Another BCS Failure - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:41 PM
There still could be a legit national champ this year if Va Tech upsets Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. I could see that happening if they're still moping about the whole BCS thing (even though they really did get screwed).

I saw the USC/Va. Tech kickoff classic this year, first college football game I've been to in decades. USC has got some unbelievable talent at the skill positions.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 AM
I gotta agree with you, I am inclined to believe that SC will come out firing! the Trojan were flat with UCLA, they had just come off that win over ND...I really think the championship game will bring out the best in them...admittedly, I know very little about OK except that they LOST last year against Kansas State and LSU...

:smirk:

Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:41 PM
The OK/USC game is an excellent match up. Both teams have great offenses and decent defense. You would think it might be a shoot out. Which means it will probebly be a low scoring game! The only bowl match up I see that is not very interesting is the Pitt/Utah Fiesta bowl
Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 PM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
I actually prefer the old system of bowls and not the BCS points system for some reason.
While the BCS is poor, nothing was worse than the old system. Under the old system Auburn goes to the Sugar, OU goes to the Orange, and USC goes to the Rose. No bowl would have anything close to a #1 vs #2 match up.

The old system was responsible for Penn State not playing Nebraska in 1994.

It was responsible for Miami not playing Washington in 1991.

It was responsible for Colorado not playing Georia Tech in 1990.

It was reponsible for Nebraska not playing Michigan in 1997.

All of the above were clear cut 1 vs 2 matchups that the fans were denied.

Still wanna go back to the good ole' days?

The BCS is acceptable if you look upon it as a "work in process". the university presidents are like crabby old bosses too set in their ways. They will never accept sweeping changes, you just have to impliment them over time. Eventually we will get a BCS type system that uses the bowls as a springboard to at least a 4 team playoff. The key will be the pressure put forth by the networks.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #20
War Child

I'm sorry, but the notion that the SEC is the best conference in the nation is theory at best. UGA, UT, and LSU were major underachievers this season. After those three plus Auburn, what have you got?

Their collective non-conference schedule is a who's who list of mid-major programs. Vandy actually lost at home to U Maine! (ouch!)

Guess how many games the SEC played against teams from other BCS conferences?

Answer: 7 among the SEC's 12 member programs. SEVEN!!!!

(Notre Dame, Oregon St, Rutgers, Clemson, Indiana, Georgia Tech, and Texas)

The SEC's record in these games was only 3-4, with the best win coming vs Georgia Tech.

Of those 7 games, how many were played on the road?

Answer: 1 !! One non-conference game on the road against a BCS program...In the entire SEC!! And that was a traditional home and home rivalry (Georgia at Georgia Tech).

Compare this with a conference that took a lot of heat this year, the Big 10(11). With one fewer team than the SEC, the Big 10 managed to play 15 non conference games against BCS competition. And 9 of those games were on the road.

Auburn could very well be the best team in the nation, but they didn't exactly go out of their way to prove it.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 AM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
Cal... lost to USC by 6 points on the road in a game we dominated...
Without question Cal was the better team on the field that day. Aaron Rodgers looked phenomenal.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
The only bowl match up I see that is not very interesting is the Pitt/Utah Fiesta bowl
Actually that may be a pretty good game, Pitt's good (though not as good as last year since Fitzgerald left early, and def. not BCS material), and nobody pays much attention to the Utes, but I saw a couple of their games, they're a darn good football team.
And for those who might be inclined to wager, my first look Bowl Season tip is to jump on Pitt +16.5 (currently, up from opening line of 15) vs the Utes.

Of course the game that might be most fun to watch is the Liberty Bowl, Louisville vs. Boise St...if the weather in Memphis is good, we're talkin points aplenty.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Actually that may be a pretty good game, Pitt's good (though not as good as last year since Fitzgerald left early, and def. not BCS material), and nobody pays much attention to the Utes, but I saw a couple of their games, they're a darn good football team.
And for those who might be inclined to wager, my first look Bowl Season tip is to jump on Pitt +16.5 (currently, up from opening line of 15) vs the Utes.

Of course the game that might be most fun to watch is the Liberty Bowl, Louisville vs. Boise St...if the weather in Memphis is good, we're talkin points aplenty.
I agree about the Liberty Bowl, I think its a better game than the Fiesta. Nothing about the Fiesta match up is intrigueing IMO. Utah wants to show they are legit, the wont get it if they beat Pitt. If Pitt beats them then Utah are exposed as a complete fraud. Either way I just dont think its that interesting. Would have been interesting to see them go up against a true BCS team to see if they were for real this year.

Actually check out the New Years Eve night and day bowls. There are some excellent match ups there. Fortunately I can watch most of them, but the ones that night I will miss. It is New Years Eve after all. Not one of my favorite holidays but I'm going to a party anyway.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:01 PM   #24
New Yorker

Of course the old "system" had its flaws but I missed the pageantry that was involved with each every bowl. All the major bowl games felt more important than they do now. Replacing one bad system with a mediocre system doesn't get me all excited either. All or nothing is how I feel.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:40 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Face it...12 games is not enough to pick out the top 2 or 4 teams in the country. The NCAA should just drop the BCS and the whole charade of "objectively" picking the national championship game, or go to a 8/16 team playoff. Period.