Angelina's Press Requests At Mighty Heart Premiere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
abcnews.com

Jolie Decrees No Personal Questions From Media, Bans Fox

June 14, 2007 —

It was the movie premiere of "A Mighty Heart," and its star proved she didn't have much of one when it came to the media.

Angelina Jolie was in New York Wednesday to promote her film about freedom of the press but made every effort to curtail the very theme the movie draws on.

In the movie, Jolie plays the widow of the late Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and killed while on assignment in Pakistan investigating the case of would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid.

According to a report on Foxnews.com, journalists were asked to sign a contract before interviewing Jolie.

Reporters reportedly were presented with an agreement drawn up by Jolie's lawyer, Robert Offer. The contract closely instructed reporters on what they could, and mostly could not, ask the starlet.

The unusual press restrictions were particularly ironic, because proceeds from the premiere were intended to support Reporters Without Borders, an organization that battles censorship and laws that undermine press freedom.

Jolie picked the wrong event to manhandle the press.

Calls to Jolie's attorney went unreturned.

The contract barred reporters from asking "Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships. In the event Interviewer does ask Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships," it added, "Ms. Jolie will have the right to immediately terminate the interview and leave."

It further stated, "The interview may only be used to promote the Picture. In no event may Interviewer or Media Outlet be entitled to run all or any portion of the interview in connection with any other story. & The interview will not be used in a manner that is disparaging, demeaning, or derogatory to Ms. Jolie."

If that wasn't enough, the Jolie contract also advised reporters who breached the agreement that "the tape of the interview will not be released to Interviewer." Such a violation, the reporter thus agreed by signing the agreement, would "cause Jolie irreparable harm" and make it possible for her to sue the interviewer and seek a restraining order.

The press wasn't going to refrain from reporting on Jolie's attempt to manage it, Foxnews.com reported that both USA Today and The Associated Press canceled interviews with Jolie. She then scrapped print interviews altogether when she learned of their reaction.

According to Fox, Jolie took her press wrangling one step further. She told Paramount Pictures, the company behind the film, to keep Fox News and all its affiliates off the red carpet. It was only after the Paramount staff intervened that a Fox camera crew was granted a spot. This after Fox called the film "excellent."

A rep for Reporters Without Borders was unavailable for comment, but the France-based organization will most likely think twice about supporting Jolie's future endeavors. Jolie's interpretation of freedom of the press is after all, not so free.

That's just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Fox News is as free as they want to talk about Angelina Jolie and her movies. They just won't get an interview with her.

Big deal. I just hope Fox News shrugs this off and says "who cares," rather than making a big hoopla and crying foul, spending hours on the air talking about how they're being persecuted by Angelina Jolie.

Maybe if there were actual censorship going on.

I can maybe see an eyebrow or two raised at banning Fox from showing up ... but is it a public event? Or is a red carpet thing a private affair? If it's private, I say let the celebs pick and choose who they want there.

But it's not just Fox, what about the other demands? They seem extreme. I know celebs do try to control interviews but there seems to be such a reaction to it that it must be out of the ordinary. She's on Larry King tonight to promote the movie, did he agree to all that?

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to set parameters around her interviews. Maybe she's made requests about that in the past and had those requests ignored, so she felt she had to take more extreme measures.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for papers or news channels to decide they don't want to do agree to those terms.

I would guess either Larry King agreed to those terms, or maybe she makes exceptions to this rule. Larry King seems like an ass-kisser in interviews, so it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed to do whatever she tells him to do.

Well Anderson Cooper got a lil bit of personal stuff out of her, but he's Anderson Cooper-a man I think is much sexier than Brad Pitt.

That would be great tv if Larry got all inappropriate with his questions and she stormed off or something :corn:

I think she's beautiful (but she is too thin now, yikes). Brad was beautiful in Legends Of The Fall. He looks good in the Ocean movies too. I think she's talented, a better actor than he is.

I agree with the above. Although I didn't see Legends of the Fall. I'm not in the "Brad Pitt is such a hunky hottie" camp, but he is very appealing in the Ocean's movies.

But I think Angelina is beautiful (but yes, way too skinny these days) and very talented. She's not my favorite celeb to follow, but she's interesting.

I want to believe she had good intentions, wanting to focus media attention on the movie rather than her personal life, but she could've found much more subtle ways of doing that.

I've seen the preview for this movie a few times, and I plan to go see it if it's shown here. It looks very good.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'm aware I find myself in a tiny minorty that doesn't see either as beautiful. (I was paying more attention to Aidan Quinn in Legends of the Fall :wink: )

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I want to believe she had good intentions, wanting to focus media attention on the movie rather than her personal life, but she could've found much more subtle ways of doing that.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It would be beyond annoying if you get out of, say, every 50 questions when you are promoting a movie 40 of them are about gossip level bullshit. I'd say she's definitely been more subtle in the past - virtually all interview situations like this have boundaries set, and virtually always reporters take a shot at breaking them anyway - and she's just sick of it and so has gone to this 'extreme' measure.

She should have justified the Fox ban by saying "I'm already doing an interview with one entertainment channel that occasionaly masquerades itself as news - E! - and I figured that was enough."

Ha! ^

I have no problem with Angelina wanting to keep the focus on the movie and not her personal life. Its a serious subject and she probably doesn't want it trivialized with stuff that's none of our business.... although "we" are very interested.... after all enquiring minds want to know....:wink:

Actors routinely do this nowadays. Tom Cruise always does it, I think George Clooney has done it for a while, etc. I don't blame her.

I totally don't blame her. She is there to do a job, to promote her movie. If I am travelling for work and representing my company, I wouldn't really want to spend time answering questions about my private life. It's none of anyone else's business. Why should so-called celebrities have to prostitute their private lives on the altar of our entertainment? :shrug:

She was on Jon Stewart tonight :up:
She said "her people" requested the guidelines that they did, but it was not something forced to be signed. They were looking out for her. But she & Jon were good. There could be a clip up on Comedy Central (too lazy to check)

I see what everyone is saying, but that's Hollywood-that's the way it is. She had no problem talking about her and Billy Bob ----ing in the car on their way to an awards show or whatever it was during that infamous moment. Talk about personal. She's not the same person now, I understand that. She and Brad have more than enough money to retire now if they want to get away from all that. Maybe they will soon :shrug:

Larry King kissed her butt, and also got personal if you ask me. I guess just not too personal for her taste.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think she's beautiful (but she is too thin now, yikes). Brad was beautiful in Legends Of The Fall. He looks good in the Ocean movies too. I think she's talented, a better actor than he is.

I agree.

Although, he was very good in Seven and fantastic in Fight Club.

anitram said:

Although, he was very good in Seven and fantastic in Fight Club.

True-but Seven scared me so much I didn't even notice:wink:. I think maybe some men in Hollywood are so beautiful/good looking that their acting isn't taken as seriously, maybe that's true for Brad to a certain extent. Of course it's also the roles they choose and other factors.

I don't fault Angelina for this, especially since it involves the story of Daniel Pearl and I understand why she wants to promote and preserve the integrity of that story and his life without her life distracting from that. She discussed that on Larry King. But when Tom Cruise was the same about interviews before he did a complete 360 and made his personal life so public people called him a control freak.

I am definitely seeing Mighty Heart next Friday.

Ok, I just read this on people.com and I see what was going on...

Stewart asked Jolie about a FOX News story claiming that journalists at a junket on Wednesday had been asked to sign a contract before talking to her requiring that they not ask about her personal life – a common request at press events.

"There was a memo that went out to ask people if they would sign it that said, 'Don't get into personal questions, focus on the movie,' and things like that," Jolie explained. "It was from my representative trying to be protective of me, but it was excessive and I wouldn't have put it out there."

On Thursday, Jolie's lawyer, Robert Offer, issued a mea culpa, telling The New York Times the document was the fault of a "bone-headed, overzealous lawyer" – himself – and that Jolie hadn't been aware of it.

"This was my creating something to protect her from the press's talking about personal matters, a document that would limit discussion to the film," he said. "But it was drafted overly broadly. It was well intended, but I understand how it was received."

Last edited:
I work for a film mag in the UK and we have to sign or at least verbally agree to these things all the time. In fact, it's very rare we don't. This is just being made into a big deal because it's Angelina Jolie.

Slapnutz said:
I work for a film mag in the UK and we have to sign these things all the time. In fact, it's very rare we don't. This is just being made into a big deal because it's Angelina Jolie.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing :) I guess we just don't hear about it that often and it probably is because it's her. Of course Fox makes a big deal because that's what Fox does and they want to make themselves a victim and all that..

But now you can't ask her to leave Brad for you if you get to interview her :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:

That's interesting, thanks for sharing :) I guess we just don't hear about it that often and it probably is because it's her. Of course Fox makes a big deal because that's what Fox does and they want to make themselves a victim and all that..

But now you can't ask her to leave Brad for you if you get to interview her :wink:
I finally got the chance! I spoke to her about the Mr and Mrs Smith Unrated release and A Mighty Heart. She was lovely.

And yes, there was a verbal agreement. :D

Slapnutz said:

I finally got the chance! I spoke to her about the Mr and Mrs Smith Unrated release and A Mighty Heart. She was lovely.

And yes, there was a verbal agreement. :D

Wow that's awesome-how great for you that your wish came true like that. You must tell us more than that! :wink: Can you post your interview here, if you feel comfortable doing that of course.

I want to hear all about it :flirt: Was it in person?

I understand that she's thin for that reason, because of the pain over her Mom. I just hope she can start to feel better soon.

Angelina Jolie is finally speaking out about her significant weight loss over the last several months.

At the NYC premiere of A Mighty Heart Wednesday night, Jolie, 32, told reporters that the reason she’s been shedding pounds is because she’s been grieving over the death of her mother, Marcheline Bertrand, who died of ovarian cancer in January.

"I've always been lean and this year I lost my mom and I've gone through a lot,” said the actress, who is currently in New York with boyfriend Brad Pitt, 43, and their children, Maddox, 5, Pax, 3, Zahara, 2, and one-year-old Shiloh.

"I have four kids and I finished breastfeeding – it's been hard to get my nutrition back on track."

Jolie sparked concern among fans earlier this year when her already thin frame grew even smaller and the veins on her arms started protruding. But she insists that vanity is not to blame for her shrinking figure.

"Instead of people saying I look like a person dealing with something emotionally, they assume it's because I want to fit into skinny jeans."

She added, "Someone saying to me that I'm thin is not a compliment.”

MrsSpringsteen said:

Wow that's awesome-how great for you that your wish came true like that. You must tell us more than that! :wink: Can you post your interview here, if you feel comfortable doing that of course.

I want to hear all about it :flirt: Was it in person?
Yeah, the interview was face to face. I was a bit nervous at first but she was really cool actually. Very charming, intelligent and has a wicked sense of humour you don't often get to see. Her assistant, Holly, is also a nice lady - they seem to be more like bestfriends than employer/employee.

We spoke for about 2 hours and then she contacted me at work about three weeks later to ask how the feature was going and other things.

The interview is going to be published in our Sept. issue.

Back
Top Bottom