Another BCS Failure - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Another BCS Failure

Cal should be in a BCS game.

While the system worked in getting #1 and #2 in a final game, the rest of the field is a near disaster.

Discuss

Old 12-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Cal lost to #1
Texas lost to #2

Each has one loss.

Cal should have the spot based on losing only once and to the #1 ranked team in the country.

It's a shame.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:35 AM
the post-season system in college football can never be and will never be right. even if you go to an 8 team playoff system... if a team ranked 9th beat a team ranked 7th, and the team ranked 9th doesn't get into the playoffs, there's still gonna be some bitching going on. there's bitching with teams that miss the NCAA tourney in basketball, too... and they take 65 teams. there's always gonna be screw ups... but at least... for once... they got the national championship game right.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Of course with Auburn 12-0, with the 9th toughest schedule in the NCAA( if I recall the graphic had Oklahoma's schedule ranked like 25 and USC's like 37), there's a very good argument that they didn't even get #1 and #2 correct.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

point
Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder why Auburn did not rank higher in the "human" polls? Was USC-Oklahoma decided from the beginning?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

USC was preseason #1, Okla was top 5, may have been # 2 in both polls, and Auburn started season ranked 17, so because of the very flawed polling system, a guy who puts USC 1, Okla 2 and Auburn 17 in August isn't gonna put Auburn ahead of the others in Nov/Dec if they all are unbeaten, regardless of the path each takes to get there. (USC's close shave with a very average UCLA team Saturday shows me Pete Carroll has some work to do to prepare for the Orange Bowl)
Old 12-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Oklahoma will be formidable.

UCLA played their hearts out.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
Babyface

You have a point. Auburn started too low. That is why you at least need a few playoff games so a team that has dominated like Auburn can prove it self. They did everything right but can't play for the national championship.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Auburn dominated the best conference in college football....and doesn't even get a chance at a national title...wtf!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I live in Berkeley; I went to Berkeley; I cannot believe Cal got screwed so badly. What a travesty. The only reason Texas is going to Pasadena and we aren't is because Texas's coach was classlessly politicking for votes. Cal had a ridiculously good offense this year--we went 10-1, lost to USC by 6 points on the road in a game we dominated, and won the rest of our games by an average of 24 points!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 AM   #12
The Fly

Any team that schedules The Citadel doesn't deserve to play in the national championship game.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Cal definitely got screwed over, but that just proves the flaws in the current system. Pitt is far less deserving a BCS game than Cal, but because they won the big east they go...same goes for Michigan and Va Tech to some extent.
They should have matched up games thus:
USC vs OKLA (Orangutan)
AUB vs Va Tech (Sugar)
Cal vs Texas (Rose)
Utah vs Boise St (Fiesta)
I think Texas vs Cal would be a great game, give Pitt and Michigan lesser games like Holiday or Gator Bowl, and give Boise St a reward for going undefeated

As for Auburn scheduling Citadel, thats been a traditional game for years, and take it away they still went 11-0 and dominated the SEC, regarded as best conference...and one could argue that Citadel is a tougher opponent this year than Houston or Baylor who were on Oklahoma's schedule.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:28 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey, I'm an Auburn fan also (they are probebly my 2nd favorite team). But they are paying for scheduling the Citadel AND Louisiana Monroe. I mean COME ON! At least play division 1 teams! When did The Citadel become a rivalry with Auburn???? When I lived down there they didnt even play them at all. A rivalry typically means the wins and losses go back and forth and both teams play every year and have for many years. I dont think The Citadel meets that criteria in ANY way.

You can go through the match ups on who played who close and you are going to find every single team on this list should have lost to some mediocre opponents. Texas should have lost to Kansas. Cal should have lost to Oregon, etc...

What makes me sick is Mack Brown's whining seems to have paid off. Cal was one play away from being undefeated. Sorry Trojan fans they outplayed you. Just didnt get it on the scoreboard. But winning the title takes winning those kind of games when you shouldnt so I will give you that. But Cal should probebly be in the Rose Bowl.

I'm a Michigan fan and I dont think we should be in the Rose Bowl. Should be the Citrus, thats how good we are this year. But I like that they are underdogs. Thats typically when Michigan wins, when they shouldnt. Then again I dont think its ridiculous that we are there either. Pitt being in the Fiesta Bowl. That is ridiculous.

I agree that they will never get it right as Headache says. But I think some form of a playoff is better than what they have now. I think it will happen, just not in the near future.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:39 PM   #15
New Yorker

I actually prefer the old system of bowls and not the BCS points system for some reason.