another computer question thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
our favourite aussie admin - the always smiling angela harlem - is in need of some answers and since the problem is her crappy computer I get to plead and beg you all for possible solutions since she can't post herself without her comp yelling at her

the problems are quite basic really:
nothing runs
msn explorer, firefox and stinger + spybot and any other application she tries to run crashes constantly

if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, solutions
please post it here

the person who has been the most helpful wins
well, nothing
but immense gratitude will be beamed your way

:)

spyboy finds this same problem when it is allowed to run without dying which is:
DSO Exploit

It also keeps finding something called Avenue A, Inc.

Anyone have a clue what these are?

And also why does some Netscape error keep popping up when firefox dies? I dont use netscape and dont even think its installed.

My comp is a communist bastard.
:mad:

Angela Harlem said:
spyboy finds this same problem when it is allowed to run without dying which is:
DSO Exploit

It also keeps finding something called Avenue A, Inc.

Anyone have a clue what these are?

I don't know everything about it, but I did Google a bit. It appears that Avenue A, Inc. is a tracking cookie and keeps coming back (when you visit a site that installs this cookie). I don't know if you still use Internet Explorer or only Firebird now, but I think Firebird will give less problems with this.
BTW, in Firebird, go to Tools -> Options and then the Privacy tab. There is a section on cookies, which includes the button Stored Cookies. If you click that one, you can see all the cookies stored on your computer for Firebird. Additionally, you can selectively remove cookies and set the option never to accept them again. This is a great way to remove all those advertising cookies (and prevent them from appearing again). You may look if a cookie from Avenue A, Inc. is stored on your computer through Firebird (Avenue A, Inc. is a real life advertising agency, after all). It may take a while to wade through all of your cookies, but you'll always feel better after a good clean-up (just as in real life ;)).

And also why does some Netscape error keep popping up when firefox dies? I dont use netscape and dont even think its installed.

Mozilla/Firebird is based on the Netscape code (which was made public in the late Nineties), so that's why they still use the Netscape identification tag. Nowadays, versions of Netscape are based on Mozilla.

As for the actual reason why your computer is constantly crashing, I don't know. :shrug: Sorry. :hug:

Still, I hope this information helped at least a little bit.

C ya!

Marty (checks his cookies again)

P.S. MG, you're not dumb. At most 'computerally challenged' :p

DSO exploit used to be a security error in IE but if you run windows update regularely you should have downloaded a patch and it's probably fixed by now. However, there is a bug in Spyware S&D so it doesn't recognize if it's been fixed or not so it reports it every time you run it (mine does it all the time). Basically, if you're windows is up to date you don't have anything to worry about. I believe Avenue A is spyware and you should delete it if your pc allows you to.

I'm not sure but I think Firefox is based on Netscape so it's not uncommon to have an error reported in a netscape window. But I don't know for sure, maybe anybody else here knows more about that.

Basically what you should always do first if your computer gives you crap (and if it allows you to):
- run windows update.
- update your virus definitions and scan your pc.
- update Spybot S&D and run it.
- download
Ad-Aware, update it and run it because sometimes it finds stuff Spybot does not.

If all this doesn't work, tell us what OS you are running on what type of computer. You might have to go back to a previous restore point or re-install your Windows. Maybe you should back-up important stuff because you'll never know what type of crap your commie comp will give you later on.

Hehe Popmartijn stole my netscape thunder! :wink: Btw maybe you should delete all your cookies and temp files just to be on the safe side.

about a week or so ago i couldn't open up any of my browsers. not netscape, not IE, not even mozilla. i could connect to the internet but i could only get on my messengers. i tried reinstalling windows, defragmenting, using adaware, still nothing worked. i downloaded a free trojan horse scanner from www.your-soft.com. it found and cleaned a trojan horse and then everything worked ok. dunno if that helps or if it's even the same problemn but maybe it's worth a try :shrug:

thank you marty and dr t!

i cleared the cookies and then did a windows update. i did the update 3 times as it was missing 17 critical components, then 20, then 19...i think i have them all now. i only run win 98 and try to avoid ie as much as possible.

i'm d/ling the ad-aware thingy now. www.your-soft.com couldn't be found abel. :huh:
but thanks so much everyone. it's very greatly appreciated.
:)

For any Windows OS, download Startup Control Panel by clicking here. Once you start it, you can use it to disable any programs that start-up that you might not want to start-up. I don't know how much computer knowledge you have for dealing with such a thing, so if you want, feel free to post screenshots of the different tabs and I can tell you what to disable in it, or you can send them to me via e-mail or send me a PM and I'll give you my info so you can contact me via AIM and I'll try and walk you through it. Generally this program will uncover any malicious things that are automatically starting that are causing problems. However it's not like a virus or spyware scan, you have to know what your looking at since not everythign listed is necesarily "bad."

When in doubt, backup, reformat, and reinstall.

Or--in your case--dump Windows 98, backup, reformat, and reinstall with Windows 2000...lol.

Melon

Or Linux :up: Redhat, Debian, Mandrake take your pick.

Although for gaming XP cannot be beaten, which is of course why I am running XP of my main system.

A_Wanderer said:
Or Linux :up: Redhat, Debian, Mandrake take your pick.

Although for gaming XP cannot be beaten, which is of course why I am running XP of my main system.

SuSE looks to be very promising for the home user, and the plus, so far, is that it is owned and developed by a major corporation, Novell. SuSE 9.1 is pretty user-friendly. I'd be curious to see what Novell can cook up for version 10.

But yeah...only dual-boot systems for me, for now.

Melon

Nup, this 98 is the last Windows this comp is going to see.
As soon as it is entirely obsolete, I'm going to dig out the Commodore64 and sit on my arse in front of the tv as opposed to the comp :D
I protest selling more of my soul to the satan spawn which is MS.

Techie2000 I got no idea what half of these things are, but it looks rather nifty anyway :D

Attachments

• startup.jpg
    startup.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 29
printray.exe is a program for your lexmark printer.
loadpowerprofile is your computer's power management
loadqm.exe is msn queue manager loader (not a virus)
regshave cleans up some registry entries after or before installation of software from fuji.
scanregw.exe is a windows program that checks for errors when you boot up.
systray.exe is a microsoft program too, it runs the system tray, which is where the clock is displayed. it also runs all the program icons.
taskmon.exe is the windows task optimizer. it's used by the defrag program so programs and files you access will run faster.

so none of those programs are a virus. :D (don't think i'm a computer genius or anything, i just googled them.)

Back
Top Bottom