Angelina's Press Requests At Mighty Heart Premiere - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Angelina's Press Requests At Mighty Heart Premiere

abcnews.com

Jolie Decrees No Personal Questions From Media, Bans Fox

June 14, 2007 —

It was the movie premiere of "A Mighty Heart," and its star proved she didn't have much of one when it came to the media.

Angelina Jolie was in New York Wednesday to promote her film about freedom of the press but made every effort to curtail the very theme the movie draws on.

In the movie, Jolie plays the widow of the late Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and killed while on assignment in Pakistan investigating the case of would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid.

According to a report on Foxnews.com, journalists were asked to sign a contract before interviewing Jolie.

Reporters reportedly were presented with an agreement drawn up by Jolie's lawyer, Robert Offer. The contract closely instructed reporters on what they could, and mostly could not, ask the starlet.

The unusual press restrictions were particularly ironic, because proceeds from the premiere were intended to support Reporters Without Borders, an organization that battles censorship and laws that undermine press freedom.

Jolie picked the wrong event to manhandle the press.

Calls to Jolie's attorney went unreturned.

The contract barred reporters from asking "Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships. In the event Interviewer does ask Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships," it added, "Ms. Jolie will have the right to immediately terminate the interview and leave."

It further stated, "The interview may only be used to promote the Picture. In no event may Interviewer or Media Outlet be entitled to run all or any portion of the interview in connection with any other story. & The interview will not be used in a manner that is disparaging, demeaning, or derogatory to Ms. Jolie."

If that wasn't enough, the Jolie contract also advised reporters who breached the agreement that "the tape of the interview will not be released to Interviewer." Such a violation, the reporter thus agreed by signing the agreement, would "cause Jolie irreparable harm" and make it possible for her to sue the interviewer and seek a restraining order.

The press wasn't going to refrain from reporting on Jolie's attempt to manage it, Foxnews.com reported that both USA Today and The Associated Press canceled interviews with Jolie. She then scrapped print interviews altogether when she learned of their reaction.

According to Fox, Jolie took her press wrangling one step further. She told Paramount Pictures, the company behind the film, to keep Fox News and all its affiliates off the red carpet. It was only after the Paramount staff intervened that a Fox camera crew was granted a spot. This after Fox called the film "excellent."

A rep for Reporters Without Borders was unavailable for comment, but the France-based organization will most likely think twice about supporting Jolie's future endeavors. Jolie's interpretation of freedom of the press is after all, not so free.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:52 AM
That's just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Fox News is as free as they want to talk about Angelina Jolie and her movies. They just won't get an interview with her.

Big deal. I just hope Fox News shrugs this off and says "who cares," rather than making a big hoopla and crying foul, spending hours on the air talking about how they're being persecuted by Angelina Jolie.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

does this belong in FYM ?

since the slant is politics
Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe if there were actual censorship going on.

I can maybe see an eyebrow or two raised at banning Fox from showing up ... but is it a public event? Or is a red carpet thing a private affair? If it's private, I say let the celebs pick and choose who they want there.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 PM
can't say i blame her
Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

But it's not just Fox, what about the other demands? They seem extreme. I know celebs do try to control interviews but there seems to be such a reaction to it that it must be out of the ordinary. She's on Larry King tonight to promote the movie, did he agree to all that?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to set parameters around her interviews. Maybe she's made requests about that in the past and had those requests ignored, so she felt she had to take more extreme measures.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for papers or news channels to decide they don't want to do agree to those terms.

I would guess either Larry King agreed to those terms, or maybe she makes exceptions to this rule. Larry King seems like an ass-kisser in interviews, so it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed to do whatever she tells him to do.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Well Anderson Cooper got a lil bit of personal stuff out of her, but he's Anderson Cooper-a man I think is much sexier than Brad Pitt.

That would be great tv if Larry got all inappropriate with his questions and she stormed off or something
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I don't get the buzz around her and Brad...I don't see either of them as attractive...or all that talented...
Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I think she's beautiful (but she is too thin now, yikes). Brad was beautiful in Legends Of The Fall. He looks good in the Ocean movies too. I think she's talented, a better actor than he is.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I agree with the above. Although I didn't see Legends of the Fall. I'm not in the "Brad Pitt is such a hunky hottie" camp, but he is very appealing in the Ocean's movies.

But I think Angelina is beautiful (but yes, way too skinny these days) and very talented. She's not my favorite celeb to follow, but she's interesting.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I want to believe she had good intentions, wanting to focus media attention on the movie rather than her personal life, but she could've found much more subtle ways of doing that.

I've seen the preview for this movie a few times, and I plan to go see it if it's shown here. It looks very good.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'm aware I find myself in a tiny minorty that doesn't see either as beautiful. (I was paying more attention to Aidan Quinn in Legends of the Fall )
Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 01:52 PM

so , is she going to do Sin City : Dame To Kill For or Not ?

Now that is a Question ?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I want to believe she had good intentions, wanting to focus media attention on the movie rather than her personal life, but she could've found much more subtle ways of doing that.
I don't see anything wrong with it. It would be beyond annoying if you get out of, say, every 50 questions when you are promoting a movie 40 of them are about gossip level bullshit. I'd say she's definitely been more subtle in the past - virtually all interview situations like this have boundaries set, and virtually always reporters take a shot at breaking them anyway - and she's just sick of it and so has gone to this 'extreme' measure.

She should have justified the Fox ban by saying "I'm already doing an interview with one entertainment channel that occasionaly masquerades itself as news - E! - and I figured that was enough."