good for the leafs: most definetely. but you know what peca had his stick hacking away at mccabe all night. he could have easily broken somebodies wrist and everyone in toronto would have been complaining.

in my opinion alls fair is fair. if peca is gonna skate around dishing it out, he had better be ready to take it, i for one hope he is back cause he is great to watch. as for jonnson, the penalty that roberts got was what he deserved, 5 minutes for boarding, nothing more. such is the way of playoff hockey.

imo

You sound like a biased Leafs fan. Even worse, you sound like that neanderthal coach, Pat Quinn. Let me put this in caps to get the point across.

ROBERTS HIT JONSSON FROM BEHIND WITH FULL FORCE UTILIZING HIS HANDS AND ARMS WHICH IS ILLEGAL. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF THE GAME, ACCORDING TO THE RULES. PERIOD. JONSSON'S SUSEPTIBILITY TO CONCUSSIONS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO W/THE FACT THAT ROBERTS WENT IN FAST, HARD AND FROM BEHIND. A CHECK IS LEGALLY DELIVERED WITH THE SHOULDERS FIRST, NOT THE ARMS. ALTHOUGH JONSSON PUT HIMSELF IN AN AWKWARD POSITION, ROBERTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF THE GAME. END OF STORY.

AS FOR THE TUCKER HIT: TO BE HONEST, IT WAS A LITTLE LOW, BUT NOT THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. DARIUS KASPARITUS USED TO GET CHEERED ALL THE TIME BY ISLES FANS WHEN HE DELIVERED SIMILAR HITS SO I DONT WANT TO BE HYPOCRITICAL. PECA ALSO MUST EXPECT HITS SINCE HE ALWAYS DISHES IT OUT AND SINCE HE ANTAGONIZED TUCKER IN THE PAPERS.

With that said, it is rather pathetic that the Leafs had to resort to taking out the Isles best players in order to win. We could argue about the hits all day and not get anywhere. However, the leaf knew what they were doing when they hit the Isles most best 2-way player in Peca and their best defensive player in Jonsson.

To be fair, Steve Webb has left his skates when making hits all series long and should have been penalized.

McCabe used his stick to spear Cairs at the end of the game, Corson constantly takes runs at Osgood and punched Yashin in the face last night. It is for these reasons and more why the leafs are known as the dirtiest team in the NHL.

As for the anthem: I have been to both gamesTat the Nassau Coliseum(and will be at game 6 on Sunday) and some people booed the Canadian National Anthem. That is unacceptable and I condem it. Canada is America's biggest ally and I just hope(and optimistically think) that many of the booing fans were booing the Leafs and not Canada. Lets face it: many people in the world are ignorant and many NHL fans(especially when drunk) are even more ignorant. The only way to resolve this is to not act in such an ignorant manner.

To clarify, I want to acknowledge that the Isles have only themselves to blame for the loss. They came out playing well and then let up when Peca went down. Losing stinks and the leafs were expected to win b/c they are slightly better. However, losing to a team that resorts to dirty play b/c they are frustrated b/c Sundin is out and losing w/out my(Isles) best players is very sad.

And people wonder why(in the US) hockey is and probably always will be a fourth-rate sport.

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-27-2002).]

i eagerly await milbury's presser to tell the officials off.

Hey, lets not throw stones if we live in glass houses here. Yes, Milbury is outspoken and often makes insulting and ridiculous statements. However, Pat Quinn is a joke when it comes to making stupid remarks. Some of his explanations are comical(as are Milbury's) and insulting to human intelligence. He also would have been destroyed in Toronto if the Leafs lossed last night and if they loss the series. He was saved by his players. The Leafs win b/c of their players. In fact, Quinn has cleary hindered the Leafs in this series with his gaffs.

Originally posted by MBH:
You sound like a biased Leafs fan.
you're right i am. but even biased leafs fans have points and they can seperate themselves from the game. thus, i invite you to read my opinion. if you disagree, so be it. i like the leafs and you like the isles. please refrain from forcing your 'point' down my throat. people have varying opinions on these issues. two of those people are obviously you and i. hence there is not much else to do but express such, discuss and call it a night.
the rule states that a player who executes a hit such as roberts' should be given a match penalty if the 'victim' shows marked facial damage. that is obviously ridiculous in light of jonsson's situation. adhering strictly to that definition, i guess roberts shouldn't be tossed. imo a value judgement could have easily been made that obviously jonsson has been effected and roberts could have been tossed. read the rule(correctly) and watch the play.

Let me put this in caps to get the point across:
ROBERTS HIT JONSSON FROM BEHIND WITH FULL FORCE UTILIZING HIS HANDS AND ARMS WHICH IS ILLEGAL. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF THE GAME, ACCORDING TO THE RULES. PERIOD. JONSSON'S SUSEPTIBILITY TO CONCUSSIONS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO W/THE FACT THAT ROBERTS WENT IN FAST, HARD AND FROM BEHIND. A CHECK IS LEGALLY DELIVERED WITH THE SHOULDERS FIRST, NOT THE ARMS. ALTHOUGH JONSSON PUT HIMSELF IN AN AWKWARD POSITION, ROBERTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF THE GAME. END OF STORY.

AS FOR THE TUCKER HIT: TO BE HONEST, IT WAS A LITTLE LOW, BUT NOT THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. DARIUS KASPARITUS USED TO GET CHEERED ALL THE TIME BY ISLES FANS WHEN HE DELIVERED SIMILAR HITS SO I DONT WANT TO BE HYPOCRITICAL. PECA ALSO MUST EXPECT HITS SINCE HE ALWAYS DISHES IT OUT AND SINCE HE ANTAGONIZED TUCKER IN THE PAPERS.

thank you for your thoughtfulness in assuming my stupidity and the neccissity to post in caps. please allow me to state my dislike for such as i find it rude, and hence will not be responding to
any of your posts written in the same manner. you strike me as more intelligent than that.

roberts hit jonsson from behind with full force. jonsson appears to have known that he was coming according to the general definition, in other words he appears to turn his head and is generally thought to have seen the guy. roberts used his forearm to finish the check on jonsson. this is punishable by a 2 minute minor or a 5 minute major in event of a more serious hit, which i already discussed above. that is what roberts got, he reasonably should have got the match but that was the referees call and remember he is limited by the rule of facial damage.

steve webb executed a very similar hit in the second or third period on bryan mccabe. bryan mccabe was uninjured and no one is talking about that hit.

With that said, it is rather pathetic that the Leafs had to resort to taking out the Isles best players in order to win. We could argue about the hits all day and not get anywhere. However, the leaf knew what they were doing when they hit the Isles most best 2-way player in Peca and their best defensive player in Jonsson.

To be fair, Steve Webb has left his skates when making hits all series long and should have been penalized.

McCabe used his stick to spear Cairs at the end of the game, Corson constantly takes runs at Osgood and punched Yashin in the face last night. It is for these reasons and more why the leafs are known as the dirtiest team in the NHL.

As for the anthem: I have been to both gamesTat the Nassau Coliseum(and will be at game 6 on Sunday) and some people booed the Canadian National Anthem. That is unacceptable and I condem it. Canada is America's biggest ally and I just hope(and optimistically think) that many of the booing fans were booing the Leafs and not Canada. Lets face it: many people in the world are ignorant and many NHL fans(especially when drunk) are even more ignorant. The only way to resolve this is to not act in such an ignorant manner.

To clarify, I want to acknowledge that the Isles have only themselves to blame for the loss. They came out playing well and then let up when Peca went down. Losing stinks and the leafs were expected to win b/c they are slightly better. However, losing to a team that resorts to dirty play b/c they are frustrated b/c Sundin is out and losing w/out my(Isles) best players is very sad.

And people wonder why(in the US) hockey is and probably always will be a fourth-rate sport.

well i know people in the league and was unaware my leafs were the dirtiest. i will carry forth with that mindset. don't blame roberts or tucker for what they're doing. i don't personally blame webb for anything. let me explain why: the hits which we are debating questionably require a penalty. but they are no doubt dangerous. no one knows this better than the maple leafs alyn macauley. alyn is a nice guy and i've met him a few times. very nice gentleman. when sheldon souray drove alyn into the boards 26 months ago it was considered by all to be a completely legal hit. unfortunately for macaulay he didn't play again for quite some time. it is a mindset that has overcome the people within the nhl, players, coaches, and the fans. gary roberts thought his hit was ok because i cheer for such hits, quinn likes to see hard hits. well of course they are dangerous and i often wonder how far we will push the limits before someone is lost. in life and the sport. this is a mindset that has to be changed from the top and the bottom so that we can scale back the level of violence in the game, whether it be webb leaving his feet or domi's utter stupidtiy last postseason or this season's example: kyle maclaren on zednik.

all of your examples(spearing, roughing) are symptomatic of playoff hockey. it's nothing out of the ordinary.

oh and thank you for the update on the anthem. it was lotsa fun being in acc and cheering the anthems. enjoy tommorow nights game.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-27-2002).]

Hey, lets not throw stones if we live in glass houses here.

pat quinn is a great coach. he definetely has his drawbacks in that he can be ignorant and stubborn. but overall players generally enjoy playing for quinner. he made an honest and stupid mistake on two consecutive nights. one they won, the other they narrowly lost(though the reason why could be attributed to many, many factors
wink.gif
). leafs fans thank you for your opinion on what should happen to quinn. i for one am quite happy with him. though they are certainly not there soley because of quinn they wouldn't be there without him. i am a leafs fan. i like the guys that make up the team and will be disappointed when/if they get knocked out of the playoffs. MBH, i grew up with this team and my father taking me to maple leaf gardens on saturday nights to watch wendel clark and the very few other leaf greats of the time
wink.gif
. obviously these experiences can cloud judgement but i feel i am able to sufficiently detach myself from such. corson, tucker, webb, peca. they are all on the same mission. they want the cup. they play playoff hockey which tends to be rough. if jonsson and peca hadn't gone down it might have been mccabe and mogilny. it is certainly unfortunate that this is the mindset with which the game is played as kenny jonsson will in all likelihood forever be shadowed by that hit.

the events, to me, are certainly not outstanding or unbelieveable. it sounds crude, but it happens in the playoffs.

koba you sound way too happy and bubbly, it should be illegal!
wink.gif

I only saw the Jonsson hit (too busy kissing my boys good-bye) and there was no doubt that it was a dirty hit, but the unfortunately hits like that happen all the time in the NHL, it just happens that this time it is doled out to a guy who is unfortunately very susceptible to concussions. Basically, it was uncalled for, however I don't think it was with specifically viscious intent to end Jonsson's career, and we also have to realize that this is playoff hockey and these guys are going to fight to get a physical and/or mental edge in whatever way they can. Or would we rather all the series end up as boring and lackluster as the Flyers-Sens??
biggrin.gif

My call is the Sens are gonna get creamed in the next round, as Morganti said, the playoffs haven't even started for them yet.

------------------
tomorrow's just an excuse away
so I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own...

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
koba you sound way too happy and bubbly, it should be illegal!
wink.gif

I only saw the Jonsson hit (too busy kissing my boys good-bye) and there was no doubt that it was a dirty hit, but the unfortunately hits like that happen all the time in the NHL, it just happens that this time it is doled out to a guy who is unfortunately very susceptible to concussions. Basically, it was uncalled for, however I don't think it was with specifically viscious intent to end Jonsson's career, and we also have to realize that this is playoff hockey and these guys are going to fight to get a physical and/or mental edge in whatever way they can. Or would we rather all the series end up as boring and lackluster as the Flyers-Sens??
biggrin.gif

My call is the Sens are gonna get creamed in the next round, as Morganti said, the playoffs haven't even started for them yet.

i was slightly 'cheered up' when i posted initially after a day of golf and watching my maple leafs
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

exactly. i agree with you 99% on your opinion on the hit
wink.gif

i think the sens might be dangerous. any team with a hot goalie is gonna be a threat and thats just what lalime is now.

they also may experience a letdown now that they got the monkey off thier back just by winning a series.

Koba, honestly, and I don't mean to put Lalime down because he played an excellent series, but ANY goalie is hot against the Flyers in the playoffs. oh well, guess we'll see.

totally off-topic but too bad about Vancouver, I think if Skudra hadn't been so rattled from that questionable goal, he mighta stopped Hull, making it an entirely different game. plus I love watching a team that just doesn't quit until it's over! they deserved to go farther, but such is life
frown.gif

anyhow, GO ISLANDERS!!
sorry just had to do that
biggrin.gif

that is true. there is a common fear in ottawa that the sens still haven't played a real playoff game and their first whether its the isles, bruins, canes or whoever is going to be a shock.

MBH, if the tape which laviolette says he has showing corson 'kicking' cairns does exist, i'm sure we can both agree that is dirty.

and from what i've read the isles fans were not very friendly last nite: booing the anthem, chanting USA during it, and shame on the coliseum staff and the nhl officials for allowing tucker and the fans to bark at one another in the box.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-29-2002).]

pat quinn is a great coach. he definetely has his drawbacks in that he can be ignorant and stubborn. but overall players generally enjoy playing for quinner. he made an honest and stupid mistake on two consecutive nights. one they won, the other they narrowly lost(though the reason why could be attributed to many, many factors
wink.gif
). leafs fans thank you for your opinion on what should happen to quinn. i for one am quite happy with him. though they are certainly not there soley because of quinn they wouldn't be there without him. i am a leafs fan. i like the guys that make up the team and will be disappointed when/if they get knocked out of the playoffs. MBH, i grew up with this team and my father taking me to maple leaf gardens on saturday nights to watch wendel clark and the very few other leaf greats of the time
wink.gif
. obviously these experiences can cloud judgement but i feel i am able to sufficiently detach myself from such. corson, tucker, webb, peca. they are all on the same mission. they want the cup. they play playoff hockey which tends to be rough. if jonsson and peca hadn't gone down it might have been mccabe and mogilny. it is certainly unfortunate that this is the mindset with which the game is played as kenny jonsson will in all likelihood forever be shadowed by that hit.

the events, to me, are certainly not outstanding or unbelieveable. it sounds crude, but it happens in the playoffs.

I'm sorry if you found the capitalization rude or condescending. The frustration of losing 2 top players for a team that I follow passionately(attended 25+ games this yr. alone) got the best of me.

Your frequent mention of rough play, everyone hits in the NHL and your attitude that the events are not unbelievable or outstanding are not only inaccurate, but insulting. I acknowledged that Webb et al have performed some questionable and/or dirty plays and you could do the same. Ignorance and fans speaking w/their heart is a frustrating exercise. Objectivity is all but lost in sports.

As for Jonsson: the rule states that a player is to be thrown out(match penalty) of the game if the player that is hit shows a HEAD or Neck injury.

Jonsson was down on the ice barely conscious for approximately 5 minutes and his movement was minimal. That is clear evidence of an injury to the head. Roberts should have been tossed. In fact, the NHL, on Saturday, acknowledged that Roberts should have been tossed. It is now water under the bridge. In fact, I am surprised that Roberts dished out that hit since he is a good veteran player and suffered a similar hit a few years back.

Remember, just b/c it is playoff hockey, does not mean that violent play is acceptable by ANY team.

IMA, the 3 game suspension of McClaren is a joke. He should be banned for the rest of the playoffs, fined a significant sum and banned for the 1st 15 games of next season. The stricter the penalty, the less dirty play may occur. Without these penalties, this garbage will continue....

in either game 3 or 4 in new york, i remember at the end when tucker was in the penalty box he had the most demonic expression on his face, it disappointed and scared me. im serious. peca was talking to the ref about some penalties and tucker was irate. he seriously looked like charlie manson.

and then i wondered what hed do to peca. hmm, well ok, thats what he did. its terrible. im all for intensity, you have to be intense to play anywhere near the top of your game, but tucker seems to think the future of his familys life is at stake.

its rather sick to me. after what ive seen of tucker, i do believe he was intending to injure. and not just cause peca told reporters that tucker told him that personally, but because of what i saw from the comfort of my living room.

its terrible for the game.

the game i say.

its a game.

its not life.

------------------
-deathbear

MBH, if the tape which laviolette says he has showing corson 'kicking' cairns does exist, i'm sure we can both agree that is dirty.

The tape?!? Did you watch the game? Corson got his ass kicked by Cairns and cleary kicked Cairns out of frustration. Breaking News: Corson has been suspended for Game 7. It is ironic that the Leafs get suspended for their most most minimal foul. I think the league is just trying to make up for the fact that they dropped the ball by not severly penalizing Tucker, Roberts or McClaren for earlier actions.

Personally, I think that Corson's skills have diminished greatly and he has changed & become even more aggresive and even dirty as he nears 36 years of age(it's a shame really b/c Corson was a hell of a well-rounded player; in fact, I believe the Isles tried to obtain him from Montreal in the 90's b4 he went to Edmonton).

and from what i've read the isles fans were not very friendly last nite: booing the anthem, chanting USA during it, and shame on the coliseum staff and the nhl officials for allowing tucker and the fans to bark at one another in the box.

Yes, the fans booed the Canadien Anthem(sung by Jamie Lynn Sigler aka Meadow Soprano from the Soprano's on HBO). As I said in a previous post, that is a disgraceful act. It is a select minority who does the booing and I hope the booing is directed toward the leafs and not the anthem. Either way it is a disgrace. However, I hope you don't dislike all Isles fans or America b/c of a few stupid fans.

As for the staff at the Coliseum: I work at the Coliseum part time as an usher(hence, my attendance at every game) and personally know much of the security staff there. I can assure you that they do an excellent job of controlling the crowd. I realize that a few fans were hitting the glass surrounding the penalty box when Tucker was in there near the end of the game. A security guard directed the fans to lay off. Remember, 100 security guards(appx.) cannot control over 16,000 fans. Especially when booze is involved. I can't speak for all of the idiotic fans who do stupid things(and all fans of all teams have fans like this), I can only defend my own actions.

By the way, what is the word in Toronto regarding the hits? I assume it is considered acceptable. Every town is biased toward there teams.

Look forward to game 7.

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-29-2002).]

I'm a Leaf fan, I live in Toronto, I support the team. I don't necessarily agree with the nasty hits that have ravaged this series. It's not OK for anyone to go out and purposely cause injury to another. I think it is a sport that has alot of contact good or bad. I'm going to game 7. Hope it's a good game. I hope it's not ugly. Will it stop me from watching - most certainly not - I wouldn't be a Canadian if I didn't love hockey - warts and all.

Of course don't mean any disrespect to any Cdn who might not enjoy hockey like the rest of us
wink.gif
- had to add that in as I don't want to be flamed by fellow Cdns - heck that would be as bad as booing our anthem
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by WhackaMole (edited 04-29-2002).]

Originally posted by WhackaMole:
I'm a Leaf fan, I live in Toronto, I support the team. I don't necessarily agree with the nasty hits that have ravaged this series. It's not OK for anyone to go out and purposely cause injury to another. I think it is a sport that has alot of contact good or bad. I'm going to game 7. Hope it's a good game. I hope it's not ugly. Will it stop me from watching - most certainly not - I wouldn't be a Canadian if I didn't love hockey - warts and all.

Of course don't mean any disrespect to any Cdn who might not enjoy hockey like the rest of us
wink.gif
- had to add that in as I don't want to be flamed by fellow Cdns - heck that would be as bad as booing our anthem
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by WhackaMole (edited 04-29-2002).]

Since hockey is the 4th sport here in the states, I am curious to know the intensity of hockey in Canada.

I realize that it is the #1 sport and most people love it. Is Toronto truly a bigger hockey town than Montreal? Are the Leafs front page news? Which is the least popular Canadien team?(Vancouver?); Is Canada resentful b/c the US now was awarded some Canadien teams in the late 90's(Winnipeg, Quebec)

Just curious.

Tomorrow the Isles will seek revenge for '78....

MBH,

I can't speak for the rest of the cities in Canada, but here in Vancouver, the Canucks have been front page news ever since last month while they were on there winning streak. Yeah, hockey is THE sport in Canada. In Toronto and Montreal, it's pretty much their religion. Out here on the West coast, we're a little more laid back than those in the East, but we do take it to heart. It's always a topic of discussion (when they're in the playoffs, anyway), and we are proud to have the NHL and the Canucks in our city.

So yeah, hockey is the biggest sport in Vancouver, too. Every NHL city in Canada loves their team, from the Oilers to the Senators. If I had to pick the two biggest hockey cities in Canada, it would be Toronto and Montreal, hands down.

Oh, by the way MBH, in English Canada we spell it "Canadian," not Canadien.
smile.gif

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-29-2002).]

On a side note, I was truly impressed with the class that our city showed during the US national anthem in game 6. All the fans cheered. And one of the commentators (for HNIC on CBC) said he'd never heard any crowd -- in the 25 years he's been at hockey games -- ever sing Oh Canada as loudly and passionately as they did on Saturday night at GM Place. So, yeah, I guess that answers the question whether Vancouver is a big hockey town.

------------------
The Tempest

haha, I'm following you around here Michael....

But just to add...the Montreal crowd cheered quite loudly for the U.S. anthem, too.

Granted, they had to have 2 hockey players (Gilmour and ???) ask the audience in english and french to respect and appreciate the anthems. But it seems to have worked!
smile.gif

Your frequent mention of rough play, everyone hits in the NHL and your attitude that the events are not unbelievable or outstanding are not only inaccurate, but insulting. I acknowledged that Webb et al have performed some questionable and/or dirty plays and you could do the same. Ignorance and fans speaking w/their heart is a frustrating exercise. Objectivity is all but lost in sports.

As for Jonsson: the rule states that a player is to be thrown out(match penalty) of the game if the player that is hit shows a HEAD or Neck injury.

Jonsson was down on the ice barely conscious for approximately 5 minutes and his movement was minimal. That is clear evidence of an injury to the head. Roberts should have been tossed. In fact, the NHL, on Saturday, acknowledged that Roberts should have been tossed. It is now water under the bridge. In fact, I am surprised that Roberts dished out that hit since he is a good veteran player and suffered a similar hit a few years back.

Remember, just b/c it is playoff hockey, does not mean that violent play is acceptable by ANY team.

IMA, the 3 game suspension of McClaren is a joke. He should be banned for the rest of the playoffs, fined a significant sum and banned for the 1st 15 games of next season. The stricter the penalty, the less dirty play may occur. Without these penalties, this garbage will continue....

MBH, i really don't think we differ on all that much here in opinion, aside from who want to win tommorow night
smile.gif

i never said violent play was acceptable. i said it was unsurprising. that is the direction that the playoffs, and hockey in general, is headed. i also never said it pleases me. i already acknowledged corson knew what he was doing. i also conceded in my second post that he probably should have gotten the game. i can sufficiently identify when my own team is playing dirty.

please stop assuming i luv the hooligans game. nothing is further from the truth. as i said earlier the hits corson, webb, domi, and maclaren toss out there are problematic. the hooliganism quinn and laviolette come to the rink with and the threat to take out top players by michel therien are problematic. they are systemically problematic within the game. the whole of the nhl suffers from it. take one look at the florida panthers, the debatable leaders of hooliganism this season past, and you have to wonder if the fans of miami will ever enjoy real hockey. i don't know how to fix it, and i'm sure it is a seemingly insurmountable task, but i would think it has to start from the bottom and the top: the nhl'ers have to gain respect(and maybe reduce their pad size) as do the tykes.

btw, i did watch the game but had not seen the kick. i was told by a friend, who works in a toronto newspapers sports department that laviolette claimed he had a tape showing corson kicking. hence the 'if the tape...' comment. that is all i meant. there was also a missed headbutt by cummins if i remember correctly.

oh and i never meant my depiction of part of the new york crowd to portray Isles or their fans, NYC, NY, or the States. **edit: i am all canadian, but my mom is american. i have spent much time in your nation and enjoy its people and places, thus am very fond of it. however i am much fonder of my own
smile.gif
your city kicks ass, though not as cool as montreal.

once again enjoy tommorow nights match
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-30-2002).]

Being from Toronto and being a Leaf fan - well hockey season is very stressful I must say. I live and breath hocky come the playoffs in this town. Of course the Raptors are taking some of the heat off of the Leafs but I can understand why alot of players can't take the pressure that the media and the people of the city give them. They jump on and off the bandwagon so many times in the span of the playoffs it gets a little humorous after awhile. I don't think Leaf fans, during the playoffs know what's going on in the world other the who the next matchup will be
wink.gif
All kidding aside, Toronto is a hockey town - we love our hockey and win or lose we'll still be Leaf fans - looking for the cup - and everyone calling us losers but hey we love the game
smile.gif

As for the Corson suspension - he and Darcy should go to an anger management session or take some Dr. Jekyl meds cause there is absolutely no reason to play like they have being playing. I know they play with emotion and they play with grit and if they could just keep the anger in check I think we'd do alright.

Peace and on the Game 7...Habs looked mighty fine last night...but wish Gilmour was wearing Blue and White...

Back
Top Bottom